Unofficial Preview R17 2018 - Crows v Cats, Thurs @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That unlucky person here is Hendo. No reason to be throwing Henry around like that, nor should we be slowing up our back line by throwing someone the size of Hendo. Silly on two fronts. Menzel in for Murdoch.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

There is no way they will leave him out. Despite Kolo and Henry both having had pretty good years, Hendo is a far more accomplished defender than both; particularly if we going into a big final. as bigfarter said, serious case of short memories here - he was one of the best and most consistent defenders in the league in 16/17 - 20th in league for total marks in 2017, 14th in league for intercept marks.

There is no way they will leave him out. Despite Kolo and Henry both having had pretty good years, Hendo is a far more accomplished defender than both; particularly if we going into a big final. as bigfarter said, serious case of short memories here - he was one of the best and most consistent defenders in the league in 16/17 - 20th in league for total marks in 2017, 14th in league for intercept marks.
Hasn’t he been awful in finals?

After a win short memories.

Outs: Murdoch, Menegola
Ins: Menzel, Cunico

Menegola cant play midfield in finals he is just terrible under pressure, makes poor decisions and cant make short passes. (I know Scott and the MC wouldn't be brave enough to do it)

Ablett, Taylor and Bews would also want to improve
I agree with you on Bews but not much else.

Hasn’t he been awful in finals?
Careful now. Some like to pretend our losses (and what caused them) didn't happen. In fairness 2016 prelim wasn't his fault. Suddenly thrown to CHF for a cut throat prelim against an excellent Sydney side. Beyond stupid on our part.

Careful now. Some like to pretend our losses (and what caused them) didn't happen. In fairness 2016 prelim wasn't his fault. Suddenly thrown to CHF for a cut throat prelim against an excellent Sydney side. Beyond stupid on our part.

True. But he had no excuse in the finals against Richmond and Adelaide last year and he was just as bad.

You don't play someone 196cm/98kg in a third tall/intercept roll. Take that s**t into a final against Richmond we will get shredded. Again. Could bring him in for Kolo but that's it. That would also be harsh and short sighted.

Could perhaps get away with Hendo in defense against Adelaide if they play Walker, Jenkins and Lynch but there is no other team you can even contemplate it with.

On output, I'd have Henderson ahead of Kolo, even though I'm a fan of Kolo and think he will be a part of our defence for years to come. If we're trying to win a Premiership this year (unlikely as that is) then don't we go with the best players in the best positions? Good as Kolo's year has been, it's not as good as Hendo was in the past two years. If he's been awful and to blame for our finals losses, I'll concede that if given evidence but my memory is our recent finals losses coming from terrible midfield efforts and non-existent forward structures, leaving our backline constantly under siege. I wouldn't blame Henderson for that, just like I wouldn't blame Henry or Kolo for our defensive performance against Essendon this year.

At least he's having some sort of a day rather than just taking pot shots.
The view on Bews is complete tripe.
It's advice btw. To try and be better.

He's the lockdown in the best defence in the league yet needs to improve. lol wut?
I must have missed all those bags that have been kicked on him.

Yep. Again I can handle Hendo as a key back beside Blics. Think that can be ok. But if we're to do that the time is now and then leave it. Needs time to gel for finals.
On output, I'd have Henderson ahead of Kolo, even though I'm a fan of Kolo and think he will be a part of our defence for years to come. If we're trying to win a Premiership this year (unlikely as that is) then don't we go with the best players in the best positions? Good as Kolo's year has been, it's not as good as Hendo was in the past two years. If he's been awful and to blame for our finals losses, I'll concede that if given evidence but my memory is our recent finals losses coming from terrible midfield efforts and non-existent forward structures, leaving our backline constantly under siege. I wouldn't blame Henderson for that, just like I wouldn't blame Henry or Kolo for our defensive performance against Essendon this year.

True. But he had no excuse in the finals against Richmond and Adelaide last year and he was just as bad.

He had a shocker against Richmond but he was ok against Adelaide and very good against Sydney. If he's fit we'd be mad to leave him out for Henry come finals time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's the lockdown in the best defence in the league yet needs to improve. lol wut?
If I was a Sydney supporter I'd be shattered that Nick Smith keeps shutting down the opposition's best small forwards, yet only gets it 10 times.

That's better.

Particularly from those who continually offer nothing but petty comments.
Well then lets bench Bews for not doing enough :drunk:

And id say maybe 4-5 seconds after Betts kicks his 4th the torrent of the "GFC small defender stocks is rubbish" would be flowing.
Good resolution.

Go Catters

Well then lets bench Bews for not doing enough :drunk:

And id say maybe 4-5 seconds after Betts kicks his 4th the torrent of the "GFC small defender stocks is rubbish" would be flowing.
Good resolution.

Go Catters

People seem to jump to the conclusions they want so they can insult people they dont agree with.

Saying someone should do a bit more doesn't mean bench Bews.

If he has a crap game against the crows then questions should be asked.

People who accept mediocrity dont ask questions they are content with the status quo.

People seem to jump to the conclusions they want so they can insult people they dont agree with.

Saying someone should do a bit more doesn't mean bench Bews.

If he has a crap game against the crows then questions should be asked.

People who accept mediocrity dont ask questions they are content with the status quo.

People who recognise players doing their jobs/roles for the team aren't accepting mediocrity - they are understanding the game and the players role in it.

Am I dong it right?

GO Catters

If I was a Sydney supporter I'd be shattered that Nick Smith keeps shutting down the opposition's best small forwards, yet only gets it 10 times.

Nick Smith averages 16 possessions a game and 2.4 tackles.

Jed Bews is averaging 11 and 1.6 tackles, down from 12.4 and 3 from last year.

As long as he is locking down on the oppositions gun small forward each week (how many sides have a gun small forward?) then it's all good.

Why even worry that we cant even get the ball out of defence.

Nick Smith averages 16 possessions a game and 2.4 tackles.

Jed Bews is averaging 11 and 1.6 tackles, down from 12.4 and 3 from last year.

As long as he is locking down on the oppositions gun small forward each week (how many sides have a gun small forward?) then it's all good.

Why even worry that we cant even get the ball out of defence.
From memory Bews finished 6th in our B&F last year. He's not going to get close to that this year so it's only fair to say that his form has gone backwards.

Put it this way... right now as it stands I can't see Henry or Kola being dropped before Bews is and that's regardless of whether people agree with it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back