No Oppo Supporters OPPOSITION OBSERVATION XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay Smith retired. Not sure who he is either
* he's young. Must be injured again. No.14 for the dogs. Played in the '16 GF. Kicked 4 in the prelim. Had 3 knee reco's. Good player.

The problem with Harvey's plan is teams are too worried about having 1 spare down back because of the pace we have up forward.

You not only need pace you need endurance because it's all well and good being pacey and playing one on one but if you gas early then we are still running.

Port kicked one goal in a half of footy and were lucky we played our worst game all season. A fully fit West Coast still worries me and maybe GWS if they can click and get blokes playing.

Last edited:
Port kicked one goal in a half of footy and were lucky we played our worst game all season. A fully fit West Coast still worries me and maybe GWS if they can click and get blokes playing.
In all honesty, none of these teams worry me in the slightest if we face them in the finals. We were terrible in both the WC and PA games, save for one quarter in each. And during both of those good quarters, both WC and PA looked like they had no idea how to handle us.

We play well against either of them and we win. Comfortably.

In all honesty, none of these teams worry me in the slightest if we face them in the finals. We were terrible in both the WC and PA games, save for one quarter in each. And during both of those good quarters, both WC and PA looked like they had no idea how to handle us.

We play well against either of them and we win. Comfortably.

The issue is keeping it up, have to roll into finals primed and ready to deliver again

The problem with Harvey's plan is teams are too worried about having 1 spare down back because of the pace we have up forward.

You not only need pace you need endurance because it's all well and good being pacey and playing one on one but if you gas early then we are still running.

I’d laugh if Collingwood tried Brent Harvey’s plan. Yeah they have some good quick one on one players, however those players are not in their defence and I’d back Dusty, Caddy and Jack Riewoldt 1v1 in our forward line with their defence before I’d back Jordan de Goey, Jaidyn Stephenson, and Josh Thomas 1v1 against Rance, Grimes and Broad. Especially Grimes who is a damn good lock down defender.

The issue is keeping it up, have to roll into finals primed and ready to deliver again
I think that will happen. As well as our guys have played the last 3 weeks, they've got another gear to go to at least.

That gear won't be hit until the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's amazing you know, this time last year the media had doubts on us and pretty much wrote us off, this year the pies are getting talked up, what it means to be a media darling i guess.

If we were 2nd last year at this stage on the back of massive soft draw you can bet the media would be letting everyone know that was the case and we are not to be considered unless we can beat top 8 quality.

We still haven't beaten anyone good so we can't be taken seriously.

I wont be shocked if we drop off a bit in the last few games, maybe a increased training load?

but I'm kind of with you, i don't know if we can sustain doing this all the way through and leave ourselves room to ramp it right up for finals.

I'd almost rather us build up from the last 3 games then go bang!

having said all of that, i have complete faith in the fitness staff, they havent missed a beat so far.

This worries me as well. We’re all convinced we still have another gear or two to go, but what if we don’t? What if this is the best we’re going to be this year? I have faith in the fitness staff but it almost feels too early. I kind of want to lose a game between now and September, just to keep the players honest and not complacent.

I wont be shocked if we drop off a bit in the last few games, maybe a increased training load?
but I'm kind of with you, i don't know if we can sustain doing this all the way through and leave ourselves room to ramp it right up for finals.
I'd almost rather us build up from the last 3 games then go bang!
having said all of that, i have complete faith in the fitness staff, they havent missed a beat so far.

Reckon the cats do that from the half year break then go BANG!!!

This worries me as well. We’re all convinced we still have another gear or two to go, but what if we don’t? What if this is the best we’re going to be this year? I have faith in the fitness staff but it almost feels too early. I kind of want to lose a game between now and September, just to keep the players honest and not complacent.
Have you considered that we're just much better than Adelaide without even trying?

Actually my only concern is Shedda getting injured. I would put him on ice for a couple of months so he can continue this form in the finals. The Adelaide game saw Martin, Butler, Cotchin, Caddy and Rioli all playing below their best. Plus we have a number of young guys that are still learning.

On top of that, finals are when things get serious, and this team knows that now. Until then they’re just out there having fun. Just wait until they get serious!

NB: I remember when the Tigers were good last time. This year just feels like a return to normality to me!

Have you considered that we're just much better than Adelaide without even trying?

Actually my only concern is Shedda getting injured. I would put him on ice for a couple of months so he can continue this form in the finals. The Adelaide game saw Martin, Butler, Cotchin, Caddy and Rioli all playing below their best. Plus we have a number of young guys that are still learning.

On top of that, finals are when things get serious, and this team knows that now. Until then they’re just out there having fun. Just wait until they get serious!

NB: I remember when the Tigers were good last time. This year just feels like a return to normality to me!
I hope you’re right.

Don't need to lose a game to be kept honest when your ressies are top of the tree putting pressure on anyone who dares thinking of dropping off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back