Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
They're all contracted...
Betts - currently 31yo (32 in November), contracted to 2020 (33yo)
Sloane - currently 28yo, contracted to 2023 (33yo)
Jenkins - currently 29yo, contracted to 2021 (32yo)
Gibbs - currently 29yo, contracted to 2021 (32yo)
Walker - currently 28yo, contracted to 2021 (31yo)
Lynch - currently 27 (28 in September), contracted to 2021 (30/31yo)
Jacobs - currently 30, contracted to 2019 (31yo)
Douglas - currently 31, contracted to 2019 (32yo)

The club used to have a policy of not offering multi-year contracts to players aged 30+. That protocol has clearly been thrown out the window, with so many players signed to multi-year contracts which will take them well into their 30s.

There is obviously a risk/reward balance happening here. Signing the players to longer contracts means that we're able to "keep the gang together", and the longer contracts are probably at lower $ values (per year) than would be the case with shorter contracts. The downside is the risk that some of these players will hit the wall when they still have years left to run on their contracts, resulting in significant payouts.

We haven't had this many players aged 30+ since Craig inherited his own Dad's Army from Gary Ayres.
I am vworried about this. If i hear david mackay is signed up until 33 that will be the final straw. If jenkins is traded end of the year and lynch moved on end of next if he has a poor 2019 the damage can be mitigated.

Last edited:
May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
In her last interview with 5AA, she said she had completely flipped, saying she now thinks he's leaving based on her discussions with some Melbourne people (or words to that effect). Who those people were, of course, she didn't say.
She has the biggest ears I have ever seen on a person and with those earrings on they are longer. Maybe she's hearing too much.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I'm looking forward to Rory getting his first touch. Block tour ears if he hits the scoreboard, particularly if you're sitting anywhere near me.
Sauce to Greenwood quick give over the back to Crouch who gives to Gibbs 1m away, Gibbs slams it on his boot somewhere forward where Tex bricks it and the ball hits the ground only to be scooped up by RORY AND RORY RUNS IN TO THE 50M AREA AND SETS SAIL FOR HOMMMMEEEEEE GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL GOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL

Too much?

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I have no issue with them disregarding that policy for the gun players. Betts, Sloane, Gibbs and Walker obviously fall into that category. Jacobs is as important to us as anybody considering we have no other recognised ruckman on the list. Douglas and Lynch definitely fall into the best bracket of the next category of "not quite gun but still very good" players. Jenkins is the only outlier there, and to be fair he's been very durable and had a late start to the AFL.
I don't have a problem with having so many players aged 30+ on the list, given the quality of the players in question. I do have a problem with having so many players aged 30+ on multi-year contracts, due to the inherent risk that this creates.
The problem with the squad from Gary Ayres' time wasn't the abundance of older players, it was the complete dearth of younger players. We'll still have a good base of players at younger ages to go along with a core of veterans.
Agreed. We're in a much better position now than we were when Craig took over. We currently have 3 teenagers on our team list (yesterday was Poholke's 20th birthday) - Fogarty, McPherson, and Signorello. Fungus Watts was the only teenager on the list that Craig inherited.

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The club used to have a policy of not offering multi-year contracts to players aged 30+. That protocol has clearly been thrown out the window, with so many players signed to multi-year contracts which will take them well into their 30s.
Yeah youre talking 10 years ago though. That protocol isnt going to fly in the era of free agency.

We also used to not give contracts over 3 years. Now 4-5 is pretty common.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sauce to Greenwood quick give over the back to Crouch who gives to Gibbs 1m away, Gibbs slams it on his boot somewhere forward where Tex bricks it and the ball hits the ground only to be scooped up by RORY AND RORY RUNS IN TO THE 50M AREA AND SETS SAIL FOR HOMMMMEEEEEE GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL GOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL

Too much?
Ha ha prolly. A bit.

But I'd take that!

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
In her last interview with 5AA, she said she had completely flipped, saying she now thinks he's leaving based on her discussions with some Melbourne people (or words to that effect). Who those people were, of course, she didn't say.
She said she had changed her opinion on the basis he hadn’t signed yet and that’s what she was hearing from Melbourne clubs.

Again it was her opinion, she never stated she can confirm he’s going. I know we are media paranoid but there is nothing in what she said paints her in a poor light. We all had opinions on whether he was staying or going.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Walsh effect. He wanted Adelaide to feel like a club. If we pushed that 30 line we may have simply pushed players interstate in the prime of their careers. It's a player moral killer that at 28 you will not receive job security long term. I don't mind it. Just means we need to push players into retirement and pay out contracts if needed. It's probably a far better strategy to build a team around then fighting player managers year after year and players feeling devalued.
I'm not suggesting that they should have been (or should be in the future) delisted, traded, or pushed out. There is a significant risk associated with having so many players aged 30+ on multi-year contracts.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

Sam Maclure work for the Age and has claimed the same source that leaked the Crows camp, as a lot of people are believing he was correct about the camp they believe his source was correct about Sloane. oh and Lynch.
Now he will be hanging his hat on McGovern,

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I bloody hope not! The disrespect for Tex in here is disgraceful!
I would hope and meant including Tex in that discussion point. But this is not the thread for it

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Gives us plenty of time to transition our younger players into the side. Particularly with multiple first round draft picks this year, those players will be in their 3rd season come 2021. Fogarty will be a 4th year player and basically our entire forward line will be 30+ by then.

IMO it's good management
Not if we have several of them on $500k/year playing SANFL.

Back