Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

Everytime we've trialled Smith with stints in the middle he barely even resembles a shadow of his normal self. He just can't seem to make it work.

Just seems to read the game so much better from the backlines. We have Atkins, Milera and Seedsman now. Think we should keep Smith where he is most damaging for us.
Nah there were times, can't remember the year any more maybe 2014, when he looked crazy good in there. We've pigeon holed him at HB because there was no one else imo

I hope he does leave/gets delisted as well

We've long shown that we're willing to put up with a worse structure to accommodate him, or leave better options in the reserves.
We'll come up with something

"Manage" Gallucci maybe

Everytime we've trialled Smith with stints in the middle he barely even resembles a shadow of his normal self. He just can't seem to make it work.

Just seems to read the game so much better from the backlines. We have Atkins, Milera and Seedsman now. Think we should keep Smith where he is most damaging for us.
We've never tried him on the middle. Only on the wing that season when he kept getting concussed

I do like how people are trampolines. Jump on jump off jump back on

Its a regular thing for players under 20 games let alone 50. I have been happy with Mileras game and think there is so much more upside. Needs to do a few more things and believe in himself a bit more but tracking nicely. Going to have a real breakout year very soon
I'm an unashamed believer. Think he will be our Burgoyne.

Does drift a bit from game to game in the things he does. One game he'll go in hard tackling with the shoulder down the next game he'll be more of a light touch harasser like Eddie. Not sure how much that has to do with young player inconsistency and how much it has to do with being constantly shifted between positions and getting different messaging from different line coaches.

The thing is what’s the harm in trying? We’ve even tried Mackay in there FFS
That concussion season (2014 maybe?) he absolutely killed it on the wing in the first game. Three Brownlow votes from memory, but got concussed late or perhaps early the next week. Was completely off after that and the experiment died.

We've never tried him on the middle. Only on the wing that season when he kept getting concussed

In the middle for a player like Smith = automatically assumed we were talking about the wing.

Did have a lot of those concussions, you are correct, but he just didn't look anywhere near as comfortable up their regardless. Think that 7th defender is the perfect role. Happy to give him another run, but knowing us if it doesn't work, instead of moving him back after 5 or so games, we will persist with it for 22.

In the middle for a player like Smith = automatically assumed we were talking about the wing.

Did have a lot of those concussions, you are correct, but he just didn't look anywhere near as comfortable up their regardless. Think that 7th defender is the perfect role. Happy to give him another run, but knowing us if it doesn't work, instead of moving him back after 5 or so games, we will persist with it for 22.
We don't play a 7th defender either.

Well, we have 6 + 1 on the bench.

Will be interesting to see what we do.

Talia and Hartigan/Keath the talls
Brown and Laird the smalls
Doedee, Cheney and Kelly the mediums
Smith and Milera the rebounders

That's 9 players for 7 spots. 10 players if we include D Mac.

We've already wimped out by playing Kelly up the field to save ourselves a tough call. I fear we'll wimp out again.

Milera and Smith in the back half would be excellent. Shades of our 97/98 rebound.

What is promising to see is Milera is starting to use his offensive weapons in his pace, run and skill

The slight knock is that when it is his turn he needs to go harder in the air and stick his tackle, still to many missed tackles and soft attempts at a spoil in the air

With that said he must be kept at HB for another year or two to build his game even when Smith returns next year

Smith and Milera runningbif HB in 2019 will be devastating and a nightmare for all opposition teams

We don't play a 7th defender either.

Well, we have 6 + 1 on the bench.

Will be interesting to see what we do.

Talia and Hartigan/Keath the talls
Brown and Laird the smalls
Doedee, Cheney and Kelly the mediums
Smith and Milera the rebounders

That's 9 players for 7 spots. 10 players if we include D Mac.

We've already wimped out by playing Kelly up the field to save ourselves a tough call. I fear we'll wimp out again.

Milera and Smith in the back half would be excellent. Shades of our 97/98 rebound.

We pretty much always have an extra behind the ball which is what I'm talking about. Most teams do, and thus have a 5 forward set up, meaning we generally roll with 6 defenders.

We don't start off with it in most centre bounces, as we have the plus one off the back of the square, but we almost always have Laird loose in general play, prior to that it was more so Smith. Why do you think we are constantly being outnumbered up front?

During the eagles game I noticed we went man on man for once, and in the 4th quarter we put Cheney loose and he mopped up everything and was a vital cog in the comeback. I think we will revert to getting Smith loose again, but having those extra options and pick and choose who we want to use with a direct match up and who we want to loose can only be a good thing for us.

Long term I see Milera in the midfield (wing) anyway.

I do like how people are trampolines. Jump on jump off jump back on

Its a regular thing for players under 20 games let alone 50. I have been happy with Mileras game and think there is so much more upside. Needs to do a few more things and believe in himself a bit more but tracking nicely. Going to have a real breakout year very soon
If people couldn't see the talent in the game v Freo last year, then max coaches votes v GCS this year....well, hard to know what to say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is promising to see is Milera is starting to use his offensive weapons in his pace, run and skill

The slight knock is that when it is his turn he needs to go harder in the air and stick his tackle, still to many missed tackles and soft attempts at a spoil in the air

With that said he must be kept at HB for another year or two to build his game even when Smith returns next year

Smith and Milera runningbif HB in 2019 will be devastating and a nightmare for all opposition teams
In the air I'm not concerned, goes pretty well for a running defender.

However the tackles, yes, he needs to improve. I think he actually contemplates who he is tackling as well. He tackled Ablett twice with gusto last night, but missed tackles on bigger, faster blokes at times.

I'm an unashamed believer. Think he will be our Burgoyne.

Does drift a bit from game to game in the things he does. One game he'll go in hard tackling with the shoulder down the next game he'll be more of a light touch harasser like Eddie. Not sure how much that has to do with young player inconsistency and how much it has to do with being constantly shifted between positions and getting different messaging from different line coaches.
Eddie's an awesome tackler I reckon. The way he grabs the player with one arm, then uses the other to chop at the opposition players arms hence causing the spillage.

He had the perfect tackling technique for tackling bigger players because he knows there's no point in trying to bring them down, all he needs to do is cause incorrect disposal.

Very efficient and much better then tackling someone at the hips only for them to get their arms free and hand ball away.

Wait till he gets stronger again next year.

I think he's definitely bigger this year which has given him massive confidence. He's still only a boy and one that's been skinny all his life. It will take a while to grow into and understand how to use his body. As a skinny guy he spent most of his time using his speed and evading people, which he did extremely well. I keep going back to that SANFL final and am still amazed at the things he did. He just needs to build strength and then understand how to best use it in his game.

His strength has built his confidence, which has allowed him to attack the game and show us the weapons he's always has.

If he builds this strength again I think we will see the another level.

Eddie's an awesome tackler I reckon. The way he grabs the player with one arm, then uses the other to chop at the opposition players arms hence causing the spillage.

He had the perfect tackling technique for tackling bigger players because he knows there's no point in trying to bring them down, all he needs to do is cause incorrect disposal.

Very efficient and much better then tackling someone at the hips only for them to get their arms free and hand ball away.
What about the Dmac death tree hug piggy back for 10 m method?

That concussion season (2014 maybe?) he absolutely killed it on the wing in the first game. Three Brownlow votes from memory, but got concussed late or perhaps early the next week. Was completely off after that and the experiment died.
It was against Collingwood at Etihad. “I was there”. 2014 I think, or maybe even 2015. Smithers played on the wing and murderered the pies that game. Then he got concussed in the final quarter.

It's actually harder than that because Kelly is no longer playing in the backline.

Too many defenders.

Ideally Doedee will step up Rampe style and be able to handle the 2nd tall. Then Hartigan/Keath gets squeezed out against all but the tallest forward lines. We become extremely mobile then with heaps of rebound.

I don't have any faith that this will happen though. We'll just move Smith/Milera somewhere else.
I noticed that on Thursday night when I saw him up in the F50 at one point. It seems like Cheney has come in and squeezed him out of his spot in the backline.

The trouble for Kelly is that I'm not sure if he can play anywhere else. He doesn't have a penetrating kick, so can't play on the wing and I think there are better options in the forward line.

I think Milera's clearly been given the instruction to take the game on at all costs, much like Charlie was instructed to do last season. I think he's also bulked up a lot compared to last season, which has given him the ability and confidence to simply run through tackles, instead of trying to run around people. At the moment he looks like he could definitely be a gun in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back