Strategy Tom Doedee Rising Star campaign

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I think it is fair to say we have all been blown away by just how good Tom has been playing this year. He is absolute quality.

We also know that the Vic media have a big impact on deciding who should win the Rising Star award. They are already claiming Tom and Stephenson are 'neck and neck'. BS they are! Stephenson has been pretty good and has had some moments, but Tom has been exceptional week in and week out.
Unfortunately with Vic media, it is often out of sight, out of mind.

So, I think we need to start a campaign to get Tom over the line. We need start tweeting, Facebook commenting, Instagramming etc... every Vic media outlet. Hit up places like SEN, TripleM Melbourne, 3AW, all of the football shows. Let's put Tom front and centre in their minds.

He certainly deserves it.

He’ll be on the podium for sure, but if Stephenson does win it, it won’t be much of a shock, and Tom does have the benefit of 2 extra preseasons as well as playing an easier position on the field.

FWIW I think he deserves it, he's been brilliant this season, but unfortunately as a defender he doesn't get as much hype (similar to Burton last season with his actual shut-down jobs on players).

Though if the commentators paid attention they'd see a very clean, calm and composed defender who always seems to make the right decision - when to spoil, when to leave his man, decisions with the ball in-hand whilst under pressure (inviting the tackler so he can dish off to someone who has more space, etc). He is doing all the little things that you would expect from a seasoned premiership veteran defender. He reminds me of Enright in that regard.

He and Stephenson are ahead of the pack by a mile currently, but I think the Collingwood factor + goals will mean that Stephenson takes it home.

Tom should win the rising star but the politics invloved will mean stephenson wins it. Although tom should have played about 20 games at afl level before he got his start this year. Said last year he should have been played in season and in the finals over lever when it was obvious lever was going. Has proved now to have been the right call.

Is Stephenson in his first year? I've always thought it was unfair comparing players in their 2nd or 3rd season on an an AFL list with genuine newbies.

Strange award. They need to have some 2nd and 3rd year players eligible to boost the quality of the field. Apples and oranges though.

Is Stephenson in his first year? I've always thought it was unfair comparing players in their 2nd or 3rd season on an an AFL list with genuine newbies.

Strange award. They need to have some 2nd and 3rd year players eligible to boost the quality of the field. Apples and oranges though.
Agreed, IMO it should be a first year players award.

He’ll be on the podium for sure, but if Stephenson does win it, it won’t be much of a shock, and Tom does have the benefit of 2 extra preseasons as well as playing an easier position on the field.
Not sure about the easier position bit.

What would be better, playing as a quick forward in a team doing well, or a defender in a team getting pummelled?

Nothing wrong with this point of view but if the AFL revert to a ‘first year only’ award, the quality of players selected each round drops dramatically.

Fogarty has showen he will be a good player but he has not deserved to win a nomination this year.

Remove the week to week nomination of the rising star winner and just have a NBA style Rookie* of the month award and then Rookie* of the year.

*doesnt have to call it a Rookie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you swap them? If Collingwood called and offered a straight swap, would you take it?
If Stephenson was guaranteed to stay here for life.... Yes.

Hard call and what not, but I think Stephenson really has it. Ultimately a mid/fwd is of greater value than an intercepting defender.

However, IRL doedee is simply not going to be traded on our watch.

lol Vic bias? 7 of the last 10 winners have come from non-Vic clubs. Remember when Taylor won over Bont? Palmer over Rioli? Even further back, Pearce over Shaw? Vic bias isn't a thing here.
In a funny way those results show the Vic bias.

Taylor won over Bontempelli because no Victorians watch Brisbane. But they knew Taylor had a million touches each week so he must be good. If they'd seen his wasteful, zero impact sideways touches they'd never have voted for him.

Same with Rhys Palmer. Ball magnet but not 10% the player Rioli was. But none of the judges had actually watched him properly.

Stephenson is a first year player and has killed it
I dont think Doedee should be eligible and neither should have Talia when he won it
But it is the nab rising star award for best young player, not the rookie of the year award for best first year player.

Talia had no control over the criteria, just like doedee has no control.

In saying that I actually think Stephenson should win as I'm one of those that think it's much harder to play as a forward than a defender.

Compare the pair

Stephenson then Doedee
15 Games 16
7.7 Kicks Per Game 8.7
5.0 Handballs Per Game 10.1
12.7 Disposals Per Game 18.8
3.9 Marks Per Game 5.3
Goals Per Game 0.1
0.9 Behinds Per Game 0
3.1 Tackles Per Game 3.0
0 Hitouts Per Game 0
2.3 Inside 50s Per Game 1.3
0.4 Goal Assists Per Game 0.1
0.8 Frees For Per Game 1.1
0.7 Frees Against Per Game 0.7
3.8 Contested Possessions Per Game 7.2
9.1 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 11.6
8.6 Effective Disposals Per Game 15.2
67.7% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 80.9%
Clangers Per Game 1.6
0.4 Contested Marks Per Game 0.7
Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0
0.3 Clearances Per Game 0.2
0.5 Rebound 50s Per Game 3.4
1.1 One Percenters Per Game 5.4
Bounces Per Game 0.2
79.9 Time On Ground % Per Game 87.4
Centre Clearances Per Game 0
0.2 Stoppage Clearances Per Game 0.2
5.1 Score Involvements Per Game 2.2
222.9 Metres Gained Per Game 273.6
2.5 Turnovers Per Game 3.7
1.5 Intercepts Per Game 7.5
Tackles Inside 50 Per Game 0.1
$443,000 AFL Fantasy Price $493,000
66.7 AFL Fantasy Score Per Game 73.6
$320,600 Supercoach Price $417,800
65.9 Supercoach Score Per Game 85.1

Tom is doing ok by my eyes

Compare the pair

Stephenson then Doedee
15 Games 16
7.7 Kicks Per Game 8.7
5.0 Handballs Per Game 10.1
12.7 Disposals Per Game 18.8
3.9 Marks Per Game 5.3
Goals Per Game 0.1
0.9 Behinds Per Game 0
3.1 Tackles Per Game 3.0
0 Hitouts Per Game 0
2.3 Inside 50s Per Game 1.3
0.4 Goal Assists Per Game 0.1
0.8 Frees For Per Game 1.1
0.7 Frees Against Per Game 0.7
3.8 Contested Possessions Per Game 7.2
9.1 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 11.6
8.6 Effective Disposals Per Game 15.2
67.7% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 80.9%
Clangers Per Game 1.6
0.4 Contested Marks Per Game 0.7
Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0
0.3 Clearances Per Game 0.2
0.5 Rebound 50s Per Game 3.4
1.1 One Percenters Per Game 5.4
Bounces Per Game 0.2
79.9 Time On Ground % Per Game 87.4
Centre Clearances Per Game 0
0.2 Stoppage Clearances Per Game 0.2
5.1 Score Involvements Per Game 2.2
222.9 Metres Gained Per Game 273.6
2.5 Turnovers Per Game 3.7
1.5 Intercepts Per Game 7.5
Tackles Inside 50 Per Game 0.1
$443,000 AFL Fantasy Price $493,000
66.7 AFL Fantasy Score Per Game 73.6
$320,600 Supercoach Price $417,800
65.9 Supercoach Score Per Game 85.1

Tom is doing ok by my eyes

They are as incomparable as a ruckman and a back pocket.

The big thing is really that 1.7 goal average for Stephenson and Doedee playing a much easier role. The thing that saves Doedee is those numbers are only marginally off an AA spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back