Autopsy 2018 Rd 17 Kreuzer out early, another terrible loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolts says there is a strong comradery among the players, yet one play that stood out was Dow making a desperate smother on the wing; despite several players being close enough to acknowledge the effort, only Murph did.

Soon after Dow could have made another desperate effort but instead chose to conserve energy.

May he have found that extra desire had several of our guys reved him up after his first effort? Bolts should have it as a KPI that players get around each other after every desperate effort.

Says he 'won't accept players being tired' yet half our team are running on the spot weekly.

No disrespect, but there so many inaccuracies in this post

Where has it been stated that after a 66 game rebuild that we would be immediately playing finals, or surging up the ladder?

All I see from some posters, is the criticism, but very little praise, if any

Sticking your head in the sand would be, never stating both sides of a situation, which I have done many times, but why rehash, what we already know are the, "to be developed" are as

To simply say "Bolton should be sacked" is a lazy uneducated view, rather than backing it up with some of the reasons why. Do that, and perhaps our situation will be viewed with a more balanced mindset

Ok, Let’s have a mature discussion then.

1) It was the club that said a 66 game rebuild, but even if we accept that 66 games was just the starting point of a more comprehensive rebuild, look at what we have achieved 3 years into this rebuild.

I’m certainly not saying that we should be surging up the ladder or even improving exponentianally, but We are on the verge of having one of, if not the worst season in the history of our club, and this a decade after the darkest days of pagan and the salary cap breaches.

2) kind of hard to give anything but criticism after performances like the last 2 weeks, but even so we try and look for the little positives we can find, and that only being a hand full of young guys that are showing promise.

3) our issues isn’t the ‘to be developed’, it’s the questions of:
‘Why has our fitness as a team gone backwards at such an alarming rate as shown by us being shot after quarter time every week?’
‘What has happened to our medico department that players are coming back when they are clearly not ready?’
‘Why can’t the coach inspire the players to give their 100% effort every week?’
‘Why are the players skills getting even worse week after week?’
All these questions and many more are ‘to be developed’ they should already have been developed and our in place properly.

4) as for Bolton, his transgressions have been many.
Continuing to play a down defence when it’s clear to all and sundry that the cattle aren’t god enough to use it. Failing to inspire his troops to give 100% effort every week let alone every quarter.
Either refusal or inability to change game day tactics or plans when players get injured and structure needs rearranging.
Experimenting with young players in different positions when they have get to master the position they were drafted for.
Continuing to play older less skilled players throughout the season at the expense of giving every kid that was at any time fit.
Skills getting worse, tackling getting worse, players looking like headless chooks ok he field unsure of where to run or who to run to etc etc

Over the loss now. Obviously not ideal but there are still some good signs from our young players.

Really can't wait for the season to end so we can put this s**t show behind us.

Would be nice to win one or two but I think our team cohesion is shot and I think many players have gone in to preservation mode for the preseason.

What will the Chicken Littles do with themselves when we have success? You need to consider all our supporters, fringe, nihilistic, panic merchants etc

Some people are happiest when they’re miserable ;)

To be fair I think there’s been some baffling decisions taken this year. I’ve been frustrated at some of them, and every once in a while it bubbles over. However as I look at the key people involved, I still have confidence they are the right people to lead the climb. SOS can draft and negotiate. I do think Bolton can teach and coach. Let’s see about Liddle, but the track record is sound. They absolutely must nail the head of Football appointment. And the medical team needs a microscopic review. It’s by no means perfect but individual poor results late in the season also don’t reflect reality.

what do you think this place would be like if everyone thought like you? a balance is one thing but without the pushback against the likes of you and your assorted mangy crew this place would be a toilet - at least optimism comes with hope - if you have none of that, buy a colouring in book

If everyone had the same thoughts as me it'd be a dull and redundant board.

I'm not asking for that, just to cut the s**t in terms of shooting it down. A 1-15 team is going to have some negative opinions!

The name calling in your post is the exact sort of rubbish I'm talking about.

Ok, Let’s have a mature discussion then.

1) It was the club that said a 66 game rebuild, but even if we accept that 66 games was just the starting point of a more comprehensive rebuild, look at what we have achieved 3 years into this rebuild.

I’m certainly not saying that we should be surging up the ladder or even improving exponentianally, but We are on the verge of having one of, if not the worst season in the history of our club, and this a decade after the darkest days of pagan and the salary cap breaches.

2) kind of hard to give anything but criticism after performances like the last 2 weeks, but even so we try and look for the little positives we can find, and that only being a hand full of young guys that are showing promise.

3) our issues isn’t the ‘to be developed’, it’s the questions of:
‘Why has our fitness as a team gone backwards at such an alarming rate as shown by us being shot after quarter time every week?’
‘What has happened to our medico department that players are coming back when they are clearly not ready?’
‘Why can’t the coach inspire the players to give their 100% effort every week?’
‘Why are the players skills getting even worse week after week?’
All these questions and many more are ‘to be developed’ they should already have been developed and our in place properly.

4) as for Bolton, his transgressions have been many.
Continuing to play a down defence when it’s clear to all and sundry that the cattle aren’t god enough to use it. Failing to inspire his troops to give 100% effort every week let alone every quarter.
Either refusal or inability to change game day tactics or plans when players get injured and structure needs rearranging.
Experimenting with young players in different positions when they have get to master the position they were drafted for.
Continuing to play older less skilled players throughout the season at the expense of giving every kid that was at any time fit.
Skills getting worse, tackling getting worse, players looking like headless chooks ok he field unsure of where to run or who to run to etc etc

I will stick mainly to point 3 as it affects point 4.

Medical and Conditioning team is clearly not upto it, and as discussed elsewhere needs to be addressed now, but results won't be seen for another year.

I imagine a lot of our first/second year players and thise without a proper pre season are spent physically, and with an injury list as deep as ours we have to keep playing them and those who may be carrying injuries which affect performance, so we may have a team where half of them out there can only give 100% of what they have which may only be 40% if their best output.

When that happens, a coach can't really do much with it. Improve those issues and maybe the support staff around him and Bolton would look fantastic as a coach.

I’m still half fuming and half depressed.
The fact that both StKilda and Brisbane treated us with such disrespect both on and off field (coaches box) over the last 2 weeks has me livid. Richo last night looked like he was a spectator more than an opposition coach and Fagan looked like he was almost sorry for us!

don't worry clarkson will show us the respect he always has*#$

*aitken
#flooding to stop fev reaching 100 goals
$just a prick really

Some people are happiest when they’re miserable ;)

To be fair I think there’s been some baffling decisions taken this year. I’ve been frustrated at some of them, and every once in a while it bubbles over. However as I look at the key people involved, I still have confidence they are the right people to lead the climb. SOS can draft and negotiate. I do think Bolton can teach and coach. Let’s see about Liddle, but the track record is sound. They absolutely must nail the head of Football appointment. And the medical team needs a microscopic review. It’s by no means perfect but individual poor results late in the season also don’t reflect reality.
fabulous post

SO WHO WOULD LIKE A WEEK OFF .......

This bickering/name calling/abuse/personal attacks/derogatory remarks towards others ends NOW!

It's been going on and on and on for weeks and it needs to stop.

So many cardable posts in this thread & don't say you weren't warned!

ZERO TOLERANCE ACROSS OUR ENTIRE BOARD!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

guys, we are not even competitive. when are we going to play finals, next year?

SO WHO WOULD LIKE A WEEK OFF .......

This bickering/name calling/abuse/personal attacks/derogatory remarks towards others ends NOW!

It's been going on and on and on for weeks and it needs to stop.

So many cardable posts in this thread & don't say you weren't warned!

ZERO TOLERANCE ACROSS OUR ENTIRE BOARD!
This thread really has been as bad as i have seen.

I did suggest a couple of weeks ago that it may be worthwhile trialling a No Comment Autopsy thread (as in there is no discussion / debate / attacking other opinions) , surely the time has come.

Bolton wants to sprinkle fairy dust on our slump?

I'd like to sprinkle fairy dust on our coaching staff. Perhaps then they'd magically be able to coach.

That he actually called it a slump signifies that he has no idea what he's talking about.

1. To have a 'slump' signifies you had form to begin with
2. A team losing all but one game all year, to a team with internal strife, does not a slump make.
3. We've won 2 games since round 13 last year.

The reasons of injuries are valid from a list management perspective but at some point they stop working when improvement doesn't come from an individual basis and the same mistakes continue being made and often worsening.

Midfield frequency stats for the match. For those that haven't seen one of these before this is an overall summary of how often players were lining up as one of your 5 mids at each centre bounce

There were 27 bounces

E.Curnow 26 (14i, 12w)
Murphy 23 (12w, 11i)
Cripps 22
O'Brien 15 wing
Kennedy 13
Dow 11 (10i, 1w)
Fisher 8
Marchbank 7 wing
SPS 5 (4i, 1w)
Pickett 3 wing
Garlett 2 wing

Rucks:
Jones 9
McKay 7
C.Curnow 4
Rowe 4
Kreuzer (inj) 2
Cripps 1

Notes:
Highest ever players used by a side as a centre square ruck in an analysed match. The previous most was 4 - incidentally Carlton also equalled this last week. Things changed by the quarter really as McKay played as lead ruck with Curnow as back-up for the first half; Jones took over as lead in Q3; finally Rowe replaced Jones as lead in Q4.

The concerns over two players having elevated heart rates two weeks in a row is most likely going to get looked at by the AFL. I'm wondering as Marchbank and Kreuzer have been recovering from injuries that we're giving something?? to our guys to aid in their recovery?? Perhaps that drug that we're rumoured to have been trying that Diesel and Walker have been using to help them get over their knee issues. Whatever it is, something is a worry when you see this happen two weeks in a row... co-incidence? I think not!

The concerns over two players having elevated heart rates two weeks in a row is most likely going to get looked at by the AFL. I'm wondering as Marchbank and Kreuzer have been recovering from injuries that we're giving something?? to our guys to aid in their recovery?? Perhaps that drug that we're rumoured to have been trying that Diesel and Walker have been using to help them get over their knee issues. Whatever it is, something is a worry when you see this happen two weeks in a row... co-incidence? I think not!

Yeah cannot be a coincidence. Definitely needs to be looked at, heart issues are as serious as they come.

I will stick mainly to point 3 as it affects point 4.

Medical and Conditioning team is clearly not upto it, and as discussed elsewhere needs to be addressed now, but results won't be seen for another year.

I imagine a lot of our first/second year players and thise without a proper pre season are spent physically, and with an injury list as deep as ours we have to keep playing them and those who may be carrying injuries which affect performance, so we may have a team where half of them out there can only give 100% of what they have which may only be 40% if their best output.

When that happens, a coach can't really do much with it. Improve those issues and maybe the support staff around him and Bolton would look fantastic as a coach.

I’d agree if it was our kids that are spent physically that have been our major problem this year.
But the way I see it, is that it isn’t the kids that are handing the ball straight back to the opppsitoon when calling out of defence.

We had 7 goals scored against us from turnovers last night, many of which came from older senior players kicking the ball back 15m and still managing to miss their target.
Heck, 2 goals came as a result of these players kicking sideways to a team mate in the goal square which resulted in turnovers directly in front of goal for saints.

Now this is one problem of many I attribute directly to the coach, either our players are instructed as a first priority to look for a chip backwards and sideways, or the coach keeps letting the same culprits get away with it every week by continuing to select them.
FFS, someone like O’Shea kept getting selected every single week in the first half of the year even when everyone was calling for him to be not only be dropped but delisted. It took an entire first half of year and more for him to be eventually dropped for the first time.

Absolve the coach all you want, but for me everything trickles down from the coach. Injuries or not, the 22 players we put out on the field every should be given a game plan that minimises their weaknesses and maximises their strengths, and if they are so bad that they have only weakness and no strengths, then drop them and play every single kid after that is fit instead

Last edited:
Under the inverse performance rule whereby we play decent football against quality opposition and poor football against poor opposition we have 3 strong performances left for the year: Haw (Rd 18), GWS(rd 20), Adel(Rd 23). Interspersed with poor games : GC(rd 19), Freo(rd 21), WB (rd 22). Plenty of time to book the weekend spa retreats in Daylesford for these games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back