Richmond's struggle with interstate games

Remove this Banner Ad

Any time the Eagles struggle to win interstate, it's held up as a reason why they aren't a top team. When Richmond do the same, it's dismissed because they get to play the grand final at the MCG. What's more, Richmond fans seem quite happy with the fact they don't have to be as good as an Eagles or Sydney side to win a premiership.

What a strange premise. I’m assuming you mean the eagles and Sydney sides of 05/06. Why is that the bechmark? That was over 10 years ago and there’s been infinitely better sides than those two s**t trucks

What a strange premise. I’m assuming you mean the eagles and Sydney sides of 05/06. Why is that the bechmark? That was over 10 years ago and there’s been infinitely better sides than those two s**t trucks
You've misread the premise. I was just using the Eagles and Sydney as an example because they are in the mix. I could have easily said Port Adelaide. Interstate teams need to be substantially better to overcome the hurdles to a premiership than Melbourne-based clubs.

And Richmond better than the Eagles 06 side? Thanks, I needed the laugh.

You've misread the premise. I was just using the Eagles and Sydney as an example because they are in the mix. I could have easily said Port Adelaide. Interstate teams need to be substantially better to overcome the hurdles to a premiership than Melbourne-based clubs.

And Richmond better than the Eagles 06 side? Thanks, I needed the laugh.

Well according to the ladder we are better than the eagles and Sydney this year. And we beat Sydney convincingly a couple weeks ago. And we have the second hardest draw in the comp.

Our finals performance last year was better than west coast and Sydney’s in both 05 and 06.

Its cute that you still think in 05/06 terms though

Regardless of tomorrow, the winner of tomorrow deserves best team mantle, as both have handed adversity to get there (and won interstate), two things Richmond have yet to show they can handle.
Even though we made you look like a second rate team when we played you and will again in 2 weeks?

Ok then

It’s 12 to 9 Vic v interstate GF’s won in recent history given the amount of Vic teams that is actually an unbalanced amount the other way..
H&A records?

It wasn’t fair and equitable when Richmond were finishing down the bottom of the ladder when GCS and GWS were being introduced, pushing back our draft picks either. But we overcame.
Care to post the rest of the article. There's also another article which gives the topic more clarity.
Have attached all except part talking about potentially trading for Jack Watts. You can find the other article if you like - I'm satisfied what I've said is substantiated.
image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png

If those concessions were such a massive advantage, surely they'd have finished higher on the ladder thanks to the uneven playing field.
Yet 5 of the 8 flags won by interstate teams were won by lower ranked teams. Seems to me those teams weren't especially stronger than their competition, they just performed better on GF day.

So your answer is zero. Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually here i mostly agree with you - ground dimensions matter a lot - you build your teams tactics based on the ground.

Crowd noise helps too.

You guys would have won last night at the mcg - zero doubt.

But beating an interstate team at etihad - five minutes down the eoad is not the same as beaylting an interstate team on their dirt patch or even beating an etihad team at etihad
It is to me and all Richmond supporters.
So bizzare that people get so hung up on distance from their home ground.

Who gives a s**t how far away it is. 5 minutes or 500 minutes it makes no difference. Do you think players walk from home to the ground???
Ground size and shape is the main factor, crowd noise is a smaller factor. Distance from your home ground is no factor.

As has been said previously they have simply catered their gameplan to suit MCG.

Their team is not that good, but their gameplan is excellent at getting wins vs anyone at MCG.

Teams like WC, Port, GWS, Sydney have to develop a gameplan that can win anywhere as they only get a couple of games at the MCG each year, which means if they developed a gameplan to suit MCG like Richmond has they wouldn't even make the finals as they don't play there enough.
Is it the game plan? Or the 70k screaming imbeciles that advantages them when playing at the MCG?

No. Without the Eagles and Brisbane licence fees there may not have been a VFL / AFL as we know it. Not one with Richmond in it anyway.

Perhaps if they didn't join, the likes of Richmond and Collingwood would have just sent each other broke.

Most of the original and expansion VFL clubs have been financially stuffed at some stage around the time that WCE and Brissie entered the comp, except for maybe Essendon and Carlton, but at that particular time in history, Richmond could have been one of the clubs that were broke at the wrong time.
Could’ve, would’ve, should’ve the fact remains that without first already having the VFL, the AFL wouldn’t exist as it is now would it???

I think the silver lining is actually really a bad sign for Richmond. You seem to be making excuses for losing to the good sides. Losing to the good sides and beating the s**t sides is not something to be proud of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were 1st. We've beaten 2nd, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th then.
Lost to 4th and 7th by only 2 goals or less away.
West Coast sitting 3rd are the only team that got completely on top of that we haven't played again and beaten.

Yeh I'm ok with how we've gone this year.

This seems a bit of an overreaction to a 2 point loss.

Adelaide are 7-2 at home, West Coast 6-2, Port Adelaide 7-1 and GWS 6-2.

If Richmond had have played Brisbane or Fremantle away this season they probably would have beaten them (and likely will beat Gold Coast in a few rounds' time).

If they don't beat Gold Coast then you can say there's a major major problem. Good teams usually win at home, and while yes, you would think Richmond would have won at least one of those four games, you would also think they would have lost at least one of their seven home games so far too.

I don't think they're Essendon 2000 or Geelong 2007, but they've been consistent and look like a team that could win the premiership, which you've not really been able to say for any other team so far (but there's still a long way to go, and Richmond didn't look the goods at this point last season either).

And what is the relevance of whether a team had concessions on GF day?

Because home ground advantage is a big deal in sports the world over.

Just because the AFL declares an event neutral, doesnt make it so.

When you play away you generally need to play above your standard to win.

Concessions and salary cap allowances allow a better list.

Its damning that no interstate side without them have beaten Vic opposition.

Lets stop pretending there is no imbalance.

Well according to the ladder we are better than the eagles and Sydney this year. And we beat Sydney convincingly a couple weeks ago. And we have the second hardest draw in the comp.

Our finals performance last year was better than west coast and Sydney’s in both 05 and 06.

Its cute that you still think in 05/06 terms though

Their one flag dynasty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back