Preview Changes: R18 v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate to say it but if Nth win today this game and the rest if the season effectively become dead rubbers.

FU Burton

Sauce just said on SANFL coverage Smith hopefully plans SANFL next week
Currently listed as being 2-4 weeks away.

Heard he is keen to play next weekend, but I suspect he may not play to the following week.

Surely Hartigan struggled because he was playing out of position on Hawkins - a slow behemoth perfectly suited to be defended by Talia.

Surely we don’t drop Hartigan on the basis of that one matchup.

If Talia is fit and playing then it is most likely for Keath.

Kelly is a spud but at least he is a hardened experienced match fit spud. If we are striving for finals then Kelly stays ahead of the kids. Until Douglas, Mackay or Gibson is fit.

Tex > Fog
Keath > Talia

We may actually, he's been shaky for a long while.

A rough match up seeing that's the best Hawkins has looked since, well, maybe 2011-2012? still could have have been the straw that broke the camels back

Hate to say it but if Nth win today this game and the rest if the season effectively become dead rubbers.

FU Burton
Season is very open. Lots of teams falling over with injuries and form. The ironic part is that if we qualify for finals we would be one of the form teams and would more than likely have our best team up and running. One week at a time but my interest in the season has at least peaked for another week.

Season is very open. Lots of teams falling over with injuries and form. The ironic part is that if we qualify for finals we would be one of the form teams and would more than likely have our best team up and running. One week at a time but my interest in the season has at least peaked for another week.

piqued

I’m with most on here re: Hartigan out. I just think Keath is better skilled backs himself and it will boost his confidence to be held in the side. But, if Talia does come in I fear for Keath based on Hartigans gold pass.

What a massive task this will be!
Brissy are firing on all cylinders but with our long break and elimination final approach we can win a tight one if we take the game on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fog has run out of steam and too slow for the quick pace footy we will need to play for the next six weeks. Play out the year in the SANFL IMO and have a big preseason.
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I absolutely almost agree with this. I'd bring him in this week for Brisbane but after that just try and get confidence in the 2s

I’m with most on here re: Hartigan out. I just think Keath is better skilled backs himself and it will boost his confidence to be held in the side. But, if Talia does come in I fear for Keath based on Hartigans gold pass.

What a massive task this will be!
Brissy are firing on all cylinders but with our long break and elimination final approach we can win a tight one if we take the game on.
Don normally backs in underperforming players. I'm not sure why? The only thing i can think of is that certain players do have a 'gold pass' due to don being reluctant in picking an unknown commodity. But how does the club find out that the unknown commodity is a better long term answer if not played? Tom Doedee is a prime example as he should have been in the team 12 months earlier imo. Another reason certain players aren't dropped may be due to match commitee being fearful in upsetting the 'apple cart' even if it will strengthen the team. Whatever it is he needs to manup and play the best team. Hartigan is not in it in many an observer's eyes. Malcolm Blight had no hesitation in dropping a player regardless of reputation even if he thought it would only make the team 1% better. Modra is a prime example in '98. I still believe to this day he made the right call. There is no room for stubborness in winning.

Last edited:
Don normally backs underperforming players until they are injured. I'm not sure why? The only thing i can think of is thst certain players have guaranteed selection written into their contracts or match commitee is fearful to upset the apple cart even if it will strengthen the team. Whatever it is he needs to manup and play the best team. Hartigan is not in it.
Well he was last week due to Talia being injured, not this week though.

Usually Harto is solid enough defensively that it covers up his decision making.... not the last 2 weeks

B: Brown, Talia (Hartigan), Doedee
HB: Milera, Keath, Laird
C: Seedsman, Mrouch, Gibbs
HF: Lynch, Fogarty, Gallucci
F: Betts, Jenkins, McGovern (Polholke)
R: Jacobs, Sloane, Knight
I: Cheney, Greenwood, Atkins, Murphy
Spot on ... Excellent Balance .

Hartigan is backup for Talia only . Our defensive line up will be good with Talia as lockdown , Keath and Doedee intercept combo , Milera QB link , Laird and Brown mopping up and linking . as a unit this is far superior than having " The Lump "
Besides those 2 silly draping holds i thought Keath showed more than enough ... play him for the rest of the season if fit .

I absolutely almost agree with this. I'd bring him in this week for Brisbane but after that just try and get confidence in the 2s
Not this week.

Brisbane are a quick team who can damage you on the counter. They are in good form and just beat Hawthorn at Launceston.. I guess you could argue Fog replacing Tex does little to change the set up of our side from last week.

But why not improve on it.

The only way we make the eight is by playing the quick direct footy from the Geelong game and last quarter of WCE game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I remember it. Sitting with friends we blitzed the first quarter. We were joking about how much of a smashing it would be.
Then we didn’t return for the following 3 quarters, it was shite.

Correct, there are already so many upsets going on just this month that prove that.

Week 17: Freo D Port, Bris d Haw, GWS d Rich, Crows D Geel
Week 15: WB d Geel, Stk d Melb, Crows d WCE
Week 14: Edd d WCE, Pt d Melb,

The upset victories are getting more frequent and more surprising. Anyone who thinks they know how this season will pan out because they've done a ladder predictor based on current ladder position is kidding themselves.

The AFL season is long and full of terrors!

What I would do...

Out: Walker, Hartigan
In: Talia, Fogarty

What I think will happen...

Out: Walker, Keath
In: Talia, Fogarty
I dont think we bring in FOG, same reason I think we need to leave Poholke in the magoo's for a while. Both these guys need a block of games against inferior competition to work on their deficiencies. Getting the games we have into them has been good, but now its all about finding the right balance to make our team function. And for me, those 2 just always seem to throw that balance off.

I dont think we bring in FOG, same reason I think we need to leave Poholke in the magoo's for a while. Both these guys need a block of games against inferior competition to work on their deficiencies. Getting the games we have into them has been good, but now its all about finding the right balance to make our team function. And for me, those 2 just always seem to throw that balance off.

The only alternative to bringing in Fog is bringing in Talia for Tex, and switching Keath from defence to the forward line.

I certainly don’t mind this as I think Keath has a lot of potential as a forward, but I think the selectors will probably go with Fog.

The only alternative to bringing in Fog is bringing in Talia for Tex, and switching Keath from defence to the forward line.

I certainly don’t mind this as I think Keath has a lot of potential as a forward, but I think the selectors will probably go with Fog.
I just spoke to a mate of mine who went to the Magoo's game and said FOG looked incredible on the weekend. So you might be right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back