Rumour Ex AFL star Brian Lake arrested in Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

I am reporting my direct experience, bud. I have had senior Japanese executives, in Japanese restaurants, specifically choose dog for me as a delicacy. Which I could't refuse.

But certainly it is a far more common dish in Korea, where I also lived for a while.

I figured it would have to be something pretty rare, I've never met the Japanese person who wanted to eat that, and I know quite a few having lived there on and off a few years. If Mr Shankly is who I think he is, he's lived there much longer than I have.

Has more Norm Smith medals than your entire club. Lake at his best was a beast.
Like Barry Hall minus the accolades.

Anyway getting back to 'meat axe' Brian Lake, during his detention, his only human contact for the first five (of six) days was with a guard and interpreter. He was not allowed visitors or phone calls and not surprisingly, his jail cell measures 3 x 3 m.

Last edited:

But the harsh reality for Lakey is that he could be held in jail for up to 23 days without charge under Japanese law.

Hopefully he has someone in high places in his corner and who can force his early release or otherwise he will do the 23 days in clink !!!
Friend of mine got caught drink driving and he went straight to jail for two months. They don't mess around in Nippon.

In Japan you can be held 23 days without charge. I've been there 15 times now over the last 10 years. They are friendly and polite to foreign visitors, but you are generally considered 'other'. Life is extremely safe and efficient. It can work in your advantage (you will be forgiven for not knowing the sophisticated etiquette that guides all their interactions in daily life), however you don't want to get involved in physical altercations as you will be immediately be considered at fault in a lot of cases. Despite being a Hawks fan, knowing Lake's behaviour, I suspect he was behaving like a lot of Aussie bogans overseas and it doesn't surprise me.
This is spot on.

I figured it would have to be something pretty rare, I've never met the Japanese person who wanted to eat that, and I know quite a few having lived there on and off a few years. If Mr Shankly is who I think he is, he's lived there much longer than I have.

He’s a fool and doesn’t know what he’s talking about. 焼き鳥 is grilled chicken. You can eat dog in Japan, but all the places that sell it are Chinese and Korean restaurants. I could show you a ホルモン restaurant that has worse things than dog on the menu.

https://matome.naver.jp/m/odai/2135376263098155501

Friend of mine got caught drink driving and he went straight to jail for two months. They don't mess around in Nippon.

Very unlikely to get caught, so lots of Japanese guys risk it, but if they do get caught, or crash or injure someone, they are royally screwed. There are maximum security prisons in Japan where you’ll find drug smugglers and hardened criminals, but there are prisons almost entirely devoted to traffic offenders too.

Yeah, eating dog is a Korean thing, never heard of it being done in Japan, I joked about it once with Japanese friends and they rather straight-faced said, 'that's Korea'.
Any way, wouldn't it be called Yaki-inu?

Well it would depend if the dog meat was fried/grilled or boiled to determine if it yaki is to precede the inu part of the word

He’s a fool and doesn’t know what he’s talking about. 焼き鳥 is grilled chicken. You can eat dog in Japan, but all the places that sell it are Chinese and Korean restaurants. I could show you a ホルモン restaurant that has worse things than dog on the menu.

Yuck. My wife who is from Mie also said those restaurants are for Korean and Chinese expats. I've never even heard of Japanese eating dog until reading this thread. Think I'll stick with 馬刺.

If your "fool" comment is directed at me bud, I repeat - I'm relating my own direct experience.

I was surprised at being offered dog in Japan, but it was in some leading Japanese (not Korean/Chinese) restaurants in Tokyo/Yokohama, in private rooms booked on corporate accounts, and especially selected by ethnic Japanese senior executives in my area of international business. On a number of occasions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last time I was in Japan I went to the 'Aussie bar' in Roppongi to watch the prelims and grand final...
There was this group of student chiropractors from Melbourne on a school trip to Tokyo in the bar during the grand final. One of them was this huge guy, like, hands the size of the bartenders heads...

Anyway cos I was a loner and these guys were in a group we got talking, eventually the huge guy says I look like I've got back/neck issues, which I do... he precedes to put me in a headlock and twists my neck like a rag all the while screaming and laughing and blowing smoke from his sheesha.

After that he went and took a massive s**t while I was waiting for the only toilet, then didn't flush it, I told him from studying his stool I thought he should go see a doctor. He blamed sushi. eventually he grabbed my phone and messaged every female he could find about wanting '*y *y'.

Yeah, Aussies overseas can suck, bad.

Last time I was in Japan I went to the 'Aussie bar' in Roppongi to watch the prelims and grand final...
There was this group of student chiropractors from Melbourne on a school trip to Tokyo in the bar during the grand final. One of them was this huge guy, like, hands the size of the bartenders heads...

Anyway cos I was a loner and these guys were in a group we got talking, eventually the huge guy says I look like I've got back/neck issues, which I do... he precedes to put me in a headlock and twists my neck like a rag all the while screaming and laughing and blowing smoke from his sheesha.

After that he went and took a massive s**t while I was waiting for the only toilet, then didn't flush it, I told him from studying his stool I thought he should go see a doctor. He blamed sushi. eventually he grabbed my phone and messaged every female he could find about wanting '****y ****y'.

Yeah, Aussies overseas can suck, bad.
Dafuk did I just read??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back