Autopsy AFL 2018 Rnd 17 Liked hated & learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked - another round of generally exciting games. Jaegar O'Meara.

Hated - losing (although I loved the way Brisbane played). NicNat's injury.

Learnt - there's bugger all difference between 2nd and 12th (and possibly even deeper than that). Each side seems vulnerable when key players go down and my guess the eight won't be settled till round 22 and will depend a lot on which sides can get close to their best 22 on the field.

Liked

Charlie Spargo... he is smart high pressure forward and is playing his role well as a first year player. Our record with Charlie in the side is 8 - 1. Should get a rising star nom this week with 7 tackles and 2 goals.

Geelong*, Hawthorn and North all losing to drop a game and bulk percentage behind us.

Brisbane playing good footy.

A few high scoring games.

Disliked

Nic Nat injury.

Jack Viney's season may be done :(

Richmond's inability to win away from home.

Learnt

* Adelaide look to be firmly in the race for a top 8 spot and in good form. Hoping it's not at our expense! Could still do some damage if they are healthy in September.

Not enough credit given to teams when gun players get injured, Adelaide, GWS and West Coast have all shown us that they are MUCH better sides when they start getting injured players back. Hoping the loss of both Lever and Viney doesn't impact Melbourne too much, our list is fairly healthy aside from that.

Liked: NMFC v Sydney. Even though we lost it was a great game with great battles across the park. Majak v Aliir was a highlight.
Hated: Gold Coast and Carlton. Injuries may be playing a part for both teams but they are playing putrid football at the moment.
Learnt: Ben Jacobs is the most important player at North. When he is playing our midfield looks solid defensively and more than capable of matching the leagues best, when he is out it just doesn't function and teams are able to open us up and run through the middle at will.

Liked:

Brisbane lions / Cam Rayner
Richmond v Giants game
Max Gawn
Shannon Hurn (AA captain???)

Hated:

Jed Lamb - You are not tough
Some Collingwood supporters suggesting the 15 from their injury list are best 22 players..... Please!!
Cam Guthrie - Shocking skills

Learnt:

Every game counts for teams in and around the 8 - Win and you are pushing top 4, lose and you are fighting to stay in the 8

Like- We have beaten 4 top 8 sides in Richmond,West Coast,Sydney (away) and Geelong

dislike- it shows what a waste of a year 2018 has been.

Liked

Charlie Spargo... he is smart high pressure forward and is playing his role well as a first year player. Our record with Charlie in the side is 8 - 1. Should get a rising star nom this week with 7 tackles and 2 goals.

Geelong*, Hawthorn and North all losing to drop a game and bulk percentage behind us.

Brisbane playing good footy.

A few high scoring games.

Disliked

Nic Nat injury.

Jack Viney's season may be done :(

Richmond's inability to win away from home.

Learnt

* Adelaide look to be firmly in the race for a top 8 spot and in good form. Hoping it's not at our expense! Could still do some damage if they are healthy in September.

Not enough credit given to teams when gun players get injured, Adelaide, GWS and West Coast have all shown us that they are MUCH better sides when they start getting injured players back. Hoping the loss of both Lever and Viney doesn't impact Melbourne too much, our list is fairly healthy aside from that.
Great to see a guy from my hometown doing well. Assisted by our academy as well. Without disparaging the development by your club system, the North BH Bulldogs are very good at getting youngsters enthusiastic about a footy career.

Great to see a guy from my hometown doing well. Assisted by our academy as well. Without disparaging the development by your club system, the North BH Bulldogs are very good at getting youngsters enthusiastic about a footy career.

Totally agree. Charlie has been in the academy system since age 12 and was as ready made to step up to senior level early in his career as any first year player we've drafted in recent times.

From the MFC development side. I think we deserve praise in the last couple of years for recruiting smart footballers and teaching them to play a defined role in the side. Bayley Fritsch is another example of this as is Oscar Baker who is dominating at VFL level and may debut this year if a spot opens up. It's refreshing to see after our recruiting system was an absolute joke for the better part of a decade.

Like: Majak vs Aliir - we waited and it delivered. Maj outplayed him all day but Aliir got the final kick.

Hate: Dons whinging about umpiring. Every team cops crap umpiring every now and again but if you're down on free count in just about every game maybe work on team discipline instead of sulking. Nice diversion attempt after a loss.

Liked:
Winning - but not just winning, actually looking like the crows of 2017 for a while.
Cracker matches - even Friday's was entertaining for a while
Sloane signing - kicking a mad goal from 50 and the crowd going ballistic. If my club ever needed a signing more, I'd like to know who it was.
Hawkins - he loved having no Talia and looks like he's enjoying his footy and is moving really well. Shame he has no help.
Hawks and Roos losing and giving us a sniff
Buddy going clutch mode.
Aliir v Daw - hopefully inspiring a new batch of african-background footballers.

Hated:
Sling tackle on Gray...horrible. There needs to be some kind of penalty for that. 4th ump to make a decision at next break?
Umpiring - normally dont complain too much but Thursday was horrible. I think Geelong got a bloody blessed run.
Selwood flopping Neymar style and the commentators lack of calling it out.
GWS winning. As much as I dislike Richmond needed them to lose to give us a better chance at getting in.

Learned:
Richmond cant play interstate but it actually doesnt matter 1 bit.
Fremantle have a lot of good young talent.
Brisbane are putting it together. Really impressed and happy for them. 3 in a row for the first time in a long time.
If we make the finals we could cause carnage with a fit list.
Port simply cant get repeat quality performances.
People still overrate 40 disposals from Tom Mitchell. No its not 'unprecedented', its called being a chip scab.

Last edited:
Liked: Good games on Thursday, Saturday, Sunday. Brisbane stringing together 3 in a row and finally getting deserved clearance on Carlton. Still on top despite losing

Learnt: Jack Graham is hugely important to us. Dropped for the Port game and missed his grunt in the middle; Injured for Saturday and the same held true. Need to find a replacement for him.
A 2 point loss where we shot ourselves in the foot is apparently evidence that we can't travel.
Collingwood followed by Geelong will shape our season in a few weeks.

Hated: Nic Nat's knee, losing

I think its more the continuous losses and poor performances while looking unbeatable at the MCG.
Completely justified.

Liked: Lions, close results

Learnt: How to beat the tigers - clean fast football to get behind the press. Only way to beat the Tiges - and it's worked 4 times in 2018
If you don't kick straight it's hard to win
GWS is actually building a passionate supporter base. Still small, but noisy and passionate.
Tigers depth is good. But Jack Graham does really matter tp our midfield working properly.

Hated: Nik Nat's knee.
Tiger losing because of poor kicking.

lol.
I just love how the media, and many here, roll with this stuff.
Last week, Richmond were practically unbeatable for the flag , now they are "back to the pack" after a 8 point loss.
Melbourne were almost a shoe in to be their opponent just a few weeks ago...then a loss and "whats wrong with Melbourne?"...then a win and " what an exciting young team definately a challenger this year" and on and on it goes. Its just circle jerk rubbish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol.
I just love how the media, and many here, roll with this stuff.
Last week, Richmond were practically unbeatable for the flag , now they are "back to the pack" after a 8 point loss.
Melbourne were almost a shoe in to be their opponent just a few weeks ago...then a loss and "whats wrong with Melbourne?"...then a win and " what an exciting young team definately a challenger this year" and on and on it goes. Its just circle jerk rubbish.
Jeez way to blow a 2 point loss out of proportion :p

Liked - My weekend away in the Clare Valley wining and dining with my significant other.
Learn't - Poor preparation equals poor football. How can this be a thing in a professional competition these days???
Hated - Port's lack of skill and intensity against Freo. Could hurt us badly in the run into September.

Liked: Having some sort of resemblance of a structure in the forward line with Kennedy, Darling and LeCras back
Hated: Nic Nat's injury
Learnt: People like Garry Lyon actually get paid real money to commentate football matches

Liked: GWS win.

Hated: Pies going cold.

Learnt: Tom Mitchell get's 40 possessions, 1 goal, and probably won't get votes in the Brownlow.... more and more i get the feeling it is just taken for granted when it should be celebrated as "unprecedented".

Ablett's had 43 and 2 before and missed out on votes. It's not like it's never happened.

The GG Curse is real.

After adopting the Blues when Malthouse arrived, I slowly but surely drove the Blues into the veritable grave. Like a radioactive effect, destroying the flowerbed over time till the Blues many years later were in a coffin needing just the nails.

So I jumped to the Bombers...lasted 5 minutes before they booted me from the board and said "don't adopt us".

So I jumped on the surging Demons, and in the three weeks of supporting them, they lose three in a row :thumbsu:

So I jump on the Tigers, to help my aggrieved Blues and Demons brothers, and the Blues, took a few weeks to get over the GG-fluenza, and are now healthy, rosy-cheeked, beating up the Bombers, the Dees two wins in a row. The super strong Tigers, took them a week for the GG-fluenza to set in, but they inexplicably can't shoot straight and drop a game :thumbsu:

I'll stay on the Tigers, and I'm sure they'll end up a dried prune in due time.....like I'm literally cheering them on, and getting into it all, it's not just saying you're a Tigers fan, it's living and breathing it.

The GG Curse is real.

After adopting the Blues when Malthouse arrived, I slowly but surely drove the Blues into the veritable grave. Like a radioactive effect, destroying the flowerbed over time till the Blues many years later were in a coffin needing just the nails.

So I jumped to the Bombers...lasted 5 minutes before they booted me from the board and said "don't adopt us".

So I jumped on the surging Demons, and in the three weeks of supporting them, they lose three in a row :thumbsu:

So I jump on the Tigers, to help my aggrieved Blues and Demons brothers, and the Blues, took a few weeks to get over the GG-fluenza, and are now healthy, rosy-cheeked, beating up the Bombers, the Dees two wins in a row. The super strong Tigers, took them a week for the GG-fluenza to set in, but they inexplicably can't shoot straight and drop a game :thumbsu:

I'll stay on the Tigers, and I'm sure they'll end up a dried prune in due time.....like I'm literally cheering them on, and getting into it all, it's not just saying you're a Tigers fan, it's living and breathing it.
Control-alt-delete

Liked:
Giants: they got some ticker. If my mob can't do it hope these blokes can.
Crows: pretty impressive ball movement running all over cats at key stages. Jenkin's pretty good dry and blunt comments on the telly was good value.
Swans: just when you write them off.
Eagles: beware these campaigners. Game plan adjustments mid race.

Re-learnt:
It's wide open.

Hated:
Old bloke commentators. Horrendous them treating us like we are like them.

Liked: Giants Tiges and North Swans were edge of the seat stuff.
Brisbane getting 3 in a row.
Freo breaking their duck.

Learnt
MRP and Umps will never be consistent. Should probably stop hoping for it.
Final 8 will go to the wire.

Hated: Nic Nats injury.
Gray tackled. Sickening to watch

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

liked
Brisbane's youth. For all this carry-on about Curnow, I would choose Hipwood in a heart beat before him

learnt
Richmond are the bench mark for consistency, but if Kennedy and Darling fire, West Coast probably have the highest ceiling of any club in 2018

hated
GWS winning - with elite talent to return to the side and momentum building they are a massive threat come September

Liked: watching jordan degoey play. I love watching him, even when we lose. He is going to be something special.

Learnt- richmond are beatable especially interstate. Didn't think they were but they can definitely be beaten as we witnessed.

Hated: seeing nic nat do his knee. No one deserves that.

Liked
Collingwood getting done.
Brisbane are a promising side and I wish them all the best (my third side).
Melbourne are the best team in the competition who finally weren't umpired out of a match.
Cam Rayner is a rich man's Dustin Martin.

Hated
Nic Nat
's ACL.
Outrage over Nyhuis good tackle
Josh Bruce breaking his leg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back