Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's a weakness. I'd say it's an area he can improve, just like every kid or inexperienced player can improve in some ways. At a similar stage in his career, Grundy was in a weird limbo state between a has-been forward and a defender no one yet rated. He went on to be one of our all-time great back-men. Point is Aliir is at least showcasing his assets and what he can bring to the team and it's incredibly exciting. When we talk about Hayward we don't mention how god-awful he is at banana kicks (which he is and has cost us a few times this year), or Florent we don't talk about how he can be slow to get into games (which he can be), or Ronke how his field-kicking is questionable (which isn't ideal if he ever spends more time in the midfield)

We just take them for what they are and what they can bring to the table. It's my favourite part about playing the inexperienced blokes, just seeing what there is to work with and thinking about what they can become.
Sorry, it's a weakness. You asked why the comments were made, I explained. I don't see Aliir the same way you do and that's okay.

Then can I expect updates on the weaknesses of every other player or just Aliir's?

Mate some players all we hear about is their weaknesses!

For Aliir if anything it’s that people want him to close that gap, as the difference (with experience) will make him absolutely elite.

Mate some players all we hear about is their weaknesses!

For Aliir if anything it’s that people want him to close that gap, as the difference (with experience) will make him absolutely elite.

For sure but I just think there's enough things to worry about with this team at the minute so it's baffling to me that a 20-gamer whose been one of our best players over the last month is scrutinised so much. Wanting him to close that gap and become absolutely elite when he's still so inexperienced will only make watching him very tedious because he will continue to get things wrong and be exposed for his inexperience and that is fine.

For sure but I just think there's enough things to worry about with this team at the minute so it's baffling to me that a 20-gamer whose been one of our best players over the last month is scrutinised so much. Wanting him to close that gap and become absolutely elite when he's still so inexperienced will only make watching him very tedious because he will continue to get things wrong and be exposed for his inexperience and that is fine.

Of course it’s fine. He was also asked to play the second defender role, something he probably hasn’t had to do at AFL level before. He still has things to work on, and he has plenty of time ahead of him to improve in the areas he needs to (and I am confident he will). I don’t think people commenting on those issues are a concern. It’s like Ronke as you say, deadly around goals and I love him there but his field kicking up the ground often leaves a bit to be desired. I have commented on that in games but that doesn’t mean I don’t absolutely love Ronke in our forward mix.

I think he has been great since he has come back. I have been very consistent with Aliir all along, that he had to have at least decent defensive skills to play seniors. He had to play a bit of NEAFL this year but the coaches (and Aliir) were (correctly) patient and his positives far outweigh his negatives right now as a result. I expect that to continue to evolve until he is very solid defensively and even more damaging with his attack in time.

Nic Newman 24 gamer, heavily criticised.
Jordan Foote 6 gamer, heavily criticised
Sam Reid, Premiership Player, heavily criticised.
Kieren Jack, 243 gamer, heavily criticised
Dan Hannebery, 204 gamer, heavily criticised
Harry Cunningham, 97 gamer, heavily criticised
James Rose, 9 gamer, heavily criticised
Kurt Tippett, retired, heavily criticised (albeit by only 1 person)
Gary Rohan, 106 gamer, heavily criticised
Dean Towers, 57 gamer, heavily criticised

It's not just Aliir...

It's not just Aliir...

Aliir has shown a lot more in his first 20 games than all of those have. Towers and Rohan and Rose and Cunningham and Foote were not continually in our best players in their first 20 games and then still being heavily criticised. That's the difference. Aliir can have a really solid game and people will still say "but..."

It's not just Aliir...

When the shiny new toy comes along and doesn’t live up to its promise, look out! ;)

Aliir has shown a lot more in his first 20 games than all of those have. Towers and Rohan and Rose and Cunningham and Foote were not continually in our best players in their first 20 games and then still being heavily criticised. That's the difference. Aliir can have a really solid game and people will still say "but..."

Can’t agree with you on Hannebery and Reid.

Reid in particular held CHF in a premiership team.

Can’t agree with you on Hannebery and Reid.

Reid in particular held CHF in a premiership team.

I wasn't referring to them. I'm not even sure why they along with Jack were brought up when I was talking about players in a similar position to Aliir (young/inexperienced players)

I know how you feel, I watch Towers closely when he's playing after all the 'lost us the game' nonsense, and he' was actually nowhere near as bad as people made out.

There is quite a bit of groupthink going on. Also this place is a bit of an echo chamber, certain views on players seem to be well accepted, but only if it keeps being repeated over and over again (see Tippett criticism), it eventually becomes 'truth'.

I wasn't referring to them. I'm not even sure why they along with Jack were brought up when I was talking about players in a similar position to Aliir (young/inexperienced players)

Well Reid is probably a fair example given he showed heaps of promise and then had daggers thrown at him for years until probably last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I brought them up because their experience (or lack thereof) makes no impression of whether they get criticised or not.

Well Reid is probably a fair example given he showed heaps of promise and then had daggers thrown at him for years until probably last year.

So Aliir is condemned to follow that trajectory?

I'd rather just enjoy him for the footy he's playing now, especially if there's a good chance he'll be gone next year anyway

Not at all. I just don’t think he is treated differently to most other players.

(note: I am not necessarily saying the criticism is fair or reasonable for any of these players, hell I “defended” Reid for years, it just is the standard fare).

New player comes on scene <hype>, shows promise <lots more hype>, doesn’t improve a necessary area two years on <questions asked>, doesn’t meet supporters original expectations once fully mature = “under performers” <some detractors remain>

(Most of the time it is our expectations that are the problem)

I'd rather just enjoy him for the footy he's playing now, especially if there's a good chance he'll be gone next year anyway
And that's great and it's great that you can find the joy in it cause that seems to be pretty rare on here... It's just the expectation that everyone else will go along that is causing you angst.

This board, across all forums I have read, is a mostly negative space. Most people seem to come here to complain, vent, blame etc... there are very few positives. When you find them, enjoy them and ignore everyone/everything else, including me :).

Aliir is my view is a good attacking defender with intercepts and surprisingly good foot skills. He could eventually become a pretty elite interceptor. He also takes the game and plays on which gets our transition moving quickly. He's shown in the last few outings that he hasn't yet learnt how to be an effective one on one defender. Yes theres not much he can do with lace out disposal when they midfield turns it over but Rampe would have had the same with Ben Brown. Thats a trade he needs to learn from Grundy and Rampe. He's got his weaknesses but with grundy and rampe as key defenders who can win one on ones, the swans have time to develop his one on one game. Hope we sign him up and dont go after mcgovern or moore. Keep all our young players who are on the up.

Harsh criticism of his one on one work imo. Not much you can do when it’s lace out

Probably right actually. Think it was Higgins who hit Daw on the chest with a perfect pass, pretty hard to stop those. I haven't had a chance to watch a replay but I think I was focusing too much on the contests that he lost. He adds a lot to this defence and we should be re-signing him before his value goes up!

His contract expires at the end of the year, don't think we'd be ina strong negotiating position.
Yep agreed, we are in a weak negotiating position.

Club needs to get decent value and be prepared to make life hard, if it cannot be found.

Yep agreed, we are in a weak negotiating position.

Club needs to get decent value and be prepared to make life hard, if it cannot be found.

I just listened to:

Harley on radio talking about a new contract for Aliir

https://www.sportsradio.com.au/aliirs-future-at-the-swans-guaranteed/

and Aliir is a multicultural ambassador. I suspect this is tied to his contact at the Swans and if he moved clubs may not continue ... ???

I think ambassador roles are outside the cap ??? If it is substantial and tied to NSW then it would be a strong incentive to stick around.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back