Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #13 - Jordan Gallucci

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd agree. That is the next step for Gallucci.
Quite a few that were drafted after Gooch in 2016 are certainly out performing him quite substantially at this point too. Jarrod Berry, Sam Powell-Pepper, Will Hayward, Alex Witherden, Zac Fisher and Jack Graham to name a few.

Quite a few that were drafted after Gooch in 2016 are certainly out performing him quite substantially at this point too. Jarrod Berry, Sam Powell-Pepper, Will Hayward, Alex Witherden, Zac Fisher and Jack Graham to name a few.

It's half way through the 2nd year, and really who is in front now hardly matters. Different roles/different situations etc. Especially for a side that is rather renowned for being careful developers.

What does is he is now best 22 here (seeing I doubt we'll drop him from here) which was the big thing he had to achieve this season. Now the game becomes one of can he translate those skills he has into a top 10 player.

I reckon he can, in due time. Explosiveness, and kicking skill means majority of that battle is already in Goochs favour.

It's half way through the 2nd year, and really who is in front now hardly matters. Different roles/different situations etc. Especially for a side that is rather renowned for being careful developers.

What does is he is now best 22 here (seeing I doubt we'll drop him from here) which was the big thing he had to achieve this season. Now the game becomes one of can he translate those skills he has into a top 10 player.

I reckon he can, in due time. Explosiveness, and kicking skill means majority of that battle is already in Goochs favour.
It's tough. This time last year the entire 2015 draft year was ahead of Doedee.

I really don't understand the relevance of your post. Similar could be said of Milera and Fog or probably any teen pick in year 2. Getting going and looking good early is often as much about opportunity as it is talent. How was Doedee looking to the AFL world after 2 full years? Had Lever not left, he'd have had to wait for Harto's injury to get a game.

All of these players have had significantly more games than Gallucci. Kid played 1 game last year and only 10 this year. Your comparing him to players that have played 30 games, maybe more. We are talking about a team that will keep playing players like Douglas, Mackay and Atkins no matter how they perform. Its pretty tough to break into this side if your not one of the selectors favorites.

I really don't understand the relevance of your post. Similar could be said of Milera and Fog or probably any teen pick in year 2. Getting going and looking good early is often as much about opportunity as it is talent. How was Doedee looking to the AFL world after 2 full years? Had Lever not left, he'd have had to wait for Harto's injury to get a game.
Don't think you can play Lever and Doedee at the same time, they are too similar.

Pretty clear from the draft class of 2016 the named players taken after Gallucci have all out performed him quite substantially to this point. If you're suggesting they'll all fall off a cliff and Gallucci will explode past them fair enough, I don't see that happening personally.

Can't see the big time mid we're talking about in Gallucci tbh. Yea run off a wing a bit, back of the square, the odd centre bounce... But I dont think he'll be at an opening bounce unless we have serious injury worries.

He is an outside mid/ small forward long term IMO.
Yep , perfect summation

Untrue Thursday night.
Dem peripherals. But there should have been more talk.
Don’t think we are the most chatty side out there.
This should change.
The lack of talk has been telling this year ... you nailed that one .
Sloane to captain next year will help this situation .

Don't think you can play Lever and Doedee at the same time, they are too similar.

We wouldn't have had a choice from memory. When Harto first missed, I don't think we had either Keath or Cheney available. I think Otto went back, so the Dude probably wouldn't have gotten the nod, would probably still be yet to debut if Lever stayed and remained uninjured.

Pretty clear from the draft class of 2016 the named players taken after Gallucci have all out performed him quite substantially to this point. If you're suggesting they'll all fall off a cliff and Gallucci will explode past them fair enough, I don't see that happening personally.

But that's going to be true of lots of players in every draft. I just don't see how it adds to any conversation about where Gooch is heading.

Yep , perfect summation

Also probably a perfect summary of Rankine. Doesnt mean there is anything wrong with that. Gallucci has speed and we desperately need that. He has a bit to do yet, but assuming he does, I would take him over SPP and Graham. Hopefully we can still land a quality inside mid this year and that player will find his way into our side when Sloane and Gibbs are not up to it anymore. I would definately have preferred Witherdon, but we are pretty well stocked up in that part of the ground. The one area that we really lack is speed and we look a lot better side with Murphy and Gallucci in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We wouldn't have had a choice from memory. When Harto first missed, I don't think we had either Keath or Cheney available. I think Otto went back, so the Dude probably wouldn't have gotten the nod, would probably still be yet to debut if Lever stayed and remained uninjured.

I agree and that points to a major flaw that we have in our coaching set up. Our selection is suspect and our list development has suffered because of it. We had to dig into our depth this year and we were found wanting. It would have helped in more than one way if we had been willing to drop players who weren't performing. We have Mackay, Douglas and Atkins names in permanent marker. They all have deserved to be dropped at certain times in 2016/2017. We haven't given ROB a go. We haven't had a look at Harry Dear. We chose to play an extra slow tall when we should have known better. Where there is smoke there is fire and our selection threads over the last couple of years have been blowing up for a reason.

The lack of talk has been telling this year ... you nailed that one .
Sloane to captain next year will help this situation .

What would that fix? Sloane is allowed to talk and would be in charge of what is going on in our midfield.

If we aren't talking in the midfield when Sloane is playing, that is a massive red flag that he should not be captain.

What would that fix? Sloane is allowed to talk and would be in charge of what is going on in our midfield.

If we aren't talking in the midfield when Sloane is playing, that is a massive red flag that he should not be captain.

It was interesting to see the stat that shows Beams has improved his performances since stepping down as captain. I wouldn't want to burden Sloane with the captaincy given that he has been down on his best form for over a year. You dont want to give the opposition a chance to easily tag your skipper out of the game. It might benefit Tex to not be captain too. Let him just concentrate on playing his best footy from next year on.

If Matt Crouch or Rory Laird are up to the job, I would be looking to give it to one of them. Preferably Matt. Could help keep him long term as well.

It was interesting to see the stat that shows Beams has improved his performances since stepping down as captain. I wouldn't want to burden Sloane with the captaincy given that he has been down on his best form for over a year. You dont want to give the opposition a chance to easily tag your skipper out of the game. It might benefit Tex to not be captain too. Let him just concentrate on playing his best footy from next year on.

If Matt Crouch or Rory Laird are up to the job, I would be looking to give it to one of them. Preferably Matt. Could help keep him long term as well.
Don't think Beams is is a particularly good example to use given the forces at work behind his decision to stand down that are in no way relevant to Sloane. Don't see it happening unless Tex instigates it anyway.

Most if not all of our draftees in the past 10 years have been somewhat slow burns. The only three I can think of that were very good in their second season were the Crouch brothers and McGovern.

Don't think Beams is is a particularly good example to use given the forces at work behind his decision to stand down that are in no way relevant to Sloane. Don't see it happening unless Tex instigates it anyway.
I wouldn't be against Tex & Sloane being co-captains.

Both are very deserving.

Most if not all of our draftees in the past 10 years have been somewhat slow burns. The only three I can think of that were very good in their second season were the Crouch brothers and McGovern.

McGovern got a lot of games in his 2nd season, but wasn't fantastic. Really broke out in his third.

It is a common thing though, we tend to opt for a very careful approach with development.

Lever and Cameron went alright.

Laird, Brown, Smith.

It's that they dont get much of a chance
Yea! the club is very bad at developing players. They're not given too many chances to impress or develop. Think on how much better Cameron Y. would have been had we given him more games in his first year? We wasted 2 years on Tom D.. We are now wasting a lot of time in not developing the likes of Himmelberg, R.O.B., Dear, and others. And why the hell have they dropped Poholke and Fogy? How the hell are they going to develop if they're not given time to settle in the team?
P.N. The above is directed at those that, one minute they praise the club for being good at developing talent, and the next minute complain that some of the new draftees don't get to play enough games in their first year. You cannot have it both ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back