Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:

AFL stats pro...

It’s just a stats ranking average against others in the same position.

I might add, that I am looking at Aliirs stats on afl stats pro, and it says “key forward”. Those stats have been compared to a key forward unfortunately! Poor stats given it’s on AFL website!!

To explain (note: Aliir played one game as a forward).
Aliir is “elite” here for 3.6 rebounds. Yet Grundy has 4.1 and is above average.

Can you qualify as elite after 5 games? or even 35 games? Don't you need to at least reach 50...

CD look at 3 periods of time for the rankings and benchmarking: current season only, the last 27 rounds and the last 54 rounds.

My guess is that would be for this season only and his small sample size helps tremendously.

People mock him for his disposal but like the above stats show I think he is actually really good. He looks slow to make a decision but he almost never gets caught holding the ball and when he does make a decision it is usually reasonably attacking and usually the right one.

He is also an excellent intercept marker. His only problem at the moment is his 1 on 1 defending, but I am hoping that will improve.

AFL stats pro...

It’s just a stats ranking average against others in the same position.

I might add, that I am looking at Aliirs stats on afl stats pro, and it says “key forward”. Those stats have been compared to a key forward unfortunately! Poor stats given it’s on AFL website!!

To explain (note: Aliir played one game as a forward).
Aliir is “elite” here for 3.6 rebounds. Yet Grundy has 4.1 and is above average.

Their journalists have gotten very lazy. I'm thinking of that shocker about Hanners without a mention of him being injured.

As I said I thought he was playing well but not that well.

Nic Newman 24 gamer, heavily criticised.
Jordan Foote 6 gamer, heavily criticised
Sam Reid, Premiership Player, heavily criticised.
Kieren Jack, 243 gamer, heavily criticised
Dan Hannebery, 204 gamer, heavily criticised
Harry Cunningham, 97 gamer, heavily criticised
James Rose, 9 gamer, heavily criticised
Kurt Tippett, retired, heavily criticised (albeit by only 1 person)
Gary Rohan, 106 gamer, heavily criticised
Dean Towers, 57 gamer, heavily criticised

It's not just Aliir...

You forgot
Daniel Robinson 21 games
Harry Marsh 25 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Aliir is better than a swingman, as others have mentioned his ability to intercept and create his own play makes him extremely dangerous even for someone who has played less than 30 games.

IMO Aliir is better than a swingman, as others have mentioned his ability to intercept and create his own play makes him extremely dangerous even for someone who has played less than 30 games.

He strikes me as similar to McGovern in the sense that they'd both be handy enough as forwards and can do their job in times of need as forwards but their senses for the game are far more suited to being defenders where they can zone off and intercept.

(Without knowing anything about our salary cap and list management situation) I’d probably pay him $400k average I can’t see why he is not going to get better with age and experience.

If he wants 400k i would probably offer him a 4 year 1.6million dollar contract. Something like 350 350 450 450.
I would offer 5 but nervous about injury etc

His trajectory should be fairly strong so I reckon we’d end up paying unders.

If Aliir is smart, he should want/take a deal around 350-400 for two years and back himself to make more in the next contract

Aliir is the x factor type that can win you games. Like Rioli at Hawthorn or Naitanui at West Coast, except Aliir is capable of getting 20+ touches. If he does stay, Horse has the opportunity to make something very special out of Aliir. He's a backman who plays in the defensive half, but that's about where the normality of Aliir ends. Not that he isn't capable but I feel he's almost wasted if he plays out games just one on one. He should be given the license to play more freely, unleash him to do what he does best and force the opposition to try and stop him. Aside from Buddy and maybe JPK or Parker at their peaks, how many Swans have we had in recent years who have been nightmares for oppositions? We're usually worrying about shutting down Robbie Gray, Shaun Higgins, Elliot Yeo, Shaun Burgoyne, Chad Wingard types.. well how about our turn to have a dangerous player that doesn't fit into a mould !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back