Podcast The Cat Attack Podcast presented by K ROCK FOOTBALL

Remove this Banner Ad

Could we see a larger than expected list turnover at seasons end?

McCarthy - can't stay fit)
Murdoch - can't be consistent)
GHS - cant get an AFL game despite being very consistent
Gregson - 4th Navicular issue.
Buzza - Cant see the ball depth wise after having 12 months to work on it.
Taylor - Been a warrior but now barely gets up each week with foot.
Hayball - gone.
Menzel - Should not go but its a 1 year deal.
Smith - crossroads and cant get a game - granted hurt last 5 weeks.
Stanley - MUCH MUCH improved last month but is it enough.

Suddenly there is 10 you could argue could be gone - and after similar amounts in previous year... thats close to the entire list roll over in 5 years.

GO Catters

Benny and the Jet...

Are we a great club yet?

Just have a look at our finals performance the last few years.. pretty poor to average. If we miss finals.. will Chris Scott start to feel the heat from club and media? Chris has a great ability to avoid lazer like focus that some get , he seems to be the teflon coach.. rarely does he get serious challenged ... yet if he had not come in on the tail of Bomber would we be looking at a 06 like assessment where we are... we are 11,12,13,14,15,16,17 and 18. Exclude 11.. and we really have failed to maintain our status.. now we seem to slip back to what we once were. A team other clubs are happy to play in big games.. we have soft under belly. Is it a coincidence that after the 3/4 time scuffle against the Swans.. that they got up and going while we withered ... and just this last week ... Tex Walker runs thru 2E and another side beats us and our response is... we flounder.. we fluff our kicks , we drop marks , we miss goals..

Have we , "the Geelong Football Club" ...slid back into the arms of Mother mediocrity? Are we sipping at her tit lapping up the milk of past premierships , warm and full , deluded in her embrace , that we are one of the best clubs... but are we? Really I don't see it. We are not the worst for sure but are we anything other than average?

The goal of Cook was to make us a great club but some date I cant remember... yet I have this feeling we are decidedly middle. What are we.. about 50% of the membership of Richmond? We sit in the middle of the ladder among other ordinary average clubs , we win about half of our games ..and rely on a home ground advantage to a unhealthy degree. The great man Wells ... has not recruited a better than average player with his R1 picks in over 10 years. We have a home ground the can only hold an average sized crowd. How many Flags have we won? 9 Flags.. for a club that has been around for as long as us?Seems average. Not StKlida ..but not Essendon.

Maybe we should just accept that Chris Scott escapes any harsh attention.. because he is not a bad coach , he is not a good to great coach.. his is just good to average.. he sits in well with a club that is good to average.

Luke Dahlhaus ? Have you herd anything about him been linked to Geelong?
We are desperate for a good small forward player ( as always injured) he might of be playing more midfield at the dogs, but I'd love him to come to Geelong. Just wondering what you guys think.
Cheers FoxDog50

Channeling some of our most underwhelmed posters there, Turbocat.

The finals capitulations have become unacceptable, that's for sure. Too many of them now to dismiss the entirety based on particular extenuating circumstances for each contest. The last two PF's have been particularly noteworthy (or blameworthy) in that respect. Both close to over within minutes of the first bounce.

However, the idea that we are an average club just doesn't square with our recent history. Apart from the Lions and the Hawks, we are the only club to win three flags (or, in Hawthorn's case, four) since 2000. And West Coast is the only other club to have won three flags since the Bombers triumphed in '85-'93-'00.

And, apart from the Weagles, we're the only one of those clubs currently situated in the top eight for 2018. With the Lions a virtual basket-case for years on end, the Hawks struggling to regenerate and stay at the pointy end, and the Dons reduced to blatant cheating to try and arrest their ongoing years of irrelevance.

So, if we are average, I can't imagine what that makes so many other clubs (including all the others I haven't mentioned) over the same period.

I can certainly acknowledge the dominance of some other membership numbers over ours. But there has been demonstrable improvement in our figures over recent years as well. And our stadium is an absolute triumph now (despite its relative size to a behemonth like the MCG) for all of us who can remember the dilapidated stands and concrete wasteland that was Kardinia as recently as 20 years ago.

I acknowledge that our trajectory over the 44-year drought was decidedly shaky at times. And, in fact, looked like driving us pretty much to the wall in the late 90's. So I see our resurgence and return to relevance as an incredible success, marked by key contributions from many quality individuals both on the field and off.

Are we a great club? Maybe not. However, I wonder who supposedly fits this criteria across the comp in any case.

But I would certainly see that we are a good club. Alongside not too many others across the AFL either.

And the coach would most certainly fit my understanding of 'good' rather than 'great'. But the thought that his standing as the coach with the highest winning percentage all-time (for a coach who's stayed the course) actually sees him classed as 'average' is quite a stretch for mine.

We can clearly see that the club is not achieving all of its goals on and off the field at the moment.

But the idea that we are somehow 'average' as a result doesn't square with how we are generally still performing at a decent level in most areas of the footy club's operations. And remain a club where many players are demonstrably happy to come and play.

In the end, I don't think too many average footy clubs basically outperform every other club in the comp bar one over the last thirty years.

Last edited:
Channeling some of our most underwhelmed posters there, Turbocat.

The finals capitulations have become unacceptable, that's for sure. Too many of them now to dismiss the entirety based on particular extenuating circumstances for each contest. The last two PF's have been particularly noteworthy (or blameworthy) in that respect. Both close to over within minutes of the first bounce.

However, the idea that we are an average club just doesn't square with our recent history. Apart from the Lions and the Hawks, we are the only club to win three flags (or, in Hawthorn's case, four) since 2000. And West Coast is the only other club to have won three flags since the Bombers triumphed in '85-'93-'00.

And, apart from the Weagles, we're the only one of those clubs currently situated in the top eight for 2018. With the Lions a virtual basket-case for years on end, the Hawks struggling to regenerate and stay at the pointy end, and the Dons reduced to blatant cheating to try and arrest their ongoing years of irrelevance.

So, if we are average, I can't imagine what that makes so many other clubs (including all the others I haven't mentioned) over the same period.

I can certainly acknowledge the dominance of some other membership numbers over ours. But there has been demonstrable improvement in our figures over recent years as well. And our stadium is an absolute triumph now (despite its relative size to a behemonth like the MCG) for all of us who can remember the dilapidated stands and concrete wasteland that was Kardinia as recently as 20 years ago.

I acknowledge that our trajectory over the 44-year drought was decidedly shaky at times. And, in fact, looked like driving us pretty much to the wall in the late 90's. So I see our resurgence and return to relevance as an incredible success, marked by key contributions from many quality individuals both on the field and off.

Are we a great club? Maybe not. However, I wonder who supposedly fits this criteria across the comp in any case.

But I would certainly see that we are a good club. Alongside not too many others across the AFL either.

And the coach would most certainly fit my understanding of 'good' rather than 'great'. But the thought that his standing as the coach with the highest winning percentage all-time (for a coach who's stayed the course) actually sees him classed as 'average' is quite a stretch for mine.

We can clearly see that the club is not achieving all of its goals on and off the field at the moment.

But the idea that we are somehow 'average' as a result doesn't square with how we are generally still performing at a decent level in most areas of the footy club's operations. And remain a club where many players are demonstrably happy to come and play.

In the end, I don't think too many average footy clubs basically outperform every other club in the comp bar one over the last thirty years.

The specific target Cook set was Great..and it was that which is what was comparing us against.. and when I look at some very obvious measurable.. I think we are closer to average than great. Lets see what Krock boys say and we can debate it afterwards if you want.

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/cat-attack-podcasts/

Latest version post Crows game is up..

WHACKS a plenty.

Great listen!

GO Catters

Things have returned to normal ..you are back to being the Golden child again Daz.

Yes..I think Benny had the Kill Bill sword out early in this edition ..a heap of guys cut. Good comments on Buzza. The comment about where the list is..you could either be positive or negative resonated with a lot of comments on here.

Personally I think the draft sometimes lags need. Brisbane will get a good kid again this year..but really I think they have all the good kids they need now ..its just time and experience etc.. and we on the other hand desperately need some early pick kids.. but our ladder position is not yet reflecting that in draft position.

Last edited:
Here is a question ( but you probably will discuss this in general thou)
Our Forward line, surely we have to look at another option to help Hawkins ( please he stays injury free). Surely we need another option down there to help him as we rely on him so much it's not funny.
Menzel will start hope to find his straps very soon. ( fingers cross) But surely if Taylor comes back he goes down to defence and Henderson goes forward ?
Can we play Crameri in there?
Chris Scott did say in his press conference that he was going to stick with Henry down there. But do you really think that's our best option?
Cheers FoxDog50

Last edited:
RD 19

Can we get a replay of the last 30 sec so the call in this weeks Podcast... Just want to hear exactly how Ken Bruce everyone gets ( I was higher than Joe Cocker too!) and how invested we all were. Great to hear and it really reflected the vibe around Burbank and KP... awesome.

Back to business however - was gonna say another crucial game but lets face it, every game over potentially the next 9 weeks is an Elim Final and must be played as such. So how do we get the last 1/4 form for the next 9 weeks. That was unstoppable champagne footy. Still had issues no doubt but also was attacking team first stuff.

And can the 26 players we have go in and out of the side and keep that desire and momentum going? Dogs got hot in 16, Tigers did it in 17. Not saying we are that good - but we can be.

So how do we take Hawkins form as Godzilla in F50 and keep that going? Surely teams will focus on him even more - does than mean it opens up for someone else to present as a target in F 50 - like a PFD/GAJ type or do we roll with Henry there again ( Give Benny time to settle down after doing a valve at this suggestion I feel)

Anyway, we need a win - and the % will follow.

GO Catters

RD 19

Can we get a replay of the last 30 sec so the call in this weeks Podcast... Just want to hear exactly how Ken Bruce everyone gets ( I was higher than Joe Cocker too!) and how invested we all were. Great to hear and it really reflected the vibe around Burbank and KP... awesome.

Back to business however - was gonna say another crucial game but lets face it, every game over potentially the next 9 weeks is an Elim Final and must be played as such. So how do we get the last 1/4 form for the next 9 weeks. That was unstoppable champagne footy. Still had issues no doubt but also was attacking team first stuff.

And can the 26 players we have go in and out of the side and keep that desire and momentum going? Dogs got hot in 16, Tigers did it in 17. Not saying we are that good - but we can be.

So how do we take Hawkins form as Godzilla in F50 and keep that going? Surely teams will focus on him even more - does than mean it opens up for someone else to present as a target in F 50 - like a PFD/GAJ type or do we roll with Henry there again ( Give Benny time to settle down after doing a valve at this suggestion I feel)

Anyway, we need a win - and the % will follow.

GO Catters

Daz I think they could do a minute or two leading up to it. I think it was Ben at one stage was asked what does melb have to do to win..and the response of.. "i don't care cause I want geelong to win" ...

Loved the KRock call at the death last week. I was at the game, been going to KP since I was a kid and that last quarter was the loudest I have ever heard the crowd raw after each last qtr goal.

Q. The biggest hole in our team is quality, durable small forwards. How do we address this? Cocky, Linc, Gregson always injured. Fog, Narkle and Jones are in their debut season. Murdoch, Parsons probably not good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daz I think they could do a minute or two leading up to it. I think it was Ben at one stage was asked what does melb have to do to win..and the response of.. "i don't care cause I want geelong to win" ...
Maybe this week should be the 12 inch mega mix version...

46 minutes.

GO Catters

Great listen again... and how good was the last minute call..!! Nudeness everwhere!

Good to see KROCK call used on 360 the other night too

Looking forward to this week - even if Benny is taking a dive - Is the Fog running somewhere special on Sat?!?!

Top effort again team.

GO Catters

Very entertaining cameo on the Coodabeens Kingy :)

Question(s) for the week: given it looks like Stewart will miss the rest of the home and away season, do you think he has done enough to secure an All Australian spot?

EDIT: Scrap that, Stewart apparently in the mix for this week :drunk:

Also, who is your new favourite player and why is it Jack Henry? I hope he gets some recognition in the Rising Star for his on-field achievements, but his post-game interview with you on Saturday was telling of his character off-field I felt.

Last edited:
I thought Rhys Stanley was out the door a month ago but now is playing with confidence that we haven't seen in his time at the GFC

Does his past month of footy mean that CS and Wells would re-evaluate the need for another ruckman in the trade/draft period & What does it mean for Zac Smith & Ryan Abbott ?

Personally i would look at trading Smith or de listing and rookie listing Abbott.

Does the Club now Trust Rhys enough for him to carry the ruck for the foreseeable future?

I thought Rhys Stanley was out the door a month ago but now is playing with confidence that we haven't seen in his time at the GFC

Does his past month of footy mean that CS and Wells would re-evaluate the need for another ruckman in the trade/draft period & What does it mean for Zac Smith & Ryan Abbott ?

Personally i would look at trading Smith or de listing and rookie listing Abbott.

Does the Club now Trust Rhys enough for him to carry the ruck for the foreseeable future?

Stanley is 27. We should probably start developing a younger ruck as well

What are your thoughts on Jelwood spending more time in the backline?

Also, loving the outside-the-box thinking of Matty Scarlett lately - first the Tuohy move v Melbourne and now Joel in the backline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back