Free Agency Tom Lynch [moves to Richmond as a Restricted Free Agent]

Will Lynch stay at the Suns?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They did meet but Lynch told him he signed with Eddie in Sorrento when they had dinner
Signs for me are that Collingwood is out of the race. Thomas re-signing on a 3 year deal and Moore is apparently close too. Signs are we’re sorting out our guys now and Lynch isn’t a part of that picture.

Signs for me are that Collingwood is out of the race. Thomas re-signing on a 3 year deal and Moore is apparently close too. Signs are we’re sorting out our guys now and Lynch isn’t a part of that picture.
Like a few here, I've heard that it's between us and the Pies and we are the frontrunner.

As you say, if Moore re-signs with the Pies then they are likely out of the race and IMO be strong indication he is going to Richmond. If Moore doesn't sign, then who knows.

Like a few here, I've heard that it's between us and the Pies and we are the frontrunner.

As you say, if Moore re-signs with the Pies then they are likely out of the race and IMO be strong indication he is going to Richmond. If Moore doesn't sign, then who knows.
I think Hawks are dark horses. Cyril has freed up abit of cap space for them.

I think the overall objection stems from the Suns being used as a feeder club and even when another team comes in to take one of the top talents in the competition, they are not being made to pay for that advantage. So whilst I would be happy with those two picks (in this draft especially) there is a bitterness in practically gifting a Vic club top tier talent whilst we have to go back to the beginning and train up new players who may then also defect back to their home states.
It sounds like your issue is with the free agency rules. Hardly unfair for a club to be using them to target a gun player who is eligible.
As a Suns supporter did you see the unfairness in being able to just take Bock, Brown, Ablett, Rischitelli, Harbrow, Brennan, Fraser and whoever else Iv'e forgotten?
And as for "defecting to their home state", that is precisely why each of the northern states clubs are given the benefit of an academy which allows them to pour massive development into their kids prior to drafting.
There could be an argument laid that the benefit gained from being allowed access to an academy far outweighs the disadvantage created by the odd player leaving via free agency.
Surely it's incumbent on the club to create an environment where players want to be rather than claim it's unfair when they leave.

<shrug>. The dude who told me has been a great source in the past. I think it's between Richmond and Collingwood. But I suppose anything is possible.
Franklin was signed, sealed and delivered to GWS, remember?

I reckon Lynch comes out after Round 23 and announces he is joining North lol

It sounds like your issue is with the free agency rules. Hardly unfair for a club to be using them to target a gun player who is eligible.
As a Suns supporter did you see the unfairness in being able to just take Bock, Brown, Ablett, Rischitelli, Harbrow, Brennan, Fraser and whoever else Iv'e forgotten?
And as for "defecting to their home state", that is precisely why each of the northern states clubs are given the benefit of an academy which allows them to pour massive development into their kids prior to drafting.
There could be an argument laid that the benefit gained from being allowed access to an academy far outweighs the disadvantage created by the odd player leaving via free agency.
Surely it's incumbent on the club to create an environment where players want to be rather than claim it's unfair when they leave.

All clubs signed off what the expansion clubs entitlements were. To imply some sort of guilt or "unfairness" in signing those players is disrespectful to those individuals as well as the other clubs hierarchy that signed off on it all. BS point to bring up.

Have you thought the academy strategy is to actually access the 8-10 million population that does not reside in VIC, SA, and WA.

Your last sentence I actually agree, we obviously forked it up and didn't have the added benefits of having a club room, training and admin facilities until about 12 months ago. Even GWS had that infrastructure in place.

I think many here have overlooked if Suns accept pick 3 it rules us out of any free agents coming our way which we really need , if we snag one free agent it dilutes pick 3 which is why I think Suns will match if Lynch wants a trade and ask for a couple of first rounders.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You sound desperate, if the Suns match any deal the AFL need to sack everyone involved and start again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think many here have overlooked if Suns accept pick 3 it rules us out of any free agents coming our way which we really need , if we snag one free agent it dilutes pick 3 which is why I think Suns will match if Lynch wants a trade and ask for a couple of first rounders.

Which free agent do you believe the suns are into ??

I dont think there is any worth going after that would be open to moving , BUT

If i was Gold Coast list manager i would seriously be going after the 2 McGoverns

Disagree with this. The rule is that "any club with a net loss" will be compensated, but there's no hard and fast rule about what is a gain and what's a loss.

I can see them losing Lynch, gaining a Alex Fasolo (random example, but just to make a point) and even someone else and the compensation remaining as pick 3 because well, it's the AFL.

Trust me, they'll come up with something, like "the loss far outweighs the gain when considering age, contract length and contract values" and they'll expect to get away with no one asking questions.

Disagree with this. The rule is that "any club with a net loss" will be compensated, but there's no hard and fast rule about what is a gain and what's a loss.

I can see them losing Lynch, gaining a Alex Fasolo (random example, but just to make a point) and even someone else and the compensation remaining as pick 3 because well, it's the AFL.

Trust me, they'll come up with something, like "the loss far outweighs the gain when considering age, contract length and contract values" and they'll expect to get away with no one asking questions.

If Franklin was only worth one first rounder 5 years ago, for a 9 year $10 million dollar contract, then no other player will demand more than that as compensation.

The precedent has already been set......Simples.

You should make them take Aaron Hall for a first and a third and then agreee not to match for Lynch. Trade your 3rd rounders for any FAs if you can arrange any.

If Franklin was only worth one first rounder 5 years ago, for a 9 year $10 million dollar contract, then no other player will demand more than that as compensation.

The precedent has already been set......Simples.

If you were legitimately replying to my post, I think you've completely misunderstood what I wrote.

Lynch wasn't meeting Balme at the airport. Good coincidence though.

I'm sure Pie fans wouldn't be drawing conclusions if he was seen with Ned Guy.:rolleyes:

Which FA’s do you think are on the clubs radar? I’m tipping it isn’t any of the headline acts ala Gaff? If that’s the case wouldn’t it be better to just trade for them?

You’re going to have what 5 picks inside the top 25 no matter which way it goes so perhaps you could trade a 2019 pick or your 3rd rounder to bring in a FA. Is it really worth overlooking pick 3 because a lower end FA may dilute it?

FWIW I can’t see a FA that would dilute your compensation choosing GC anyway...

Back