Preview Round 18 Hawks v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love Burton to be given CHB responsibility. Form has been way down this year, which could be second year blues. However he lost his best position when Sicily excelled as a backman. Has the size, and showed his class last year, now he has the rest of the year to get his confidence back.

Quite a few on the Blues board are calling Tom an ineffectual seagull, citing his 43 possies in a well beaten side last week. Hope he rips them a new one; indeed I hope the whole team shows more spirit this week. Howe to run with wunderkid Cripps, who is a contested beast, but sprays the ball by hand and foot.
Interesting comments by them seeing Cripps is a high possession winner who handballs a lot in a weak side who lose most weeks . So I guess they view him as an ineffective seagull too ?:)

the ultimate optimistic scenario,
brand comes in or burton holds down center half back, silk slots perfectly back into the back 6 the following week,
we win the next 3 games, birchall returns we win 5 out of the last 6 games,
sicily comes back first week of the finals and stars taking screamers and causing mayhem

we can only dream,
one thing i know this will really test clarkson and the coaching panel lets see if they can come up with a plan after **** and hodge undid them

Brand had a bad game when he came into the side earlier in the season and he was out next game. I thought that he was discarded rather quickly, even allowing for his poor performance. Now that Sicily is gone for the year we should give him a few games at least. With Frawley at FB he could play at CHB. Frawley wasn't there last time he played so he wouldn't be the lone tall this time.

So,vaguely realistically, I'd like to see for this week:
In: Brand, Worpel, Pittonet
Out:Sicily(inj),O'Brien,Duryea
Two, proper, rucks worked very well for us against Footscray so Pittonet should partner Ceglar, taking the onus off Ceglar to be the sole genuine ruckman.

After this week seeing as McEvoy, Sicily and Birchall are done for the year I hope we give Nash,Lewis,Pittonet and Cousins a run of games. Henderson has been good but is not performing as well in recent games and he is 30 years old. Same as Whitecross. He was very good in the second quarter last week but faded from the game. He had a lot of mates though. He is not part of the future.

By year's end I would love to see Worpel, Lewis, Nash, Glass and Cousins as regulars in place of O'Brien, Langford, Duryea, Whitecross and Henderson. It would stand us in good stead for next year after another tough pre-season for the younger players. Experience and a good draft position is preferable to scraping into the finals and suffering an inglorious exit

Brand is unable to cover his man and whichever opponent Frawley runs away form. Until he can, they won't play him and Frawley in the same lineup unless there is no other option.

Personally I'd play Brand ahead of Frawley, and try to coach the infringements and panic out of him.

Brand is unable to cover his man and whichever opponent Frawley runs away form. Until he can, they won't play him and Frawley in the same lineup unless there is no other option.

Personally I'd play Brand ahead of Frawley, and try to coach the infringements and panic out of him.

Brand seems to play better for some reason whenever Frawley isn’t in the team. Look at the second half of last season as a prime example of when he played some really good football.

Gunston switches to defence (where he plays bloody well) and Schoe and Lewis get to play up front. No need to revert to TOB. Are you listening to me, MC??

Back ourselves to attack, keep gunston forward, doesn't matter which of TOB or Schoe goes onto curnow they will get killed anyway. Unless TOB takes one for the team and goes the 1970s style hit behind play.
Notice a lot calling for JOR but isn't he injured?

Back ourselves to attack, keep gunston forward, doesn't matter which of TOB or Schoe goes onto curnow they will get killed anyway. Unless TOB takes one for the team and goes the 1970s style hit behind play.

Agree. Keep Gunner forward and cause them headaches. Glass to get a go in Sicily’s role til Burgoyne/ Birchall are back.

JOR declared fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play Stratton on curnow!
Burton 3rd up.

Would it be crazy to suggest schoe in as the chb with frawley to help I think he more capable than tob brand etc.

This week is the ultimate test of whether or not the MC and Clarko truly reward good performances and don't put up with complete inept performances. If it was a horses for courses week at selection and we are legitimate about playing players who deserve a spot then my changes would be -

In: JOR, Schoey, Lewis
Out: Sicily (inj), TOB, Whitecross

I'd bring in Schoenmakers; recently had a look back at his strengths as a draftee, what he did in the under 18 comps, and I feel that we may have ruined him by trying to turn him into a KPD.

"(Ryan) represented South Australia at the 2008 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships, leading the carnival in score assists and ranking in the top 10 for inside 50s."

"Showed he has the full athletic package – 2.90s 20m speed, the best repeat sprint time, 69cm standing VJ and 92cm running VJ, high 13 beep test and low 11 minute 3km."

Unlucky that he came into a side that did not need him up forward, but we do now. We need someone using that delivery inside 50 who has some size, ability to cover ground and kick a goal or two when required.

I'd bring in Schoenmakers; recently had a look back at his strengths as a draftee, what he did in the under 18 comps, and I feel that we may have ruined him by trying to turn him into a KPD.

"(Ryan) represented South Australia at the 2008 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships, leading the carnival in score assists and ranking in the top 10 for inside 50s."

"Showed he has the full athletic package – 2.90s 20m speed, the best repeat sprint time, 69cm standing VJ and 92cm running VJ, high 13 beep test and low 11 minute 3km."

Unlucky that he came into a side that did not need him up forward, but we do now. We need someone using that delivery inside 50 who has some size, ability to cover ground and kick a goal or two when required.

It’s been a long long time since he’s had a decent run at it....for whatever reason

This week is the ultimate test of whether or not the MC and Clarko truly reward good performances and don't put up with complete inept performances. If it was a horses for courses week at selection and we are legitimate about playing players who deserve a spot then my changes would be -

This is similar to the days when Schoey was getting games in the backline. The reason we were short on options and second he knew our structures. Clarko trusted him to abide by them. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Lewis is also no where near fit enough to play a whole game in seniors. Which means it messes with our interchanges. A lot to weigh up during selection than just VFL performance.

In saying that I hope he gets selected because I think TOB may stay in the side to go back but so will Gunners.

On that logic Worpel must play. Ripped it up last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back