Family & Relationships What are the strongest overreactions you've seen in person?

Remove this Banner Ad

Social indoor soccer, I'm watching the game before ours, which is between an English and an Irish team. One of the English lads gets fouled, nothing nasty just the kind of clumsy tackle that is par for the course in these games. He reacts a bit, but play goes on and a few seconds later it's half time.

I figure things have calmed down but no, coming on to the pitch for the second half he walks straight up to his opponent and goes full Zidane on him, nuts him straight in the face. One of his teammates then punches the nearest Irish bloke and in a blink of an eye it's a full on brawl with everyone from both teams involved and refs from other courts trying to break it up. Never seen anything like it in social sport.

Social indoor soccer, I'm watching the game before ours, which is between an English and an Irish team. One of the English lads gets fouled, nothing nasty just the kind of clumsy tackle that is par for the course in these games. He reacts a bit, but play goes on and a few seconds later it's half time.

I figure things have calmed down but no, coming on to the pitch for the second half he walks straight up to his opponent and goes full Zidane on him, nuts him straight in the face. One of his teammates then punches the nearest Irish bloke and in a blink of an eye it's a full on brawl with everyone from both teams involved and refs from other courts trying to break it up. Never seen anything like it in social sport.

This reminds me, I used to play inline hockey and we had a bloke get in a fight one game charged a bloke down from behind and beat the suitcase out of him. Got himself ejected from the game and went back to the change rooms where he kept a machete in his bag (as you do right) later he told us it was 'in case anyone ever wants to fight in the carpark" :drunk:
So about 5 minutes later bloke skates back out machette in hand smashes the perspex behind the opposition bench and proceeds to wave the machete around Jack Nicholson in the shining style whilst yelling at the other team and threatening to kill them. Had to be dragged away and never played again.

This was all in u16s as well.

Don't why but from my experience it is social basketball that attracts the biggest full blown nutters

That and expat poms playing any form of Soccer in Australia

Don't why but from my experience it is social basketball that attracts the biggest full blown nutters

I can let it slide when it's teenage boys/young men but if you're playing social basketball at 30 and losing your mind over a foul call I'd guess all isn't right in your world.

On the soccer, when I moved to Perth I joined a club late in the season and my first game was with their fourths team. We played against a mainly British team from Joondalup and they would lose their mind every time I dribbled around them (then hack the s**t out of me). They ended up complaining at half time that it was unfair I was playing at that level, was the most bizarre thing I'd ever witnessed.

*note: I'm good but not that good

I can let it slide when it's teenage boys/young men but if you're playing social basketball at 30 and losing your mind over a foul call I'd guess all isn't right in your world.

On the soccer, when I moved to Perth I joined a club late in the season and my first game was with their fourths team. We played against a mainly British team from Joondalup and they would lose their mind every time I dribbled around them (then hack the s**t out of me). They ended up complaining at half time that it was unfair I was playing at that level, was the most bizarre thing I'd ever witnessed.

*note: I'm good but not that good

This guy?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...n/news-story/0ed65991141f211a0a91828982e819df

POLICE in Virginia, America, responded to a pick-up basketball game on Tuesday at an LA Fitness gym after a player fell to the floor from an “aggressive screen” and called the cops, according to a witness who posted a photo of the unconventional law enforcement response on social media.

This can be true, my team just finished up because we had too many suspensions, basically got asked to leave the comp. Half were nutbags, the other half (which i was in) were just up for a run around, pretty frustrating.

Giving a female co-worker "feedback" generally ends in a strong overreaction.

Some people love dishing it out but cant take it. Even minor things like "you need to amend this - it says "puncher'" not "puncture" usually ends in threats of going to HR.

Friends were having a wedding reception at a surf club and a few lads were powdering their noses in the dunnies , bouncers busted them and shut down the whole show half way through. Jeezus what a shitshow cops , a pack of hysterical pissed middle aged women , scuffles , headlocks , bottles getting thrown and a bawling bride

Ended up in court I believe and the wedding party got some refund because the whole party shouldn't have been stopped because of a few individual actions

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't see it myself but I guy I know was invited to the Magistrate's Court to explain himself over a fight in an indoor netball game.
I was once dragged out of a court room by a couple of PSOs. I didn't do anything either, just some smug bastard lawyer from Melbourne City Council didn't want me in the public gallery.

Bloody campaigners and one was so cowardly he refused to give his name (which he is required to by law). A friend was arrested but never charged.

If you are a sucker for an OTT overreaction take up social sport. Gold mine for people to go full Shannon Noll because some part time referee missed an iffy foul 20m away in a game of D-grade basketball between two teams that can't field 5 players without ring-ins.
I was a basketball ref for a few years. Boy did I see some absolutely ridiculous behaviour from grown adults.

Did a few men’s games but they weren’t too bad. There was always the one or two dickheads who thought they were playing in the NBA and couldn’t believe a ref was capable of a mistake.

Kids basketball was the worst. Parent coaches losing their s**t in u8 school games because I wasn’t calling every single thing possible or I happened to miss something. Could always pick their kid too because he was generally the shithead who thought he was Kobe Bryant and would spend the entire game sooking when things didn’t go his way.

Then I got the parents who would flip their s**t at me when their kid got hurt accidentally and no actual foul took place. A lot of them didn’t have any idea about the rules but that wouldn’t stop them from going on tirades.

I gave it up because I couldn’t be bothered with all the crap anymore. Pretty pathetic having grown men berating teenagers over a meaningless game. They know teenage refs in particular are easy targets. Sort of wish I stayed on so I could give treat some of those campaigners with the harsh treatment they really deserved. At the time was in a bit of a shell.

Geez, that brought a flashback from my Under 12's footy days (or maybe 14s).

I was playing in the back pocket or HBF. Using all the dirty tactics my coach taught me like standing on my opponent's feet, pinching him, and grabbing his jumper when the umpire wasn't looking. He cracked the sags, obviously not one with a strong temperament.

At quarter time his irate father gave me a passionate verbal blast from the boundary line, and threatened to do mean things to me if I continued the close attention. He looked as if he was about to jump the fence and choke me. I mean FFS, I wasn't punching the kid or anything and it was junior footy. I'm sure there are plenty of sporting parent stories like that.
Nothing beats the feral parents that would sit their and berate my teammates and I when we were primary school aged.

One of my mates at the time tackled a kid to the ground hard but fair and he happened to end up injuring his shoulder from memory. The feral parents spent the rest of the game hurling abuse at my mate like he had gone full Darren Milburn on SOS.

Junior sport brings out the worst in parents. Seen some seriously embarrassing and pathetic displays over the years.

In under 10s basketball I inadvertently caused an opponents coach to forfeit their next game against us, which was a semi final.

This coach was known for being a bit of a loose cannon, but this meltdown took the cake. They were a pretty decent team that were higher up on the ladder against us, and I was given the job of basically tagging their best player. I stuck on him the whole time, never doing anything dirty or illegal, but at half time their coach came to mine to tell me to cut it out. My coach told me to absolutely keep going at it. A time out was called late in the game, the coach didn’t say anything to his team, and instead lost it at the ref for allowing me to play on his player like that. The ref told him that there was nothing illegal and to calm down, obviously, telling an angry person to calm down usually doesn’t work. The kid I was playing on was also getting quite upset but I kept going at it and we got over the line in the end.

We were celebrating and what not, and all of a sudden we all hear a mega roar form their area. The coach was absolutely blasting pretty much anyone in site and they had to get offical from the basketball centre down to pretty much restrain him. People from all of the other courts were all peeping, including ones who were in the middle of games. Majority of the kids in their team were in tears, especially the kid I was on who was a mess. It got to the point where Mum and Dad rushed me out of there to get home as parents from the other team were starting to come across to us, giving us mouthfuls.

A couple of weeks later it came to the finals, and by what felt like a coincidence, we were playing them in the semi. During our final training for the week, our coach gave us the news that the other team had forfeit. They stated that our strategy was unfair and against the spirit of the game. My coach reiterated that I did nothing wrong and played a fantastic game. I never wanted to play dirty mainly because my Mum would never allow it lmao.

We got a free pass through to the grand final because of it. We got absolutely belted, something like 70 to 10, ah well.
You’ve gotta love the clueless ******* dads that coach junior basketball teams. He would have fitted in perfectly with some of the morons I had to put up with while reffing school games.

Favourite of mine was this dickhead coaching his sons u10s team who would spend the whole game being an a-hole to the refs no matter what was happening. Even received apologies at one stage from other parents due to his behaviour. Pretty sure he ended up being banned permanently after I left.

Another idiot berated me because one of his players shoved a kid in midair, so I gave him an unsportsmanlike. Kid threw a hissy fit, tears started and the coach starts losing his s**t at me. No idea how he could have possibly thought I made the wrong call.

PP34 something tells me you don't like parents in junior sport.... ;)

FWIW you are right and the instances you references are far too common in junior sport.

It did remind me of a sporting anecdote for this thread which I had completely erased from my memory.

I put my hand up to help and do the scoring for our Under 16 representative cricket team one summer when I was about 19 or 20. After the game you'd ring the scores through to the newspaper with the top two run scorers and top two wicket takers for each team. One game I got the top two run scorers from our team wrong and gave them the #3 scorer.

At the next game the parent of the #2 scorer went ******* berserk at me. As soon as I arrived he spotted me and started yelling all sorts of abuse at me, threw a chair at the side of the grandstand, then came back and claimed I was trying to sabotage his kids future cricketing career and said he'd be going to the next committee meeting to demand competent scorers etc.

I'm pretty confident in myself but I was absolutely rattled. For his part the kid was super embarrassed and apologised (he was a good cricketer and an even better rugby player - played a bit of Super rugby in the end).... But he's old man was an absolute goose and I still hear various stories around the traps of him making a dickhead of himself (both back in the day stories and stories from the present).

Basketball would have to be the worst for it I reckon. At least with outdoor sports most parents are too cold to even contemplate yelling abuse. During my entire junior sporting years I can never remember a parent going psycho, not sure if others can but for whatever reason I think parents at sports are getting worse?

I umpired junior footy in highschool and the first game I umpired Rick Davies was coaching his son's primary school side the season after Sturt had sacked him, it was before the Crows so people gave a f*** about SANFL footy then. He didn't seem to have got the memo though and treated an under 10s game with the seriousness he took league footy which included yelling at me. His son's team was s**t, just like Sturt at the time, great player, couldn't coach to save himself though.​

I played a little A grade cricket which I took seriously enough to not smoke weed before I played but beyond that social sport should be fun. I don't get grown men losing their s**t over a Tuesday night friendly game.

If it works mid week it works weekend. There was your mistake.

Mine downstairs outside a hotel I was staying at this woman was going nuts at some dude swearing and throwing stuff. When I walked past and she elbowed me I said" Everything OK. Maybe you should cool down"

She responded by chucking a bowl of fried rice on my head. Minor but she was having a full on melt down.

Also at the footy a supporter calls for Baallll. Opposition supporter cheers the free going the other way. Original supporter responds by chasing down the respondent and whacking him from behind.

Can barely put up with sport on a saturday to even bother with social sport of a week night.

First game of indoor soccer was against a team of Italian/Greek butchers who stopped the game and made the indoor sports centre get rid of the teenage umpire with someone else.

I played one game after that and that was enough...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back