Rumour Ross Lyon - 2019 Carlton Senior Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton would be crazy. What currency does Ross Lyon have?

Bolton is getting some floggings on his watch but he is trying to play that Hawthorn style while putting his own slant on it. His plan seems to be getting guys to lead into space, quickly hitting them up, and always having an overlap. Aka entertaining, classic footy. This can cut through the current dross of the rolling pack but the issue is half the list is s**t and the good players still need to find that extra bit of time and skill on the ground.

The alternative is getting in a coach who will coach every ounce of flair, skill, individualism, and raw talent out of players and cut the careers of guys so some 'role player' can come in and play some ugly negating role forever. I have seen it before and it'll happen again with even more talent at Fremantle... 'building' a list by playing stop start, negative footy is a good way to build a list of b- players and to, at best, maybe make a Grand Final. He doesn't instil good culture, a good style, or get the best out of players.
At the end of the day one style leave us with a percentage of 60%, whereas the other style gives us a chance of winning.

Surely someone at Caaaaarlton still has half a brain, ?
Hmm let's see. Coach suspended, assistant coach drug charges, sports fitness team banned, players suspended and retired disgraced the AFL in the eyes of all sports.....the only reason you managed to get out of your predicament was because the AFL Board is controlled by Essendon sychophants.

Hmm let's see. Coach suspended, assistant coach drug charges, sports fitness team banned, players suspended and retired disgraced the AFL in the eyes of all sports.....the only reason you managed to get out of your predicament was because the AFL Board is controlled by Essendon sychophants.
It's better than being known as a CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARLTON supporter.
Don't forget, next time you reply to an Essendon poster remember to bring up 'THE SAGA' you will be in the draw for the ' YET ANOTHER NUFF NUFF DRUG REFERENCE AWARD'. Alternately we could put you in the draw for the ' I SAID IT FIRST AWARD '.
PS I'm a Bolton fan.

Surely someone at Caaaaarlton still has half a brain, ?

dunno what does it feel like having half a brain m8?

lol only joking - just trying to needle you M7 - just a friendly jab mate ....dont get prickly over it..

I'm EssenDONE now.:moustache:

Would Ross be the type of guy who would leave a club without notice for his own gain ???
Only if there was a possible clause in his contract he could exercise.

And by the way Ross, FF, there are plenty of better ways to get fit than by exercising a clause in your contract.

Carlton would be crazy. What currency does Ross Lyon have?

Bolton is getting some floggings on his watch but he is trying to play that Hawthorn style while putting his own slant on it. His plan seems to be getting guys to lead into space, quickly hitting them up, and always having an overlap. Aka entertaining, classic footy. This can cut through the current dross of the rolling pack but the issue is half the list is s**t and the good players still need to find that extra bit of time and skill on the ground.

The alternative is getting in a coach who will coach every ounce of flair, skill, individualism, and raw talent out of players and cut the careers of guys so some 'role player' can come in and play some ugly negating role forever. I have seen it before and it'll happen again with even more talent at Fremantle... 'building' a list by playing stop start, negative footy is a good way to build a list of b- players and to, at best, maybe make a Grand Final. He doesn't instil good culture, a good style, or get the best out of players.

On the money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At first i was outraged. Then i thought hang on freo have won 6 games in half a year, that more than the blues have in over 2 and ross has coached three all be it losing gfs again thats not great but still better than what the blues have produced in 20 years.

Welcome aboard ross

At first i was outraged. Then i thought hang on freo have won 6 games in half a year, that more than the blues have in over 2 and ross has coached three all be it losing gfs again thats not great but still better than what the blues have produced in 20 years.

Welcome aboard ross

In those grand finals you mentioned, its not like his teams were blown apart in all of them either.

Saints could have beaten the Pies that day and Freo had their chances to roll the Hawks but botched their kicking for goal.

The main problem with Ross is that his game style is boring and very ugly.

In those grand finals you mentioned, its not like his teams were blown apart in all of them either.

Saints could have beaten the Pies that day and Freo had their chances to roll the Hawks but botched their kicking for goal.

The main problem with Ross is that his game style is boring and very ugly.
This is accurate.

You can definitely make an argument that Ross' football is bad to watch. You can't make a logically sound argument that Ross can't coach or is not capable of winning a grand final. Unless of course you can prove that luck doesn't exist.

I find the people who bring up his "making 4 grand finals" as a defence of Ross strange. Making a grand final is the culmination of a whole seasons effort. Ross has coached teams to (make) 3 grand finals.

That said, guy can coach, maybe the game has moved on a bit from his particular coaching style, that will probably be debated forever while he's still coaching.

The main issue people seem to have with Ross is that his style of footy is low scoring and plain boring and ugly to watch. He's also not particularly personable, at least in the opportunities the public get to see him in action.

EDIT: editted to correct the number of grand finals...woops.

Last edited:
I find the people who bring up his "making 3 grand finals" as a defence of Ross strange. Making a grand final is the culmination of a whole seasons effort. Ross has coached teams to (make) 2 grand finals.

That said, guy can coach, maybe the game has moved on a bit from his particular coaching style, that will probably be debated forever while he's still coaching.

The main issue people seem to have with Ross is that his style of footy is low scoring and plain boring and ugly to watch. He's also not particularly personable, at least in the opportunities the public get to see him in action.

I was hoping that year for a Eagles v Dockers Grand Final. Would have been epic. The trolling by the winner would have been forever unbearable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back