afl canberra 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Can the Hawks somehow link with Vikings Group? Doesn't seem to be an obvious solution down there atm.
I heard a rumour that when they were in NEAFL they approached the Vikings about being a major sponsor. Vikings were onboard but only if hawks changed colours and naming to the Vikings. So they would pretty much lose all identity as Tuggeranong Hawks hence why they turned it down. They did have sponsorship from Tuggeranong Southern Cross club unsure whether they still do.

I heard a rumour that when they were in NEAFL they approached the Vikings about being a major sponsor. Vikings were onboard but only if hawks changed colours and naming to the Vikings. So they would pretty much lose all identity as Tuggeranong Hawks hence why they turned it down. They did have sponsorship from Tuggeranong Southern Cross club unsure whether they still do.

Fair enough. However given they were the cowboys (in the Adelaide jumpers) for a while and I believe the Bulldogs before that, there’s been some change and perhaps they let a golden opportunity slip?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Vikings group used to sponsor them and the southern cross club do now. I don't know what the fix is but with the amount of junior teams in the valley they should be able to be a bit more competitive.

Don't know if not having a clubhouse hurts (guess we will find out in the future with gungahlin) as that would add some atmosphere to the club. With the facilities they have they really are a 3rd/4th division club.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You would think that something would need to be done. I don't think folding would happen, there is no one else to fill the void but tuggeranong is definitely not a first or second grade side at the moment, and won't be for a few years.

They need to drop down a few grades and rebuild. They can't rebuild in its current state, no one wants to play and get spanked each week by 150-200 points.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Afl Canberra really do need to find a solution to the div 1 div 2 current position , the way it’s going it will soon be only four teams and you will play against the same club every second week ! Has there ever been any talk of of the Sydney comp and Canberra Comp coming together ?

Afl Canberra really do need to find a solution to the div 1 div 2 current position , the way it’s going it will soon be only four teams and you will play against the same club every second week ! Has there ever been any talk of of the Sydney comp and Canberra Comp coming together ?

Maybe push Woden up? Good numbers, solid in both grades consistently. Link them with Marist for Rising Stars. Playing at revamped Football Park anyway...

Community Footy here is really good, but the reality is there’s not enough talent here (regardless of resources) to have other than the top 4 in Div 1.

No one is closing the gap to them...a solution ‘to make others catch up’ will never work. They (big 4) have to become weaker for an even structure and that ain’t happening.

Maybe let the 4 go off and play monopoly, play each other 4-5 times, and the rest incl Tuggers and Jets form a more even competition.

Swans over Woden by 8 points , Woden threes didn’t go ahead due to unsafe ground . Start of last quarter bay lead coota by 50 . Full time cats beat Ainslie by 165 . Yass by 20 over the bay

Last edited:
I’m sorry but I’m going to show some frustration here. AFL Canberra is turning into a shambles. I’ve played the game for years now sit on the sidelines supporting the local comp and it’s getting worse and worse. They are seriously killing clubs by keeping them in comps that they shouldn’t be in. Maybe instead of worrying about throwing stones at teams who should be up a grade we should be supporting teams that want to go down a grade. Tuggeranong today, is a very sad day for the football club but also the comp. Belconnen and Eastlake are dying slowly in the 3s and without lower grade sides your higher sides struggle. I give my own opinion on this forum as everyone else does but what I’m supporting right now is the strength of AFL Canberra and it’s future. I really hope they do sort it out. As I’ve said before, forget about making comps even just make them competitive whether teams have to have a bye or not. My opinion, happy for others to disagree but I am worried about the future of afl Canberra right now.

Some one from Woden said they had 74 blokes this year, my concern is that you've lost 20 blokes from footy cause they aren't getting a run, is there a case for a 5th grade?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some one from Woden said they had 74 blokes this year, my concern is that you've lost 20 blokes from footy cause they aren't getting a run, is there a case for a 5th grade?

A few years back belconnen had 90 blokes who had turned up for training by the end of March. Bees dick away from nomming an extra fourth grade side, the logistics of moving players between teams was the only reason we didn't go ahead. We tried to move a few on to other clubs but they wanted to stay and a fair mob did. We had a roster system for fourth grade, everyone had to pick a week they would voluntarily sit out to make sure everyone got at least half a dozen games.

Woden has obviously got a pretty tops culture at the moment, the kind of place that blokes are willing to sit on the fringe of fourth grade rather than get guaranteed games at another club. I applaud that rather than try to force people to go to other clubs.

I don’t know about a 5 th grade Nov , there are some rumours that the regional grade could make a comeback , Personally hope this doesn’t happen ! but if that’s what it takes to even up the comp then so be it .

I don’t know about a 5 th grade Nov , there are some rumours that the regional grade could make a comeback , Personally hope this doesn’t happen ! but if that’s what it takes to even up the comp then so be it .

I agree a 5th grade would not be the answer and I don't think a regional grade would help either. Maybe we take 2 teams from Riverina or Wagga area put them into 1st grade.

Tuggeranong and Gunghalin are made to drop from 1's and 2's to 2's and 3's. They align match day with the teams from Riverina.

Their 3's teams align with a single team club Yass, Cats or Swans. Belconnen and Eastlake need to work out if they are going to persevere and maybe 1 fold and then everyone has their match day experiences and hopefully it fixes the competitiveness on weekends.

I agree a 5th grade would not be the answer and I don't think a regional grade would help either. Maybe we take 2 teams from Riverina or Wagga area put them into 1st grade.

Tuggeranong and Gunghalin are made to drop from 1's and 2's to 2's and 3's. They align match day with the teams from Riverina.

Their 3's teams align with a single team club Yass, Cats or Swans. Belconnen and Eastlake need to work out if they are going to persevere and maybe 1 fold and then everyone has their match day experiences and hopefully it fixes the competitiveness on weekends.

Would Riverina be strong enough in the act comp , or would they be more like the jets and hawks ? Practise matches for the big four I think different opposition same problem . I do like your thinking though mate

Would Riverina be strong enough in the act comp , or would they be more like the jets and hawks ? Practise matches for the big four I think different opposition same problem . I do like your thinking though mate

I think the top riv teams would be well above jets and hawks but not sure if they could quite match the professionalism of the big 4 but would at least test them

Wagga Tigers were in for a while however I think they struggled to attract the riverina’s best due to the old rivalries...reckon a riv team in actafl would need to be a combine side like they do with their chicks side. Great road trip though!

Also should the big 4 get out of district footy and leave that to smaller local clubs? Run an alignment thing for top ups but reckon best way to go would be

Canberra big 4
Riverina
Campbelltown
And a couple of the top Sydney clubs in a nsw act premier league type arrangement. That or the big 4 go to o&m like my old mate 3GM suggests

Wagga Tigers were in for a while however I think they struggled to attract the riverina’s best due to the old rivalries...reckon a riv team in actafl would need to be a combine side like they do with their chicks side. Great road trip though!

Also should the big 4 get out of district footy and leave that to smaller local clubs? Run an alignment thing for top ups but reckon best way to go would be

Canberra big 4
Riverina
Campbelltown
And a couple of the top Sydney clubs in a nsw act premier league type arrangement. That or the big 4 go to o&m like my old mate 3GM suggests

What's the thinking behind the big 4 getting out of district footy?

What's the thinking behind the big 4 getting out of district footy?

Just a thought that perhaps it makes clubs too big? Call it Victorian thinking as down here there’s obviously heaps more clubs (and players) however it’s only really the amateur clubs (think old school sides) that run more than 1s and 2s. Wonder if having the big 4 concentrate more on that might free up more blokes to play regional grades - and if there’s alignments in place then there’s your top ups when needed. As opposed to blokes that may not willingly step up from 3s to 2s internally...

Appreciate your ainslie perspective may differ and no worries there! Was a point for discussion which is what is happening.

For me (and this isn’t a crack at my former club) I felt that belconnen was too big and essentially was two different clubs between actafl and districts, albeit in the same jumpers. That being said I thoroughly enjoyed my years there and made some good mates who I am still in contact with

Just a thought that perhaps it makes clubs too big? Call it Victorian thinking as down here there’s obviously heaps more clubs (and players) however it’s only really the amateur clubs (think old school sides) that run more than 1s and 2s. Wonder if having the big 4 concentrate more on that might free up more blokes to play regional grades - and if there’s alignments in place then there’s your top ups when needed. As opposed to blokes that may not willingly step up from 3s to 2s internally...

Appreciate your ainslie perspective may differ and no worries there! Was a point for discussion which is what is happening.

For me (and this isn’t a crack at my former club) I felt that belconnen was too big and essentially was two different clubs between actafl and districts, albeit in the same jumpers. That being said I thoroughly enjoyed my years there and made some good mates who I am still in contact with

As much as it would be great to see a more even spread of player across all clubs I just do not think it would be viable. I for one after playing many years around the place think that players would struggle to move to a different club if they have played all of their juniors and seniors there until this point. Even if they are not 1's or 2's grade quality I think they would either stay around or stop playing all together.

The alignments in place at the present do not offer many benefits to either side at present. If a team is genuinely struggling for numbers (like the Hawks on the weekend) I doubt that the clubs in the lower grades would make their best players available to fill in as it would greatly affect them unless they have a bye.

If players are not wanting to make the step from 3's to 2's internally than separating the squads would make it worse and players would not be made available both ways.

I can see what you are saying, and I've certainly seen it in cricket where lower grades get clogged with players who refuse to step up. Not really an issue Ainslie has had, it's probably a little bit of the opposite where if you're good enough and committed enough, you end up sliding up the grades, never to be seen in the lower grades again, it's only occasionally blokes at the back end of their career, with kids etc, that sometimes choose to stick to lower grades when they could perhaps play up.

The counter argument is that because the community club "affiliations" with senior clubs are token at best, there are quite a few players running around at community clubs who would make the cut at reserves level at least, if not higher. Not that the community clubs want to lose those players, and fair enough, but there's an argument to say that the senior comp would be better with them involved.

You're right about the 2 clubs thing, it's very hard to integrate the 3s/4s and the seniors and it can often feel like a two clubs in one kind of deal, but from a lower grade perspective we're trying to give an opportunity for players to continue playing for Ainslie after juniors, even if they're not good enough or ready to play senior football.

I also can't see the Big 4 leaving the Canberra comp any time soon. They effectively did that with the NEAFL and have all come back into the fold again. One of the big drivers of that was the loss of feeling like a local club when your 1s essentially had no alignment with the 2s and Rising Stars. It wasn't good for the club environment and the community feel that is the driver for a lot of people to play sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back