Who has got to be the most underrated AFLW Player

Elastic Larry

Draftee
Jul 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
definitely Ellie Blackburn. I don’t get why some of the other stars get absolutely all the accolades wnen I’ve seen Ellie literally tackle, Bullock, finesse and drag the doggies over the line herself a few times. Any ideas why she’s on the ‘AFL publicity machine’ outer?.

One of the two most valuable players in my book currently, not just because she's good but also still very young. The MOST underrated is a stretch though. AA both years and done pretty well in the league voting. Club B&F winner and (vice-)captain, so obviously rated highly by the Bulldogs too. See her on tv from time to time, such as yesterday, covering the VFL. What makes you think she's on the publicity outer?

I think somebody like Kearney got a bit of overpraise this season based on quantity rather than quality of disposals, but that happens with the men as well. And anyway, she called Blackburn something to the effect of "the best player I've played with" in her speech at the 'W Awards'.

I've actually been working on a little something that I ideally envision as an improved model for rating women's footballers. Don't wanna give away much at this stage, but a couple players who have figured much better than I expected--to a degree that you might say they're "most underrated" candidates--would include Kate Hore from Melbourne and Marijana Rajcic from Adelaide.

Elastic Larry

Draftee
Jul 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
One of the two most valuable players in my book currently, not just because she's good but also still very young. The MOST underrated is a stretch though. AA both years and done pretty well in the league voting. Club B&F winner and (vice-)captain, so obviously rated highly by the Bulldogs too. See her on tv from time to time, such as yesterday, covering the VFL. What makes you think she's on the publicity outer?

I think somebody like Kearney got a bit of overpraise this season based on quantity rather than quality of disposals, but that happens with the men as well. And anyway, she called Blackburn something to the effect of "the best player I've played with" in her speech at the 'W Awards'.

I've actually been working on a little something that I ideally envision as an improved model for rating women's footballers. Don't wanna give away much at this stage, but a couple players who have figured much better than I expected--to a degree that you might say they're "most underrated" candidates--would include Kate Hore from Melbourne and Marijana Rajcic from Adelaide.

Fair point and well said Teen Wolf what Im really getting at is Ellie’s offensive pressure, disposal efficiency, bringing other team members into play and her general consistency I believe are not that highly ‘observed’ within the game time commentary as others. I was eluding to her not being recognized by the broadcasters as much, rather than that by the AFLW community in general. Probably an over exaggeration on my part to fire up some discussion and awareness. I agree with you on the other ‘candidates’ you mention too, Kate being a typical example of what I’m getting at. It would be great to see your rating model further down the track, as with the men’s competition I’m sure it would dish up a few surprises as this comp evolves along from its inception. We are now in a unique position to be able to monitor the rapid improvement and efficiency of each individual skill set and the fitness levels of these great athletes, being that the competition is still in its relative infancy. Your data would be very very interesting and invaluable I should imagine.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
definitely Ellie Blackburn. I don’t get why some of the other stars get absolutely all the accolades wnen I’ve seen Ellie literally tackle, Bullock, finesse and drag the doggies over the line herself a few times. Any ideas why she’s on the ‘AFL publicity machine’ outer?.

She's been named AA both seasons she's played thus far, commentators talk her up a fair bit too (rightly so; she's a terrier) - for mine she's not underrated.
I reckon Jenna Bruton flew under the radar a bit last year, she's a great pick-up for North.

SCRAY72

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2002
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don't think Blackburn is under rated. I think when the AFLW started players like Hope and Arnell were given more exposure but players like Phillips, Blackburn and Kearney went past them pretty quickly.
To the point where companies and media outlets should not be using Mo Hope for advertising anymore.

The pendulum swung back on Hope so far and fast that it could be argued she's one of the more underrated players at the moment. Having a profile as high as hers certainly doesn't equate to universal praise, and I doubt that's going away soon considering certain upcoming reality TV appearances (or does that signal the beginning of the end?).

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The pendulum swung back on Hope so far and fast that it could be argued she's one of the more underrated players at the moment. Having a profile as high as hers certainly doesn't equate to universal praise, and I doubt that's going away soon considering certain upcoming reality TV appearances (or does that signal the beginning of the end?).

Mo Hope quits survivor. Showed as much ticker as she has on the AFLW footy field when not beating up on inferior opposition and playing in a dominating side in local footy.

Mo Hope quits survivor. Showed as much ticker as she has on the AFLW footy field when not beating up on inferior opposition and playing in a dominating side in local footy.
Proving my point for me. What other player attracts such contempt?

Any player in any publicised sport who is hyped up and turns out to be bog average.

I think Jack Watts has coped far more than Hope ever has or will.
"Bog average" proves my point yet again. 4th in goals kicked across the first two seasons, that would be above average at the very least.

And for a while I believe Jack Watts was the most underrated player in the AFL. General consensus of the football world is always slow on the uptake. It's almost as if people form their opinion after a bad debut game and are either too stubborn or indifferent to modulate those views as a player's career progresses.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
"Bog average" proves my point yet again. 4th in goals kicked across the first two seasons, that would be above average at the very least.

For someone who was pumped up as a super star, elite talent and lauded for having a 100 goal season kicking 15 goals in two seasons isn't anything special.

Having watched plenty of the AFLW it's of my opinion Hope is just an average footballer.

Nothing like the advertised hype and talent that was presented to the public at the competitions inception.

For someone who was pumped up as a super star, elite talent and lauded for having a 100 goal season kicking 15 goals in two seasons isn't anything special.

Having watched plenty of the AFLW it's of my opinion Hope is just an average footballer.

Nothing like the advertised hype and talent that was presented to the public at the competitions inception.
Well you'd be in the majority with that view, from what I can tell. But I can't wait to hear which AFLW player you think is underrated!

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Tiana Ernst was honestly really underrated as a ruck. She's smaller than the average ruck and doesn't get as many hitouts but she's one of those players that is an extra mid at ground level along with being a decent user of the ball.

Kate Hore
On the weekend became the 5th player to 50 goals. A less analytical mind would be tempted to say I nailed this call.

But, in truth, quite a difficult player to judge over the journey. Certainly one of the most frustrating imo. Lucky to be AA in 2020, very unlucky to miss out in 2021. And somehow neither she nor Bodey made it last season.

Marijana Rajcic
On the other hand, despite getting slower and less reliable post-2019, is she underrated as the factor that dissuaded Chelsea Randall from returning home to play for West Coast?

On the weekend became the 5th player to 50 goals. A less analytical mind would be tempted to say I nailed this call.

But, in truth, quite a difficult player to judge over the journey. Certainly one of the most frustrating imo. Lucky to be AA in 2020, very unlucky to miss out in 2021. And somehow neither she nor Bodey made it last season.
Agree on Hore being frustrating. Does some brilliant things but fluffs some really simple stuff too. Her set shot kicking has been very ordinary this year.

Georgia Garnett
I would put her more in the Kate Hore category of half underrated, half hair-tear worthy.

Mia King.
If true, blame it on the AFLPA for not knowing what "Under 22" means.

But last season she got her deserved RS nomination (a media award, make no mistake) and picked up a top 5 club B&F finish. Now the opposition (Richmond, at least) put as much time into stopping her as they do for Alyce Parker (and failing on both counts) which has to say something.

Back