LinkedIn

Remove this Banner Ad

It's jobs section is pretty handy. Everything outside of that, total garbage.

yes i use it. i have received many offers for jobs and interviews through LinkedIn but never taken them up.
i've also gained a bit of business through it.
lately, i've noticed people posting political statements. this pisses me off no end as it's not what it was intended for.

I'm in training for Linkedin as we speak (paying close attention obviously), we're signing up for Sales Navigator. It's funny that they assume we use Linkedin for work purposes, the way I see it it's for my personal brand, not my employers.

And they always seem to think approaching a client with a Linkedin message is a great idea, I think it's probably the worst way to do it!

I sometimes receive cold calls from recruiters which can come in handy, otherwise I hate it.

It has become spammy and a lot in my industry need to build profile for commercial reasons, so there's this wanky "thought leader" theme to the news feed.

and the not so subtle brags about meaningless filler awards that are sponsored by the people receiving them.

it's a cesspit.

I'm seeing a lot of posts on Linkedin from people who do their day a year of community work, Ronald McDonald's house, the Sydney Food bank or whatever it is. I mean they're doing good of course, there's something about making sure your charity work is public that grates a bit with me, but it is Linkedin of course, the ultimate grandstanding platform.

I'm seeing a lot of posts on Linkedin from people who do their day a year of community work, Ronald McDonald's house, the Sydney Food bank or whatever it is. I mean they're doing good of course, there's something about making sure your charity work is public that grates a bit with me, but it is Linkedin of course, the ultimate grandstanding platform.

you forgot to mention promoting their employer who is paying them to do it.

Good for work opportunities but there's a lot of narcissism on there though which I suppose is common in the acedemic/business world. I get a bit over seeing monologues after someone completes a bachelor degree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good for work opportunities but there's a lot of narcissism on there though which I suppose is common in the acedemic/business world. I get a bit over seeing monologues after someone completes a bachelor degree.

After I did my MBA I deadset had a post written out with a pic of my degree, thanking employers and wife/kids etc. I just couldn't post it, felt it would have been disingenuous, I ******* hate that ha ha, delete!

you weren’t surprised and humbled to announce?

The exact reason I didn't make my post ha ha, w***ers like that. I mean I reshare posts from my company and the odd thing in the industry, it's to help my company more than anything of course. Social media is "look at me" by definition but it's even worse on LinkedIn, cringeful but essential to me as a sales guy.

I'm glad reading here and other forums like Reddit claiming it's become a wank. They inadvertently reset my profile, but I'm struggling to think of any value I got out of it over the journey.

Their tech support is a complete joke. Does anyone have any decent alternatives to LinkedIn?

I'm glad reading here and other forums like Reddit claiming it's become a wank. They inadvertently reset my profile, but I'm struggling to think of any value I got out of it over the journey.

Their tech support is a complete joke. Does anyone have any decent alternatives to LinkedIn?
Have to agree, LinkedIn is a waste of time these days.

I have people from one company who keep "viewing my profile". I know they're looking for someone and I nearly worked for them some years back. Might be overthinking things but you'd reckon they could reach out directly if they do want to hire me.

Or maybe they're just checking out my profile picture I guess.

Whenever I apply for a job, I always check to see if they've viewed the profile. I got quite a few people looking at it, but no contact from anyone.

Whenever I apply for a job, I always check to see if they've viewed the profile. I got quite a few people looking at it, but no contact from anyone.

My mates often screenshot pics of me from Linkedin and post in our Whatsapp group so they can all hang s**t on me. I reckon they'll have a field day on the weekend, I'm going to an International Women's Day lunch, there'll be plenty of material for them!

My mates often screenshot pics of me from Linkedin and post in our Whatsapp group so they can all hang s**t on me. I reckon they'll have a field day on the weekend, I'm going to an International Women's Day lunch, there'll be plenty of material for them!
I really hope i get involved in this stuff with my new job. I want to go to all these things

I really hope i get involved in this stuff with my new job. I want to go to all these things

I found it hard at the start, you just have to be "on" and be willing to talk to strangers. Once you get over that it's a piece of piss I reckon.

And as it happens a beer helps you network, I don't mean get sloshed but a beer or two does make it easier. There are a lot of pissheads in IT for this reason I reckon.

I found it hard at the start, you just have to be "on" and be willing to talk to strangers. Once you get over that it's a piece of piss I reckon.

And as it happens a beer helps you network, I don't mean get sloshed but a beer or two does make it easier. There are a lot of pissheads in IT for this reason I reckon.
Networking and talking to strangers is not my forte. I'm disgraceful at it but my new job requires it so it'll be interesting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back