Autopsy West Coast 100 def Discombobulated Dogs 46 - Rd 18, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

A very predictable loss, why Roughead and Trengove are playing is staggering both players that aren’t part of the future and just offer nothing offensively.

I haven’t liked what I’ve seen from Morris this year, I think it’s probably best for him to finish this year and at 35 he’s hardly being pushed to retirement. Wood, Naughton, Morris and Trengove are way too many poor offensive players to have in the same backline, the team desperately needs some more skill and speed.

I’m not sure what can be done with Hunter, I can’t think of a less damaging outside player in the comp. His possessions are just so worthless I feel like his only option is to play as a stay at home forward, but then again his goal kicking is also poor.

Schache just gets it as a forward which will be a huge weapon in the future. He physically needs to get stronger and makes some young player mistakes but he’s the missing link the club being trying to find for so many years in the tall forward department.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have a lot of deficiencies and I dwell in different ones every week but I keep coming back to the same thing. We seriously lack kicking power. So many times today we would tackle or harass WC but they would still manage to get the ball forward 40 metres and out in the open. Our players on the other hand would be lucky to get it further than 20 or straight up in the air. When Eagles back men hacked it out it went great distances. Our guys hack it across the body and it barely reaches head high.

Granted we have Bont, Suckling, Williams and Libba out as key penetrating kicks.
But today West Coast had 22 guys who could kick it 50. We had.......,??

Our ball winners are hackers and chippers who think handball first.
Ed and Roarke go for chip option, our backmen are not great playmakers with great kicks on them.

At the moment Lynch, Schache and JJ are it for penetration.

In time Ed will lengthen his kicking choice but they’re aren’t a lot of penetration. In this current team. Need those injured guns back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many years does boyd have on his contract? He either needs to cut down and work on his marking, positioning and off the line speed ala a b brown or j Kennedy or he is going to be an average player. He is not a ruck at all.... and we have English so why even try play him in the ruck?

Schache I am seeing the signs of a great player and he has the potential to be a seriously good player in the next 2 years.

West Coast hardly put any effort in. They played terrible and beat us by over 50. Once again we play too many players in the middle areas of the ground. One quick kick, or one burst from a pack and we are done - easy score for the opposition.

The embarrassing thing is, we played the second half defensive and hoping they wouldn't score. As a fan that sucks to watch.

No wonder we have the worst forward line in the league when we are playing defenders there. I don't mind Cordy playing there on occasions but that only works when the other forwards are "playing like forwards". Naughton, Adams, JJ will never work. Need to develop Boyd and Schache playing together, i'd rather go through the pain of that knowing they are developing rather than watching a nothing forward line that won't be playing together on the future.
We have wasted a year of their development together.

Again Wallis is a must keep and Schache's first half was again good.

What has happened to Caleb Daniel? Once a beautiful kick. Worrying when young players appear to go backwards.

Game was a snorefest. WC much cleaner and better overhead. We are smashed aerially most weeks. Underrated issue IMO.
Been there for years now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm beginning to think that if an AFL player now in his 5th season can't mark, then perhaps we won't see much improvement. His average marks per game has decreased slightly every year since 2014.

He just plods around and never runs towards the kicker or into space to be an option around the ground. The only marking contests he gets in are when he’s standing flat footed in a pack. Seems to have lost the energy he was showing earlier in the season.

Why can’t the forwards just hold their positions? You didn’t see Geelong forwards miles behind the ball when the game was there to be won last night.

I reckon we have been bombing it straight to Hurn and McGovern continuously for the last 6 years at least. Why do we keep doing it?
Don’t stop there, we do it every week. How many times did we kick it to Gawn last week? More than 10 by my count

Wallis - Done enough to earn another contract. Hard worker, gives a damn and can kick actually kick a goal.

Dunkley - Kicking was ordinary today, he’s never been a great kick but today was worse than usual. He’s a reasonable contested mark so I don’t know why he doesn’t play in the forwards line more

Dahlhaus - Love him and always have, been a warrior but am worried more and more that this is his last season with us.

Hunter - Reasonable game, got a lot of it, was composed most of the time.

Trengove - Cops a lot and some not without reason but thought he was ok today, he is a reasonable one on one defender but I worry every time he kicks it, has a shockingly awkward kicking action

Crozier - Was very worried about him at the start of the year but think he’s improved a bit.

Macrae - Always works hard, thank god we’ve got him.

Cordy - Aside from one of his usual dreadful left foot kicks I thought he was ok.

Schache - In a season with very few positives, his past month or so has been one of them.

McLean - Excellent season and one of our better players today.

Boyd - Feel like a broken record here but I just don’t see the point playing him in the ruck - and the ruck is one area we desperately need to work on in the off season, it’s been a disaster area for us ever since the AFL changed 3rd Man Up (again, go to ****ing hell you pricks) I just want Boyd playing in the forward line for structure more than anything - don’t know who it was that kicked to a one on one with Honeychurch one out at full forward - but it was face palm time and sums up a number of problems for us.

Richards - Love him but has looked a little tired or burnt out the past few weeks. As with Schache though, one of the positives in a s**t sandwich of a season. He is terrific and will only get better.

Honeychurch - I love the guy for his heart and courage and I dearly hope he is ok. You can never question his effort or courage, he is as courageous and committed as they come, but still, sadly, I just don’t think he is up to it.

Roughead - Is just about finished I think and it pains me to say it. Two very bad weeks in a row. A decent ruckman at the moment is one of our most pressing needs - all we have at the moment is Boyd, a forward playing out of position as main ruck, Roughie, a warrior but just about cooked, English who is talented but raw and needs to put on weight, and Campbell who can’t get a look in for whatever reason.

Adams - Didn’t think today was one of his better games but am just relieved he’s back and the backline looks so much better with him in it.

Gowers - Love him but today wasn’t one of his better games.

Daniel - I feel like he’s dropped off significantly from 2016 but today was much better, seems to be working much harder.

Lynch - Needs some more game time, the season is well shot and not long to go now so keep playing him, he’s done well so far.

Smith - Not convinced by him as yet, but again just keep playing him, he’s still only played 10 games

Morris - As usual, always committed and gutsy. Let’s hope he goes on for another year

Johannisen - Reasonable aside from that horrendous dropped mark in the last quarter

To be worked on in the off season:

- The ruck. If there’s an established out of favour ruck at another club, look to trade for him - within reason. I don’t know if say Kruezer at Carlton might want out to help with their rebuild, but whatever, I’m just sick of seeing us get smashed every single week in the ruck, it’s a huge issue and nothing is being done to address it. I also just don’t want to see Tom Boyd having to carry the load there, I want him played up forward and not being the sacrificial lamb every week against more established ruckmen. And again, I love Roughie as we all do but he is just about done.

- Skills, both by hand and foot. Been mostly terrible all year and today was just depressing.

- Structures. Two glaringly bad bits of play today, the first where we bomb it forward to an open forward line and ask poor old Roughie to win a foot race against 2 of their defenders. Face, meet palm.

The second? Bombing long to full forward to pint sized Mitch Honeychurch one out against one of their much larger defenders. Face, meet palm, again.

The major positive I’m drawing from the past few weeks against the Hawks, Melbourne and today West Coast is that each game brings us closer to the end of the season, it’s really hard to watch at the moment.

Not even close, imo. We were ******* awful then. I know we suck now, but that was a different level of suckage.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

We’re averaging fewer points per game than we did in 2012 (and much much fewer than in 2014).

We’ll certainly end up with a worse record and % than in 2014.

Might jag an extra win than in 2012, but % will be similar.

It’s close. Either way, we’re freakin awful.

We’re averaging fewer points per game than we did in 2012 (and much much fewer than in 2014).

We’ll certainly end up with a worse record and % than in 2014.

Might jag an extra win than in 2012, but % will be similar.

It’s close. Either way, we’re freakin awful.

I think its the fact we have a young and inexperienced team now, vs just a straight out sh*t one back then. May be worse on the stat sheet now, but least we have a reasonable excuse for why that is the case. Hence either argument is quite debatable

How sad to watch Roughy and know he’s absolutley cooked but yet know he played better than Boyd. God help us next year if they bring zoning in and our back line is forced to go one on one continually.

I'm not at all happy with a number of our 2016 Premiership players but I am very happy with one in particular.

Jack Macrae. Two years ago Jack Macrae didn't have a right foot. Today he does. Today he ran down the right wing and centered a ball I50 for Schache to mark and goal (I think he goaled). That "cross" was at right angles to his direction of running.

Lachie Hunter and Caleb Daniel. Two years ago Lachie didn't have a right foot and Caleb didn't have a left. They still don't.

Honestly we aren’t great this year but we’re missing Picken, Bont, Libba, Suckling, and Dickson, plus some others who have a claim to be in the 22. We’ve replaced these guys with blokes who have played stuff all footy.

In 2015/2016 everyone knew the game plan to a fault and executed it well every game. I don’t think it’s that the coaching stuff don’t know what they’re doing tactically. I just don’t think the troops can execute it and probably won’t be able to until they’ve played together some more.

We could have cut the margin a lot with few skill errors. That will come with continuity and players coming back in (at least to an extent).

It’s 2nd easily accounting for 14th in Perth. Sucks but not a black day.

Wallis - Done enough to earn another contract. Hard worker, gives a damn and can kick actually kick a goal.

Dunkley - Kicking was ordinary today, he’s never been a great kick but today was worse than usual. He’s a reasonable contested mark so I don’t know why he doesn’t play in the forwards line more

Dahlhaus - Love him and always have, been a warrior but am worried more and more that this is his last season with us.

Hunter - Reasonable game, got a lot of it, was composed most of the time.

Trengove - Cops a lot and some not without reason but thought he was ok today, he is a reasonable one on one defender but I worry every time he kicks it, has a shockingly awkward kicking action

Crozier - Was very worried about him at the start of the year but think he’s improved a bit.

Macrae - Always works hard, thank god we’ve got him.

Cordy - Aside from one of his usual dreadful left foot kicks I thought he was ok.

Schache - In a season with very few positives, his past month or so has been one of them.

McLean - Excellent season and one of our better players today.

Boyd - Feel like a broken record here but I just don’t see the point playing him in the ruck - and the ruck is one area we desperately need to work on in the off season, it’s been a disaster area for us ever since the AFL changed 3rd Man Up (again, go to ****ing hell you pricks) I just want Boyd playing in the forward line for structure more than anything - don’t know who it was that kicked to a one on one with Honeychurch one out at full forward - but it was face palm time and sums up a number of problems for us.

Richards - Love him but has looked a little tired or burnt out the past few weeks. As with Schache though, one of the positives in a s**t sandwich of a season. He is terrific and will only get better.

Honeychurch - I love the guy for his heart and courage and I dearly hope he is ok. You can never question his effort or courage, he is as courageous and committed as they come, but still, sadly, I just don’t think he is up to it.

Roughead - Is just about finished I think and it pains me to say it. Two very bad weeks in a row. A decent ruckman at the moment is one of our most pressing needs - all we have at the moment is Boyd, a forward playing out of position as main ruck, Roughie, a warrior but just about cooked, English who is talented but raw and needs to put on weight, and Campbell who can’t get a look in for whatever reason.

Adams - Didn’t think today was one of his better games but am just relieved he’s back and the backline looks so much better with him in it.

Gowers - Love him but today wasn’t one of his better games.

Daniel - I feel like he’s dropped off significantly from 2016 but today was much better, seems to be working much harder.

Lynch - Needs some more game time, the season is well shot and not long to go now so keep playing him, he’s done well so far.

Smith - Not convinced by him as yet, but again just keep playing him, he’s still only played 10 games

Morris - As usual, always committed and gutsy. Let’s hope he goes on for another year

Johannisen - Reasonable aside from that horrendous dropped mark in the last quarter

To be worked on in the off season:

- The ruck. If there’s an established out of favour ruck at another club, look to trade for him - within reason. I don’t know if say Kruezer at Carlton might want out to help with their rebuild, but whatever, I’m just sick of seeing us get smashed every single week in the ruck, it’s a huge issue and nothing is being done to address it. I also just don’t want to see Tom Boyd having to carry the load there, I want him played up forward and not being the sacrificial lamb every week against more established ruckmen. And again, I love Roughie as we all do but he is just about done.

- Skills, both by hand and foot. Been mostly terrible all year and today was just depressing.

- Structures. Two glaringly bad bits of play today, the first where we bomb it forward to an open forward line and ask poor old Roughie to win a foot race against 2 of their defenders. Face, meet palm.

The second? Bombing long to full forward to pint sized Mitch Honeychurch one out against one of their much larger defenders. Face, meet palm, again.

The major positive I’m drawing from the past few weeks against the Hawks, Melbourne and today West Coast is that each game brings us closer to the end of the season, it’s really hard to watch at the moment.

Boyd simply can't play fwd unless he can mark. He just can't. Worrying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back