Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

3 brews for this week planned. I have the DSLR setup for filming so expect a couple of grain to glass videos coming out over the next month or so.

Tomorrow - grains are all cracked and equipment has been cleaned for the imperial stout. 1.080 target, M42 yeast from mangrove jacks is supposed to be a cracker for high gravity beers.

Friday - Saison. Pale malt, wheat and cara-pils and then chinook and willamette for aroma/flavour. 1.050 target. Using the french saison yeast from mangrove jacks, see how it compares to the belle saison and lower gravity compared to my previous saisons.

Saturday - Session common ale. Pale malt, cara-pils and then magnum for bittering. Chinook, motueka and willamette hops with US-05 yeast. 1.045 target.

3 brews for this week planned. I have the DSLR setup for filming so expect a couple of grain to glass videos coming out over the next month or so.

Tomorrow - grains are all cracked and equipment has been cleaned for the imperial stout. 1.080 target, M42 yeast from mangrove jacks is supposed to be a cracker for high gravity beers.

Friday - Saison. Pale malt, wheat and cara-pils and then chinook and willamette for aroma/flavour. 1.050 target. Using the french saison yeast from mangrove jacks, see how it compares to the belle saison and lower gravity compared to my previous saisons.

Saturday - Session common ale. Pale malt, cara-pils and then magnum for bittering. Chinook, motueka and willamette hops with US-05 yeast. 1.045 target.
Interested in how the session ale comes out with that hop combo! Keep us informed

Ok guys, I was looking through this thread for some of my past brew recipes and saw that my first brew day was 363 days ago

30+ brews in under 12 months, no way I would have thought I would be so invested in it 12 months later, DanWCE FKASC etc, all you experienced brewers, your help is always appreciated, this hobby has been more than worth while.

Also need to give a plug to Gemma and Chad at BeverageHQ for all the advice and support so far

Ok guys, I was looking through this thread for some of my past brew recipes and saw that my first brew day was 363 days ago

30+ brews in under 12 months, no way I would have thought I would be so invested in it 12 months later, DanWCE FKASC etc, all you experienced brewers, your help is always appreciated, this hobby has been more than worth while.

Also need to give a plug to Gemma and Chad at BeverageHQ for all the advice and support so far
Mate, 30 brews is more than I’ve done since I started, so you’re the experienced brewer now! It’s been cool seeing what you’ve got on the go and lessons learned!

Churning them out mate, love it!

Stout is done, increased the volume so I could drop the ABV down a little. 1.056 SG so with the M42 yeast 1.010-1.012 is expected. 1 longneck will be over 3 std which has been dangerous in the past :p

Tomorrows saison might be dropped down to a 1.040 brew, seems the yeast strain is another exceptionally high attenuating strain.

Also, Saturdays brew has been moved to Sunday, forgot about the beer fest on Friday night, might need a morning off.

Stout is done, increased the volume so I could drop the ABV down a little. 1.056 SG so with the M42 yeast 1.010-1.012 is expected. 1 longneck will be over 3 std which has been dangerous in the past :p

Tomorrows saison might be dropped down to a 1.040 brew, seems the yeast strain is another exceptionally high attenuating strain.

Also, Saturdays brew has been moved to Sunday, forgot about the beer fest on Friday night, might need a morning off.

Saison style is typically higher ABV, particularly with the addition of Belgian candi. Just be wary of it thinning out too much if you start with a low OG.

Saison style is typically higher ABV, particularly with the addition of Belgian candi. Just be wary of it thinning out too much if you start with a low OG.
I feel you on this one, the saison yeast could ferment concrete. This is a tricky one to brew.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the Tired Hands Saison and the Grisette from Monk a couple of weeks ago that I thought was exceptional. 3.7% ABV with saison yeast would likely have the OG in the 1.030 range. Even at 1.040 I would be looking at a 4.6-5% beer, the only beer I didn't get below 1.005 with the belle saison was iirc a 1.070 beast that still managed 1.008 by the time I bottled it.

The recipes I'm looking at a pretty consistent with pale malt and wheat but I was thinking of throwing in some oats and definitely thinking of mashing closer to 70c than 62c to maybe get more body.

From Tired Hands

SaisonHands:
Our Four-Grain Saison. 4.8% Batch #21. Brewed with rye, oats, wheat and Cascade hops. This is our most accurate interpretation of traditional Saison.
-Notes of lemon zest, pear, barnyard, hay, guava, chardonnay, and earth.

Temp adjusted gravity on the stout ended up being 1.060, a little bigger than I wanted but I mashed quite high, I think the body will be able to match the alcohol content.

Saison -
About to mash in, I think this beer could turn out quite nice, will be fun to see how fast it attenuates compared to the M42.

upload_2018-8-17_9-34-14.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bottling up the grapefruit IPA yesterday, very overpowering out of the fermenter, will need a good amount of time in the bottle but this has been pretty consistent with the other kit beers I've had.

I saved half of the batch and I combined that with 4L of the sour I had been saving in the demijohn, no idea how that will turn out but will leave until tomorrow. Woke up this morning and it already had pellicles forming on the top.

Bottling up the grapefruit IPA yesterday, very overpowering out of the fermenter, will need a good amount of time in the bottle but this has been pretty consistent with the other kit beers I've had.

I saved half of the batch and I combined that with 4L of the sour I had been saving in the demijohn, no idea how that will turn out but will leave until tomorrow. Woke up this morning and it already had pellicles forming on the top.
It’ll possibly be just as sour as the 4L of sour. Not sure though.

Weird how the neipa gets darker further down the glass. It’s like a glass of juice where the ice has melted at the top

It’ll possibly be just as sour as the 4L of sour. Not sure though.

Weird how the neipa gets darker further down the glass. It’s like a glass of juice where the ice has melted at the top
I think it was more the lighting, this is a shot with an LED globe directly behind it.

IMG_0391.jpg

Have been powering through these kolsches I made a few weeks ago.

Attempted Furphy clone but it’s miles better. I heartily recommend the Wyeast Kolsch strain and mashing low for dryness to counterbalance the fruity yeast.

Going to keep that base recipe but change the hops. Should be a good way of demonstrating different hop characters without it being too over the top hoppy

Love to hear you have a style you like.

This NEIPA has changed my mind on doing a common ale, I have all of these hops in stock and a whole bunch of grains, I'm thinking of dropping the ABV and doing a 4-4.5% high gravity milkshake IPA. Fortnight, motueka and mosaic for the hops to keep it as tropical as possible.

Malt - straight mix of pale 2-row and up to 30% oats and then double the lactose compared to last time. Hops I would get rid of the citra, a little too dank. I might save it for a double IPA for my September brews.

Love to hear you have a style you like.

This NEIPA has changed my mind on doing a common ale, I have all of these hops in stock and a whole bunch of grains, I'm thinking of dropping the ABV and doing a 4-4.5% high gravity milkshake IPA. Fortnight, motueka and mosaic for the hops to keep it as tropical as possible.

Malt - straight mix of pale 2-row and up to 30% oats and then double the lactose compared to last time. Hops I would get rid of the citra, a little too dank. I might save it for a double IPA for my September brews.
Would be interested in seeing how your DIPA goes. I haven’t tried an IPA stronger than about 6.5 I don’t think

Would be interested in seeing how your DIPA goes. I haven’t tried an IPA stronger than about 6.5 I don’t think

Cheers, I'm acutally more interested in how to get full flavour and mouthfeel out of low ABV beers but big beers without fermentation temp controls and a lack of 02 is still facinating to me from a few perspectives.

Based on how fast the M42 Mangrove Jacks yeast has ripped through the 1.060 stout I don't think an 8-9% hop bomb one off brew will be too difficult.

Back