2018 MLB Season

Remove this Banner Ad

A guy pays $500 to participate in a "pack break" - an unopened pack of 1955 Bowman baseball cards was opened at the National Sports Collectors Convention last week. He stuck gold - his card turned out to be a mint condition Mickey Mantle, one of only 8 graded mint by PSA, the #1 sports collectibles authenticating company. As soon as the pack was opened and his card revealed, he had an offer for $50,000 for the card, which he turned down.

The pack that was opened was a "cello pack", ie wrapped in clear cellophane so you could see the cards that were on the top and the bottom of the pack. No gum in those. Gum was only in "wax packs", with the cards wrapped in wax paper that didn't show any of the cards inside.

get.jpeg

Acuna hit a leadoff HR in both of todays games against the Marlins. Just the 4th player to do so. Now hit a HR in 4 games in a row. Kid is hitting his straps ad showing why he was so hyped as a prospect

And again right now against the Marlins. You can't make this stuff up.

Pretty piss weak by the Marlins to plunk Acuna with the first pitch today. I understand plunking a player who is a showboat or has been mouthing off but not because someone has been hitting HRs for fun off your pitchers.

Pretty deliberate act by Urena and then to stare him down, weak piece of s**t.

Last edited:
Punk act from Urena and then he has the balls to shadow Acuna whilst staring him down. Absolutely weak to do that to a 20 year old that happens to be having a great year. There are calls for him to be suspended for a long time (The Washington Post says the rest of the year) and I 100% agree.

In the long run Acuna will be fine and the Braves will be fine. Urena’s reputation won’t be though.

deGrom would be scratching his head at the offence the Mets have shown in the last 24 hours, 16 runs yesterday against Baltimore, and 22 so far against the Phillies! :eek:

Such a good win yesterday against the Red Sox, immediately nullified by whatever this outing is supposed to be. First of a doubleheader, so I guess they wanted to save their relievers after it became a blowout, but getting position players in Roman Quinn and Scott Kingery to pitch was embarrassing. Kingery was basically just lobbing it to home plate.

Differential was at +31 before this game. They'd want to put out a good showing for Game 2, or this might be the day that sinks their playoff hopes.

Punk act from Urena and then he has the balls to shadow Acuna whilst staring him down. Absolutely weak to do that to a 20 year old that happens to be having a great year. There are calls for him to be suspended for a long time (The Washington Post says the rest of the year) and I 100% agree.

In the long run Acuna will be fine and the Braves will be fine. Urena’s reputation won’t be though.

Got 6 games which for a starter is one game suspension really. Pretty piss weak. Did like Freeman calling Urena weak and bad mouthing him when talking to the reporters

I think we play them again in about a week, be interesting to see if he pitches and who we plonk (but not sure we will as they all agree it was Urena and not a marlins directive)

Such a good win yesterday against the Red Sox, immediately nullified by whatever this outing is supposed to be. First of a doubleheader, so I guess they wanted to save their relievers after it became a blowout, but getting position players in Roman Quinn and Scott Kingery to pitch was embarrassing. Kingery was basically just lobbing it to home plate.

Differential was at +31 before this game. They'd want to put out a good showing for Game 2, or this might be the day that sinks their playoff hopes.

Amazed by the amount of position players pitching including players who have no idea on how to pitch. I understand saving bullpen arms but its getting ridiculous.

Got 6 games which for a starter is one game suspension really. Pretty piss weak. Did like Freeman calling Urena weak and bad mouthing him when talking to the reporters

I think we play them again in about a week, be interesting to see if he pitches and who we plonk (but not sure we will as they all agree it was Urena and not a marlins directive)

It’s a pathetic suspension that deters no one from doing the same thing in the future. I like how Mattingly basically threw Urena under the bus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We, we, we, we, we. Didn't know there were so many professional Major League Baseball players in here lol, well done peoples.

We, we, we, we, we. Didn't know there were so many professional Major League Baseball players in here lol, well done peoples.

Stop being pedantic. You’ve mentioned this so many times.

Definition of stakeholder
: a person entrusted with the stakes of bettors
: one that has a stake in an enterprise
: one who is involved in or affected by a course of action

stakeholding
play \ˈstāk-ˌhōl-diŋ\ noun

That's the Merriam-Webster definition. I would point you to the third part.

The reason professional sport exists is to provide a competitive outlet and emotional vehicle for populations. Fans and supporters ride the emotions of victories and losses, inserting themselves into the teams they follow vicariously. Without that support, those professional sports teams would have no reason to exist. How many teams have fallen by the wayside over the years due to lack of support, both financial and populational? That support is what drives incomes, for both players and leagues alike. Without it, without the vested interest of supporters, those players and teams don't have anything they represent.

Why are the Yankees the richest sports franchise on the planet? Because they have millions of supporters, around the world, who invest their time and money directly and indirectly. I pay my money, even though I very rarely get to attend their games, so that I can wear my hat and jersey. I spend my time watching games, via TV or website, so that I can take the rollercoaster ride with all the other Yankee fans around. And that is the critical part. Being part of a supporter base helps satisfy the innate human requirement for social acceptance. Teams get bigger and richer because the social base that supports them swells, seeking to join a recognisable social coterie. No supporter base = no team.

Hence the correct term of the use 'we'. It is all the individuals that make up the 'we' that allow a sports club to exist.

All that Yankees talk in here from a month or so ago has sure died down.

The Nationals have placed Harper and Murphy on waivers. Interesting to see if someone gives up high end prospects for a month of Harper.

Cubs win 1-0 at PNC Park. Second day in a row same score. Pirates hit into 7 double plays. Yes, 7!

4th time in history a team has won back to back 1-0 games with the winning run in both games coming off a home run. One was in the opening 2 games of the year when the Giants beat the Dodgers 1-0 both games off a Joe Panik home run in each game.

The Nationals have placed Harper and Murphy on waivers. Interesting to see if someone gives up high end prospects for a month of Harper.

4th time in history a team has won back to back 1-0 games with the winning run in both games coming off a home run. One was in the opening 2 games of the year when the Giants beat the Dodgers 1-0 both games off a Joe Panik home run in each game.
Don't read to much into players put onto waivers (think they might have to be, not suee). Basically all players are put on there and then taken back if they are claimed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Don't read to much into players put onto waivers (think they might have to be, not suee). Basically all players are put on there and then taken back if they are claimed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I can’t realistically see anything coming of it. Interesting last 10 days to see who will be claimed, though.

Definition of stakeholder
: a person entrusted with the stakes of bettors
: one that has a stake in an enterprise
: one who is involved in or affected by a course of action

stakeholding
play \ˈstāk-ˌhōl-diŋ\ noun

That's the Merriam-Webster definition. I would point you to the third part.

The reason professional sport exists is to provide a competitive outlet and emotional vehicle for populations. Fans and supporters ride the emotions of victories and losses, inserting themselves into the teams they follow vicariously. Without that support, those professional sports teams would have no reason to exist. How many teams have fallen by the wayside over the years due to lack of support, both financial and populational? That support is what drives incomes, for both players and leagues alike. Without it, without the vested interest of supporters, those players and teams don't have anything they represent.

Why are the Yankees the richest sports franchise on the planet? Because they have millions of supporters, around the world, who invest their time and money directly and indirectly. I pay my money, even though I very rarely get to attend their games, so that I can wear my hat and jersey. I spend my time watching games, via TV or website, so that I can take the rollercoaster ride with all the other Yankee fans around. And that is the critical part. Being part of a supporter base helps satisfy the innate human requirement for social acceptance. Teams get bigger and richer because the social base that supports them swells, seeking to join a recognisable social coterie. No supporter base = no team.

Hence the correct term of the use 'we'. It is all the individuals that make up the 'we' that allow a sports club to exist.

Don’t pick on the professional AFL player.

We should've been further ahead at half time though.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...mond-mcg-7-25pm.1191960/page-38#post-55331135

Remove this Banner Ad

Back