List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

That's all well and good, but what about $$$?

GWS would struggle to up his 800k contract, Carlton and St Kilda would be able to pay well north of that especially if they didn't have to give up anything but cap space.

I think we need to progress to a point where we have enough NSW and QLD players coming through that you can fill 60-70% of a side and greatly reduce go home factor, as the power is moving towards the players.

Before you make more of a fool of yourself, understand the current salary cap rules.

There arent any. We can sign Dylan Shiel on a contract that is 300k, 300k, 400k, 700k, 900k, 1.4m, 1.5m, 200k. When we get to a salary-cap crisis, we can then "stretch" those big backloaded payments.

This is exactly what Sydney did with Buddy, and it's legal.

Was at the game yesterday. Word is Shiel is on the move. Not sure who and not sure whether the club will trade him.

Was at the game yesterday. Word is Shiel is on the move. Not sure who and not sure whether the club will trade him.
It is always disappointing to hear news like that and would want to hear his reason - hoping it isnt true, but if so we need to prepare. I think out of the big 3 OOC mids next year (Kelly, Cogs, Shiel) Shiel would probably be the one whose absence would be least hurtful for the team. Whilst he has burst speed and can be damaging when he is on, his kicking is wild at the best of times. Normally an ineffective disposer of the footy but gains some good metres with his long bombs. Opens up a spot for setterfield in the midfield if he is ready to rumble next year. If Shiel leaves we need to extract overs for him since it would be breaking a contract - number 1 pick if Carlton (doubt he would want to go there given their rebuild) or 2 2018 1st rd picks from other teams.

That being said, if we do lose Shiel, we must certainly prioritize resigning Cogs and Kelly asap. Losing either one at the end of 2019 if Shiel departs this year would be devastating.

Tomlinson's been out the door every year.

Obviously he hits a revolving door, does a 180 and comes straight back through. 'Eh, what, I'm still at GWS … thought I was going to Hawks/Carlton/Saints/...'

Perhaps if he plays until he's 36 he'll be rumoured to leave GWS for every single other club in the AFL. Now that would be something on your post-AFL resume!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I come in peace.

I haven't been pleased with the timing of these trade rumors - GWS are about to embark on their finals campaign and the last thing the club, players and fans need is rumors to disrupt morale.

Not sure why Carlton fans think they're a shoe in for Shiel, he'd have to be insane to leave your club to join that rabble. If he really did want to come back to VIC, there are many more appealing options.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Shiel wanted to leave, I always thought he was enjoying his time up in NSW

Good luck in the finals campaign, you've got my support.

GWS lose Shiel + 23, get 8 + 10
Port Adelaide lose 10, get Francis + 23
Essendon lose 8 + Francis, get Shiel

Feel like it overprices Francis but still contracted and reportedly now happy at Essendon. However, Essendon will need to give up more than 8 if they want to acquire Shiel given we want to keep him and have the power to do so. Francis showed what he is capable of over the weekend. Port could develop an intercepting defender around guys like Jonas, Clurey, Howard, Hombsch, Pittard, DBJ, Broadbent and Hartlett. Laverde also out of contract, perhaps he gets included too.

GWS lose Shiel + 23, get 8 + 10
Port Adelaide lose 10, get Francis + 23
Essendon lose 8 + Francis, get Shiel

Feel like it overprices Francis but still contracted and reportedly now happy at Essendon. However, Essendon will need to give up more than 8 if they want to acquire Shiel given we want to keep him and have the power to do so. Francis showed what he is capable of over the weekend. Port could develop an intercepting defender around guys like Jonas, Clurey, Howard, Hombsch, Pittard, DBJ, Broadbent and Hartlett. Laverde also out of contract, perhaps he gets included too.
Based on history, we actually would want Dylan to go to Carlton if he wants to leave, which is his right, our club doesn't own him forever. With their priority pick, Carlton will give us something close to pick 1, Essendon will give less. Let's be realistic, we got a poor deal for Devon Smith last year, and if Francis is now happy in Melbourne then Essendon aren't going to let him go.

Based on history, we actually would want Dylan to go to Carlton if he wants to leave, which is his right, our club doesn't own him forever. With their priority pick, Carlton will give us something close to pick 1, Essendon will give less. Let's be realistic, we got a poor deal for Devon Smith last year, and if Francis is now happy in Melbourne then Essendon aren't going to let him go.
I think the Devon deal was about right tbh

Someone like Shiel would be great in our midfield alongside Tom & Jaeger but I do worry about those shoulders. Not sure how we get a deal done as I feel he is worth 2 first rounders, our first rounders this year and next are likely to be in the 13-16 mark. This is short of what GWS would want.

Perhaps Hawks throw in Ceglar with a 2nd round pick coming back.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Someone like Shiel would be great in our midfield alongside Tom & Jaeger but I do worry about those shoulders. Not sure how we get a deal done as I feel he is worth 2 first rounders, our first rounders this year and next are likely to be in the 13-16 mark. This is short of what GWS would want.

Perhaps Hawks throw in Ceglar with a 2nd round pick coming back.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think Shiel will be traded but anything can happen during trade week but I think you would need a top 5 pick for Shiel and then something going back depending on negotiations
I can see the club running with Lobb, Simpson and Flynn as rucks next year and then Briggs to develop in the reserves so can't see the club looking at Ceglar

Nothing concrete.
Rumours around not enough time in the middle. Disappointed with lack of success this season. Thought we would have done better. Losing faith. All hearsay so don’t take it as granted.
Spoke to few more buddies...

Word is Shiel is out the door to Essendon, will be wearing number 9 next season.

Club want to get something for him this year (two picks) verses compensation crap pick next year.

Also free up some cap space.

disappointing...

Spoke to few more buddies...

Word is Shiel is out the door to Essendon, will be wearing number 9 next season.

Club want to get something for him this year (two picks) verses compensation crap pick next year.

Also free up some cap space.

disappointing...
s**t.

What do Bombers have pickwise?

Hows this effecting our other stars such as Jezza and Greene?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
would have thought both essendon 2018 and 2019 firsts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back