2018 All Australian Squad Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Compare the pair. Both midfielders. One in the squad, one not...

View attachment 550184

Cotchin v Coniglio

The problem with measuring quantity over quality is you end up choosing the guy who gets, say, an extra 5 meaningless touches at half back, and ignoring the guy who cracks in like a man possessed.

Throw a ball loose for your life to depend on it and I pick Cotchin to pop Shiel’s shoulder, whoops I mean Coniglio.

I now understand why Joel Selwood was selected every year and in hindsight I now agree.

Don’t think Cotchin will make the final team however, because he didn’t play out the whole season.

Squad looks pretty right to me. Can make a superb 22 out of that lot.

Sorry, I mean LOL wot this is ridikuluz wherz <guy from my team>?

Easiest spots to pick to me are:

Gawn first ruck
Grundy first I/C (ruck 1B)
Dusty HFF
Laird Back pocket
LLoyd HBF

I think every squad should start with that.

How'd he go on the weekend?

He plays a game like that every 3-5 weeks.
Hahah. So basically your saying he plays a down game about 5 times a year? How many players never have a down game?

That still leaves 17 good games. And considering players have made it playing on 17 all up, I'm not sure what the issue is if he played 17 good games and 5 not so good ones.

Jordan de Goey just doesn’t make sense. If he’d played 20 games I’d sort of get it, but he played 17. That’s almost a quarter of the season missed

It's a weird choice. I feel like the increased media around him over the past couple of months has elevated his profile therefore people are paying more attention to his footy/ability to break open games. But he's not a Top 40 player.

Coniglio and Stratton the unlucky ones; Cotchin a head-scratcher but expected.

My team from the 40 selected

FB Lloyd Rance Laird

HB Hurn McGovern Whitfield

C Gaff McRae Ward

HF Bruest Franklin Martin

FF Smith Reiwoldt Gunston

Ruck- Gawn

R/Rover - Dangerfield

Rover - Mitchell

Interchange

Grundy
Oliver
Beams
Cripps

In the weekly voting you have given McGovern 1 vote in the first 8 rounds. There are 16 WCE players you had given more votes to at that point of the season. Has McGovern been that good since round 8 to move from 17th best WCE player to top 22 in the league?

In Cyril's AA years he kicked 39, 42 and 47 goals, nice try though but naaaa.

How about Cyril’s squad years? Involvements probably favour Edwards I suspect, as he plays more midfield.

I don’t think Edwards will make the final team, but I support the idea of rewarding high efficiency players.

I remember I used to wonder why Brett Deledio or Joel Bowden would miss out on the team despite having the best stats, but now I see it.

Richmond, as a team, has very average stats and yet they’re the best team.

Cunnington is a beast. Would be our 3rd best mid behind Martin & Cotchin easily.
Might be a beast but Lambert is comfortably ahead of him, plus if we could pick just one, Cunnington or Edwards in the mid, even though they play different roles I would take Edwards any day . So in effect Cunners would probably be our 5th best mid, 6th if Prestia could stay fit.

The issue I have with the Blicavs inclusion is that he hasn't been in that key defensive post for the entire season.

I'd like to see Stratton's record against opponents his opponents. He kept Jack Darling goalless when he was at the absolute peak of his powers early in the year. I feel like the only player who'd have a better 1v1 win rate than him is Grimes who was a very deserving inclusion.

As a WCE supporter, Daring should have made the squad over McGovern. I know he missed a heap of games and I would never expect him to make the team, but he as good as anyone in the first half of the season, and has been pretty solid after coming back from injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue I have with the Blicavs inclusion is that he hasn't been in that key defensive post for the entire season.

I'd like to see Stratton's record against opponents his opponents. He kept Jack Darling goalless when he was at the absolute peak of his powers early in the year. I feel like the only player who'd have a better 1v1 win rate than him is Grimes who was a very deserving inclusion.

Edit: Perhaps Neville Jetta also.

Close enough. He moved there in Round 4. So 3 games not as a defender.

Cotchin's had better years without making it.

As of last month, the general consensus on Richmond boards was that Cotchin’s 2018 is better than his Brownlow year.

He dropped off massively in the last month, but don’t make the mistake of thinking his stats from 2015 or 2016 meant he was better then than in 2018.

People really do pay too much attention to disposal quantity.

How about Cyril’s squad years? Involvements probably favour Edwards I suspect, as he plays more midfield.

I don’t think Edwards will make the final team, but I support the idea of rewarding high efficiency players.

I remember I used to wonder why Brett Deledio or Joel Bowden would miss out on the team despite having the best stats, but now I see it.

Has made the team every year he's been in the squad, always had injury troubles in other years.

No idea when Cyril made the squad and not the team, he did have 7.4 and 6.3 score involvements in his team years(stat not recorded in 2012) as well as over 40 goals of his own, Edwards has 6.4.
Its a poor example to compare Edwards and Rioli.

As of last month, the general consensus on Richmond boards was that Cotchin’s 2018 is better than his Brownlow year.

He dropped off massively in the last month, but don’t make the mistake of thinking his stats from 2015 or 2016 meant he was better then than in 2018.

People really do pay too much attention to disposal quantity.

He was in the discussion for AA up to the Sydney game where he got a knock on the knee. Fair enough if he finishes high in the b&f I guess, but he's won two b&f's without making the squad.

Maybe Conligio should worry about kicking goals from 20m straight in front and less about Paul Dyabla celebrations and he might make an AA squad haha.
What a wayneKerr

Remove this Banner Ad

Back