List Mgmt. Welcome Luke Dahlhaus as free agent (CONFIRMED & OFFICIAL 5 Oct)

Luke Dahlhaus . Do you want him at Geelong?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a pretty inane comparison mate. The question with Kelly, like anyone who gets drafted, is whether or not the ability that allowed them to succeed at one level will translate to the next, higher one. Dalhaus is already playing at that higher level, and has done for eight seasons; what he's produced so far is a pretty good guide to what he'll produce at Geelong. He is a decent player and the arguments about him improving our bottom 6 are valid, but he's only exceeded the 20 goal mark once in 8 seasons. Put it another way, if he maintains his career average for goals a game (0.7) and plays 22 games next year he'll have kicked 15.4 goals - Brandon Parfitt kicked 15 from 18 this year and Sam Menegola 22 from 22. That's nothing to sneeze at it but he's clearly not the small forward savior people are painting him as.

tl'dr, we're recruiting a decent HFF when what we need is a good small forward.

See this where we see a different picture.
You look at how many goals kicked by a small forward.
I see a part time high half forward and midfielder who tackles and applies pressure all over the park.
Couldn't give a rats arse on his goal kicking statistics... Give me his tackling and pressure acts that he displays all day every day. Thats what i want from a high HF / Midfielder... You obviously are pre occupied by how many goals he gives the team directly. I see things totally differently and see what he does with and without the ball which has more impact on our forward 50 and midfield.
Glad the recruiters see beyond just goals per game.
Cheers & GO CATTERS!!!

Highly unconvinced that this is the right move.

I really hope this and the Menzel situation aren't linked, because if we're replacing Menz with Dahlhaus that's a massive downgrade at a time the point we're starting from with our forward line is already not good enough. Even if one were to accept the highly dubious premise that swapping Menzel for Dahlhaus is a lateral move, it's still not acceptable given that we need to be adding to what we already have, not breaking even.

I really hope this and the Menzel situation aren't linked, because if we're replacing Menz with Dahlhaus that's a massive downgrade at a time the point we're starting from with our forward line is already not good enough. Even if one were to accept the highly dubious premise that swapping Menzel for Dahlhaus is a lateral move, it's still not acceptable given that we need to be adding to what we already have, not breaking even.

Not the case and cant work out why people would think that??
Menz is a marking deep forward maybe half forward and thats about it... No pressure No tackling. There are no other positions he can play.
Dahl can play a small forward and trough the midfield that can apply pressure and tackle at a higher rate than most.
Totally different attributes they both bring.
For what its worth I think if Menz moves on. We will set up totally differently up forward with Hawk, SavRat & Henry having a bigger role and having high hopes for Cocky, Linc, Miers, FOG & JJ.
Cheers!

Menzel should be replaced with Ablett or Henry if we continue to play him there.

Dahlhaus will just fill one of the small forward spots so we dont need to recruit any more useless small forwards/under sized mids.

And we have no need for more midfielders.

Maybe not next year but what about 2020? Kelly and Ablett are every chance of not being there, Selwood is another year older (32), Scooter - who knows, he looks cooked and Scott clearly likes having the option of playing Dangerfield forward for extended periods. Come 2020, we may very well need mids to help with the transition. Who knows if Fogarty, Narkle, Parfitt etc will develop into quality mids. We know Dahlhaus can play effectively in that position. I fully expect Dahl to be almost a full time mid in 2020, that's if he comes of course.

The irony being that Menzel is only on 200 thousand and a one year contract where Dahlhaus is being offered 2 million over 4 years. Why don’t they just give Menzel 2 years like he wants and deserves.

The irony being that Menzel is only on 200 thousand and a one year contract where Dahlhaus is being offered 2 million over 4 years. Why don’t they just give Menzel 2 years like he wants and deserves.
Probably because one more acl and its career over. And we get stuck paying him for the rest of his contract. Pretty obvious i would have thought.

Josh caddy disagrees with this. As does parfait and Narkle and mènegola, constable and Horlin Smith.

Hehe. You ASSUME Caddy Parfitt Narkle or Menegola Constable think that.
As for GHS... your taking the piss yes?? RIGHT??? LOL.
I notice you stayed silent on the Gaff scenario. That told me more than enough.
Cheers & GO CATTERS!!!

And we offered Dan a 2-year deal during the first half of last year which he didn't take because he was wanting to push for a longer term deal & more money. Since then we have seen Dan dealing with soreness on a regular basis & a 10 week groin injury this year.

If he gets a 2-year deal from the Saints I'm betting that the second year would be on a games trigger clause & not just a straight out 2-year deal.

Dan can stay at Geelong & continue to back himself in to earn a new contract each year

Well we always have Crameri if Menzel does goes, that’s a decent stopgap for a year untill we either develop a player or draft another in the following draft.

As for Dahlhouse well if fit he improves the bottom 6 easily and allows Miers and others to keep developing at their own pace. Could also work very well next year with a hopefully fit Cocky.

Not the worse trade pick up if it’s true

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 years at > $500K a year is VERY GENEROUS.
We will be offloading players to make that happen. Not many retirements

It's not too generous, The salary cap will be just under $12.8 million next year. That last collective bargaining agreement really drove up the salary cap.

Not sure if he is the player we need next year , but in the next few years we're going to need more players who can run through the middle.

Even better that he won't cost us a draft pick.

It's not too generous, The salary cap will be just under $12.8 million next year. That last collective bargaining agreement really drove up the salary cap.

Not sure if he is the player we need next year , but in the next few years we're going to need more players who can run through the middle.

Even better that he won't cost us a draft pick.
Been meaning to ask but why do you have GWS as your team?

Maybe not next year but what about 2020? Kelly and Ablett are every chance of not being there, Selwood is another year older (32), Scooter - who knows, he looks cooked and Scott clearly likes having the option of playing Dangerfield forward for extended periods. Come 2020, we may very well need mids to help with the transition. Who knows if Fogarty, Narkle, Parfitt etc will develop into quality mids. We know Dahlhaus can play effectively in that position. I fully expect Dahl to be almost a full time mid in 2020, that's if he comes of course.

Didn't see the game on the weekend then if you think Scooter is cooked.

I like it. Quality player when fit and firing, and is perfect for the defensive forward type role that we really lack. We don't need him to kick goals, we already have plenty of guys who can do that. We need his pressure. If he gets 15-20 goals for the year, consistent with his career average, I think that would be fine.

For comparison, over at Richmond Castagna has kicked 26 goals from 20 games, but none of their other "gun" small forwards - Rioli, Butler, Townsend, Lloyd, Higgins - have gotten to 20 goals for the year. Most of their goals have come from their marking targets Riewoldt & Caddy, and our equivalents there are Hawkins & Menzel. Danger, Menegola and others can also provide that for us. Not Dahlhaus.

I like it. Quality player when fit and firing, and is perfect for the defensive forward type role that we really lack. We don't need him to kick goals, we already have plenty of guys who can do that. We need his pressure. If he gets 15-20 goals for the year, consistent with his career average, I think that would be fine.
For comparison, over at Richmond Castagna has kicked 26 goals from 20 games, but none of their other "gun" small forwards - Rioli, Butler, Townsend, Lloyd, Higgins - have gotten to 20 goals for the year. Most of their goals have come from their marking targets Riewoldt & Caddy, and our equivalents there are Hawkins & Menzel. Danger, Menegola and others can also provide that for us. Not Dahlhaus.

Spot On.

Absolute gun in the pressure stakes and a premiership hero for us.

Obviously has short comings and knocks on his game. His field kicking is ordinary and has struggled in recent times with consistency.

If he is going to play forward, be prepared for frustration. He works so hard to get into the right positions but just cant kick for goal from a set shot. It's infuriating.

But he's hard at it, has very quick hands, and loves to tackle.

He has been down on form since 2016 but so have many of our players so maybe a fresh start may revitalize his career.

Been meaning to ask but why do you have GWS as your team?

Selecting a team in your profile doesn't mean that you support it especially as it can be changed at will. We have a problem of trolls who use it as a cover. Had their profile had a Hawthorn under it they'd have been banned ages ago.

In my mind GWS is the most inoffensive team.

Didn't see the game on the weekend then if you think Scooter is cooked.

I didn't see the game, no. So you're saying one really good game in Geelong in a 100-point win against one of the worst teams in the AFL means he is flying and isn't cooked? He hasn't had a great year and his body is letting him down badly. Lets see how he goes on the wide expanses of the MCG against a good side in the finals. Lets also see how well he can contribute next season in most games? I don't make assessments of players based on one game, particularly against opposition that resemble witches hats, but that's just me.

Back