Mitch McGovern (please read OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mid 1st round is 11 or 12
Sorry, missed that it was a mid first round.

I’m sure most Crows posters would still consider that unders for a KPF with 2 years left on his contract that the Blues are offering a salary far enough above his current salary ($500-600k) that he would want to break it to shift clubs (so would probably be in the $700-800k range).

The hard part is figuring out what the AFL priority pick will be (it’s the AFL, so who knows what it will be).

Could he have got a front loaded contract and thought, yeah I can play a year on that, hopefully get a flag and then I can always ask for a trade and renegotiate a new contract elsewhere

lets say he's on 550K but turned down offers of 650k
his pay was structured 650k, 500k, 500k.
He takes 650k and now moves on to those other offers that remain there at 650k meaning he hets an extra 100k per year over the 3 years.
It would be interesting to see how clubs deal with that given that we have only agreed to pay him an avg of 550k so have effectively overpaid him 100k. I doubt the club would then let him on his merry way. I assume that is how clubs end up paying their players salaries at other clubs- due to underpaying them for the first portion of their contract?

Any chance Gold Coast might be interested? With Lynch leaving they should have plenty of salary cap space, and potentially the need for a tall forward (I'm not sure how well they're currently stocked in terms of being able to replace Lynch from within). Assuming they get pick 3 as compensation for Lynch, perhaps McGovern + 13 for pick 2 (with maybe a later pick or pick swap thrown in) might interest them?

Pick 2 (2517) for pick 13 (1212) would value McGovern at 1305 which is the equivalent of around pick 11-12. Perhaps a bit over, but not that far beyond the realms of possibility given his contracted status. Possibly throw in 37, or swap 19 for 26 or 28. But it obviously hinges on whether they're even interested in the first place.

It would be interesting to see how clubs deal with that given that we have only agreed to pay him an avg of 550k so have effectively overpaid him 100k. I doubt the club would then let him on his merry way. I assume that is how clubs end up paying their players salaries at other clubs- due to underpaying them for the first portion of their contract?
That can be

Ablett was in this position where GC front ended his contract so wanted Geelong to compensate that either with higher trade value or trading them a player but still paying a portion of their wage.

I believe there was suggestion this was the case with Gibbs also and part of why SOS was so stubborn -esp since Reid negotiated that contract so would have been well aware that Gibbs could get a pay rise without over paying him (or get him cheap without him taking a pay cut)

AFL should introduce a mechanism that makes it easy to account for these things but they wont as it'd disadvantage the players who want to manipulate it

So basically we can control where he goes right, I mean why should a contracted player get to choose??? Seriously contracts mean jack s**t now. I admire the loyal players like Sloane, Lynch, Martin, Boak and Gray.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
They all got paid.

This time will test us,
The fans I speak….
Short time to heal us,
Off season will peak….

Rebuilding too early?
Hahaha we are wise,
This time will test us,
Just wait for the surprise…

One is leaving,
Maybe there is more….
Trust in our system,
Together crow's soar….

So basically we can control where he goes right, I mean why should a contracted player get to choose??? Seriously contracts mean jack s**t now. I admire the loyal players like Sloane, Lynch, Martin, Boak and Gray.

Well we can't control where he goes in the sense of forcing him to go wherever we choose. But we're under no obligation to do a deal with anybody if that deal doesn't favour us, so we can veto a trade to his desired club if they won't pay the price we want and he doesn't have the threat of the preseason draft to fall back on. I don't know if he's officially nominated a preferred destination (all this Carlton talk is still just rumour assumption at this point).

Well we can't control where he goes in the sense of forcing him to go wherever we choose. But we're under no obligation to do a deal with anybody if that deal doesn't favour us, so we can veto a trade to his desired club if they won't pay the price we want and he doesn't have the threat of the preseason draft to fall back on. I don't know if he's officially nominated a preferred destination (all this Carlton talk is still just rumour assumption at this point).
Here's hoping he picks Carlton, I mean think about it who would be in his way in their forward line (or do they even have one?) But would carlton give up pick 1 for him?

Damn sure I saw a diabolical off field performance from our administration and a complete lack of accountability to go with it. A fish rots from the head down.

Elite standards my ******* ass.

Certain players agenda was satisfied and they still managed to play themselves out of Finals.

Don't recall seeing FO in uniform.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's hoping he picks Carlton, I mean think about it who would be in his way in their forward line (or do they even have one?) But would carlton give up pick 1 for him?

I would be happy if he picks Freo.

Any club other than Carlton we must walk away in the top five of the draft and keep the picks we have now.

If Carlton. Pick one even if it takes trading a pick or two we hold now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oh, it was a decade six years ago... i'd say from about 2002, with a blip in the middle where they made finals four times

https://afltables.com/afl/teams/carlton/season.html
I don't mean to pot Carlton here, but wow! It must be awful being a Carlton supporter. Think of how disappointing this 12 win season has been for Adelaide on field, Carlton have only had 2 out of the past 16 years where they have won at least 12 games.

I love how you guys can beat us by 100 points less than a week ago and still not be able to stand toe to toe in a trade thread.

You country town clubs are good for a laugh. I look forward to seeing what Pike has in store for this upcoming preseason.
Your debating skills are about as good as your team's footy skills.
Thanks for Lukosious by the way

Notice you haven't really come close to a flag since the league clamped down on brown paper bags ??

The delusion that you think you're worth a lot to the AFL is amusing
To be fair, the AFL has really struggled to make ends meet this last decade when Carlton have been struggling. It’s not like there’s been record tv deals, record crowds, record memberships, record wages for players and administrators, expansion teams added, games played overseas etc. I, for one, would struggle to muster any interest in watching Friday night football if I wasn’t assured of at least 6-8 Blues games every year. It’s what all footy fans want, and don’t at all complain bitterly about when it happens.

Put simply, the AFL are desperate to keep those 15,000 Blues fans that showed up to the last game of the season happy. They need them. They are the lifeblood of the competition.

I know the thread title says no trolling, so apologies. But really. Good lord.

As for Gov. I don’t mind precisely what we get, so long as all our picks are bundled, on-traded etc. for any players we think we need - if that’s Luko, Rankine or someone else, I don’t care. Our drafting etc. has been pretty damn good the last decade. Just hope they get the job done again.

To be fair, the AFL has really struggled to make ends meet this last decade when Carlton have been struggling. It’s not like there’s been record tv deals, record crowds, record memberships, record wages for players and administrators, expansion teams added, games played overseas etc. I, for one, would struggle to muster any interest in watching Friday night football if I wasn’t assured of at least 6-8 Blues games every year. It’s what all footy fans want, and don’t at all complain bitterly about when it happens.

Put simply, the AFL are desperate to keep those 15,000 Blues fans that showed up to the last game of the season happy. They need them. They are the lifeblood of the competition.

I know the thread title says no trolling, so apologies. But really. Good lord.
15000? More like 10,000. There were a tonne of Crows fans there.

If we want to be petty we can end Mcgovern's career we either get a top 5 pick or he sits in the SANFL for 2 years. I don't understand why we always have to be the nice guys and accept unders just so a player can get a big pay rise? If we did that not one player would request a trade in contract ever again.

Hawthorn would do it.... because they're ruthless we're softer than a liquid filled chocolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back