Scott Morrison - How Long? (Part 1 - Continued in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
E Shed was debating whether Morrison was as dangerous as Dutton:

These is a selection of things written by a women called, "Corrina Elaine, who spent nearly 40 years ensconced in the Pentecostal Christian faith, questions whether Scott Morrison will be able to lead Australia forward when his church believes the end of the world is nearly here." (Independent Australia 11/9/18)

"TALKING IN TONGUES, hand-clapping and arm-waving are common sights on a Sunday morning at a Pentecostal Church and there’s no harm in that.

By now, most Australians have heard that our brand-new Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, is a Pentecostal Christian but, as to what that actually means it remains a bit unclear.

I’m not a Pentecostal research academic. I was, for close to 40 years, a Pentecostal. Born into it in the early 1970s, stayed in it during the '80s and '90s (my teens and university years), married in it (a Pentecostal wedding service to my Pentecostal husband) and had my children in the early 2000s.

A common perception of Pentecostals is that they are a friendly, accepting lot, with smiles and the love of Jesus for everyone." "I can tell you, from my insider stand-point, all is not what it seems.

I’m not, for even one minute, saying that any Pentecostal from any denomination (there are a few varieties to try out) is not a loving, kind person but, this must be said, what you see – the hand-raising, funny talking, funky music – is all bit of a benign distraction. It’s the "white noise" effect.

May I be clear here, too, this article relates to Pentecostal churches (of which Horizon is one) that make up the Australian Christian Churches (ACC) — and there’s a swag of them – close to 1,000 churches – that come under the banner.

Members of the ACC are hardcore adherents of Pentecostal doctrine — a doctrine that differs from that of many other "mainstream" Christian churches (denominations like the Anglicans or Catholics, even the Baptists are seen as mainstream) and it goes a little something like this.

They believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible/scriptures including:

- an actual devil — it's in the Bible, so it’s true, as is Adam and Eve, the great flood, homosexuality being an abomination and sex before marriage
being a sin, to name just a few;
- the divinity of Jesus and his ability to take them to Heaven;
- that to be a (genuine) Christian one must accept him into their life/heart as their "personal saviour";
- that they have to then die to all their own earthly desires, at which stage they become … "born-again";
- a Pentecostal Christian is an evangelical, evangelistic, born-again follower of Christ (Jesus);
- everyone who doesn’t accept Christ will go to Hell – forever, eternity, no exceptions, you can’t just not exist — its either Heaven or Hell; and
- anyone can talk to God and he can talk back (via ideas, or the Bible, through other people).

Pentecostals are really into the Holy Spirit (the third person in the mystical trinity), who came to Earth and manifested himself at Pentecost, right after Jesus’ death, resurrection and return to Heaven. In the gospels, it's recorded that he filled the believers (with himself), that tongues of fire appeared on their heads and he gave out "gifts". Pentecostals believe He is still here, still doing this.

"Prophecy" is when God speaks to a person/s via someone else. There are pretty strict rules about how this is to be done and it cannot contradict any scripture, but it's not too hard to imagine someone approaching the PM with a “word from the Lord” (yes, this sort of thing does happen) telling him that God thinks he’s a top bloke and that he should carry on with what he’s doing. Or, perhaps, that the end is nigh and he had better fulfil his Christian obligations. This really could happen.

A strong unwavering belief in "end times" doctrine. Pentecostals believe that Jesus died to forgive all your sins, then rose again (thereby defeating death and the devil) and is going to return and take all the Christians to heaven with him, leaving everyone else on Earth to be punished. This is referred to as the "rapture" and when I was taught about it, it nearly scared the "hell" out of me.

As an example (one that was shared with me when I was pretty young), this is a scenario of what could potentially happen. A non-Christian (or "wicked" person as the Bible describes them) might be driving along one day, just minding their own business and then blam! a really loud trumpet will sound and then bam! they’ll probably get run into by a driverless car, which, only seconds before had a driver but that driver has been "raptured" and Jesus (with no regard for the safety of other road-users) has taken this faithful Christian to heaven and left all the non-Christians behind.

After 1,000 years, Jesus returns to Earth, with all the good Christians. They get to be rulers over anyone’s offspring, who have somehow managed to survive after 1,000 years of excruciating punishment from the devil. But hear this, when they all return, Jesus creates a "new" Earth. This could go part-way into why a Pentecostal may not be too concerned with say, global warming, or even exploiting the Earth’s resources. What does it matter?

Many, many Pentecostal Christians believe that we are all living in the "end times" now. That Jesus’ return is imminent. If that’s the case, then why concern themselves with petty issues like non-coal-fired power options, protection of the Great Barrier Reef from on-going destruction, or even about a few hundred people incarcerated in inhumane conditions on an island somewhere?

This may be the most important question to be answered by our self-professed Pentecostal Prime Minister: Mr Morrison if you are a genuine believer, where does that leave the rest of us?" (Independent Australia 11/9/18)

The last paragraph of Corrina Elaine's article, "This may be the most important question to be answered by our self-professed Pentecostal Prime Minister: Mr Morrison if you are a genuine believer, where does that leave the rest of us?" is something we all need to ponder.

For me, his man Scott Morrison is an evil, dangerous, supremacist who has NO regard for anyone in Australia and the rest of the world unless they are "born-again".

ScoMo channels Paul Keating: The Drought we had to have

PM defends tweet suggesting drought is 'necessary evil' to cut bottom 10pc of farmers

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...-tweet-saying-drought-necessary-evil/10238488

dead-set nutter, and his contempt for the voters is even more bewildering considering his rise to the top job. Refusing to answer simple questions about "why we need a new leader" won't do him any good on election day.

listening to farmers isn't going to do any good to the cattle that are starving or the farmers drowning in debt, politicians do a lot of listening in this country, but not much else.

E Shed was debating whether Morrison was as dangerous as Dutton:

These is a selection of things written by a women called, "Corrina Elaine, who spent nearly 40 years ensconced in the Pentecostal Christian faith, questions whether Scott Morrison will be able to lead Australia forward when his church believes the end of the world is nearly here." (Independent Australia 11/9/18)

"TALKING IN TONGUES, hand-clapping and arm-waving are common sights on a Sunday morning at a Pentecostal Church and there’s no harm in that.

By now, most Australians have heard that our brand-new Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, is a Pentecostal Christian but, as to what that actually means it remains a bit unclear.

I’m not a Pentecostal research academic. I was, for close to 40 years, a Pentecostal. Born into it in the early 1970s, stayed in it during the '80s and '90s (my teens and university years), married in it (a Pentecostal wedding service to my Pentecostal husband) and had my children in the early 2000s.

A common perception of Pentecostals is that they are a friendly, accepting lot, with smiles and the love of Jesus for everyone." "I can tell you, from my insider stand-point, all is not what it seems.

I’m not, for even one minute, saying that any Pentecostal from any denomination (there are a few varieties to try out) is not a loving, kind person but, this must be said, what you see – the hand-raising, funny talking, funky music – is all bit of a benign distraction. It’s the "white noise" effect.

May I be clear here, too, this article relates to Pentecostal churches (of which Horizon is one) that make up the Australian Christian Churches (ACC) — and there’s a swag of them – close to 1,000 churches – that come under the banner.

Members of the ACC are hardcore adherents of Pentecostal doctrine — a doctrine that differs from that of many other "mainstream" Christian churches (denominations like the Anglicans or Catholics, even the Baptists are seen as mainstream) and it goes a little something like this.

They believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible/scriptures including:

- an actual devil — it's in the Bible, so it’s true, as is Adam and Eve, the great flood, homosexuality being an abomination and sex before marriage
being a sin, to name just a few;
- the divinity of Jesus and his ability to take them to Heaven;
- that to be a (genuine) Christian one must accept him into their life/heart as their "personal saviour";
- that they have to then die to all their own earthly desires, at which stage they become … "born-again";
- a Pentecostal Christian is an evangelical, evangelistic, born-again follower of Christ (Jesus);
- everyone who doesn’t accept Christ will go to Hell – forever, eternity, no exceptions, you can’t just not exist — its either Heaven or Hell; and
- anyone can talk to God and he can talk back (via ideas, or the Bible, through other people).

Pentecostals are really into the Holy Spirit (the third person in the mystical trinity), who came to Earth and manifested himself at Pentecost, right after Jesus’ death, resurrection and return to Heaven. In the gospels, it's recorded that he filled the believers (with himself), that tongues of fire appeared on their heads and he gave out "gifts". Pentecostals believe He is still here, still doing this.

"Prophecy" is when God speaks to a person/s via someone else. There are pretty strict rules about how this is to be done and it cannot contradict any scripture, but it's not too hard to imagine someone approaching the PM with a “word from the Lord” (yes, this sort of thing does happen) telling him that God thinks he’s a top bloke and that he should carry on with what he’s doing. Or, perhaps, that the end is nigh and he had better fulfil his Christian obligations. This really could happen.

A strong unwavering belief in "end times" doctrine. Pentecostals believe that Jesus died to forgive all your sins, then rose again (thereby defeating death and the devil) and is going to return and take all the Christians to heaven with him, leaving everyone else on Earth to be punished. This is referred to as the "rapture" and when I was taught about it, it nearly scared the "hell" out of me.

As an example (one that was shared with me when I was pretty young), this is a scenario of what could potentially happen. A non-Christian (or "wicked" person as the Bible describes them) might be driving along one day, just minding their own business and then blam! a really loud trumpet will sound and then bam! they’ll probably get run into by a driverless car, which, only seconds before had a driver but that driver has been "raptured" and Jesus (with no regard for the safety of other road-users) has taken this faithful Christian to heaven and left all the non-Christians behind.

After 1,000 years, Jesus returns to Earth, with all the good Christians. They get to be rulers over anyone’s offspring, who have somehow managed to survive after 1,000 years of excruciating punishment from the devil. But hear this, when they all return, Jesus creates a "new" Earth. This could go part-way into why a Pentecostal may not be too concerned with say, global warming, or even exploiting the Earth’s resources. What does it matter?

Many, many Pentecostal Christians believe that we are all living in the "end times" now. That Jesus’ return is imminent. If that’s the case, then why concern themselves with petty issues like non-coal-fired power options, protection of the Great Barrier Reef from on-going destruction, or even about a few hundred people incarcerated in inhumane conditions on an island somewhere?

This may be the most important question to be answered by our self-professed Pentecostal Prime Minister: Mr Morrison if you are a genuine believer, where does that leave the rest of us?" (Independent Australia 11/9/18)

The last paragraph of Corrina Elaine's article, "This may be the most important question to be answered by our self-professed Pentecostal Prime Minister: Mr Morrison if you are a genuine believer, where does that leave the rest of us?" is something we all need to ponder.

For me, his man Scott Morrison is an evil, dangerous, supremacist who has NO regard for anyone in Australia and the rest of the world unless they are "born-again".
Why is everyone making a massive deal out of the beliefs of evangelical Christians? They really aren't all that different to the beliefs of other denominations and are considered part of the Christian mainstream by the other denominations. The only real differences I've seen in my experience (both in previously attending different churches and having friends that attend a bunch of different churches/denominations) is that the evangelical churches:

1 - Preach the prosperity gospel i.e. that God rewards the faith of true believers with rewards in this life and not just the "next life",
2 - Focus on "gifts of the spirit", which includes speaking in tongues and laying on of hands (which to be fair is spreading into churches in other denominations anyway), and
3 - Generally had more upbeat and appealing music (even though it wasn't to my personal taste)

Every Christian of every denomination (and every other faith too, but that's another conversation) could be plotted on a spectrum between Literal - where every word in the Bible is literally true - and Liberal - where the Bible is considered a man-made book of guidance not recording of history, even going as far as saying Jesus didn't exist but is instead an allegory for God. I'm sure that in every church in Australia you would find people that share the beliefs in that article.

Each denomination (and indeed each individual church) could also be plotted on that spectrum, but within each one would be a wide range of opinion and for a lot of people, they wouldn't agree with the denomination's official standpoint on everything. I knew an Officer in the Salvation Army (equivalent of a pastor) who was involved in developing and amending the Salvos official statements of doctrine who was very honest about how some of the eventual statements didn't match up with his own personal belief.

I just think this obsession with Morrison's faith is a distraction. What we should be focusing on is his actual beliefs about key issues that really matter, based on things he has actually said and done in the past and his voting patterns. There is more than enough there to realise he's not cut out for the Prime Ministership, rather than wasting time on dissecting what he possibly believes based on the church he goes to.

I just think this obsession with Morrison's faith is a distraction. What we should be focusing on is his actual beliefs about key issues that really matter, based on things he has actually said and done in the past and his voting patterns. There is more than enough there to realise he's not cut out for the Prime Ministership, rather than wasting time on dissecting what he possibly believes based on the church he goes to.
Hasn't he already made it clear his faith will impact on the decisions he makes? (we have seen this already with the drought)

That being the case, his religious beliefs are most worthy of immaculate (pun intended) scrutiny

Hasn't he already made it clear his faith will impact on the decisions he makes? (we have seen this already with the drought)

That being the case, his religious beliefs are most worthy of immaculate (pun intended) scrutiny
On the up side he seems to be very big on freedom of religion, so hopefully that means his party becomes more protective of those of other religions like Muslims and the Dalai Lama.

And Zeusians and Spaghettians....I hear both are very worthy religions

"At the end of the day, if you’re not free to believe in your own faith, well, you’re not free."

So it's whatever you believe in that counts.

It's just the part where Morrison is talking religious freedom because some bigots want to not serve gays, while Bernadi is campaigning to ban the burqa. It seems like it's religious freedom for some but not all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attacking his religion is moronic on many levels but mainly because its so trivial and mindless that it will get ordinary voters feeling sorry for him just like what happened with Howard. There is also so much ammo against Morrison and that party atm that to target religion only serves to steal oxygen from the real issues that should be focussed on.

Attacking his religion is moronic on many levels but mainly because its so trivial and mindless that it will get ordinary voters feeling sorry for him just like what happened with Howard. There is also so much ammo against Morrison and that party atm that to target religion only serves to steal oxygen from the real issues that should be focussed on.
There is some value in attacking his statements of belief, just as many are attacking Serena for her ' I'm a mother ' statement. Its the hypocrisy many are attacking not his belief. Remember he brought religion into it the first place

And on cue Morrison ' I'm a father of 2 daughters' yeah and?

It looks like the LNP have finally come up with a policy, and that policy is that 'strong' is a good word and if they use it a lot then people with think they are good too

That word didn't work for Turnbull in his I have a dream speech. "I am a strong leader".

Just need to keep pointing out what he stands for, his voting patterns and his speeches, the lack of Christian empathy and the hypocrisy will be evident

Why is everyone making a massive deal out of the beliefs of evangelical Christians? They really aren't all that different to the beliefs of other denominations and are considered part of the Christian mainstream by the other denominations. The only real differences I've seen in my experience (both in previously attending different churches and having friends that attend a bunch of different churches/denominations) is that the evangelical churches:

1 - Preach the prosperity gospel i.e. that God rewards the faith of true believers with rewards in this life and not just the "next life",
2 - Focus on "gifts of the spirit", which includes speaking in tongues and laying on of hands (which to be fair is spreading into churches in other denominations anyway), and
3 - Generally had more upbeat and appealing music (even though it wasn't to my personal taste)

Every Christian of every denomination (and every other faith too, but that's another conversation) could be plotted on a spectrum between Literal - where every word in the Bible is literally true - and Liberal - where the Bible is considered a man-made book of guidance not recording of history, even going as far as saying Jesus didn't exist but is instead an allegory for God. I'm sure that in every church in Australia you would find people that share the beliefs in that article.

Each denomination (and indeed each individual church) could also be plotted on that spectrum, but within each one would be a wide range of opinion and for a lot of people, they wouldn't agree with the denomination's official standpoint on everything. I knew an Officer in the Salvation Army (equivalent of a pastor) who was involved in developing and amending the Salvos official statements of doctrine who was very honest about how some of the eventual statements didn't match up with his own personal belief.

Scott Morrison is a Supremacist. We have had Prime Ministers who have been Catholic, C of E, Agnostic, Atheists and probably of other faiths as well but none of them, NONE OF THEM, have ever belonged to a sect that believes that those who are not of their faith, are inferior!

Morrison's faith goes to the heart of what he thinks of other Australians and the land of Australia. You cannot compare Morrison's faith/religion to any other Christian denomination. The Pentecostal denominations that he is a member of are dogmatic in the extreme and see everyone else as inferior, not worth worrying about and indeed, if you can exploit them do it; it's God's will!

The Pentecostal Churches do not accept nor tolerate any deviance from, or defiance of, their strict dogma. How can these facts not matter when we are talking about OUR Prime Minister, about someone who is supposed to be governing for ALL of us?

Morrison has more in common with the theocratic regimes of Iran, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Yemen etc. His beliefs are non negotiable. He believes that everything is "God's will" and therefore, things like the environment, hunger, homelessness, health, welfare, wellbeing etc have nothing whatsoever to do with government and all to do with God & Christ so who gives a crap if our air, water and soil is being poisoned, this is just an earthly thing and those that have been "born again", they'll all be taken up to heaven anyway so who cares?

We are not talking about your "organic", run-of-the-mill religion here. These religozombies are extremists!

His beliefs are not that of a religious faith that is tolerant of others, that believe that others are just as important as everyone else regardless of their faith. He believes that we are all inferior to him and his born-again bigots. How can this person be Prime Minister of Australia?

The oi oi oi brigade bang on about Sharia Law and yet, we have a Prime Minister who, for all intents and purposes, is cut from the same cloth! He must govern according to his beliefs and those of the Pentecostal Churches in exactly the same way, that Hassan Rouhani governs in line with what the Supreme Leader/"Assembly Of Experts" of Iran decree.

Don't people understand the ramifications of this? He is an anathema to everything this country is and what it has always been.

Attacking an extremist and a supremacist is not moronic. It is moronic not to do so. Howard was a hard core capitalist pig dog but he was never a religious zealot who considered himself to be of a Religion that was superior to other peoples religion. He was a Methodist and as such, there was an emphasise on charity and support for the sick, the poor, and the afflicted through the works of mercy, things that are laughed at by the Pentecostal religozombies.

The people that had a go at Howard's religion were dick heads. His religion, like the vast majority of religions in Australia, is largely benign and indeed, that is what Australia is, largely benign. Morrison and his bigots, they are alien to the "Australian way of life", so to speak.

You're kidding? What a f***ing pig! This is his "Christian" ethics coming to the for is it? One of those Nationals aught to take him around behind the shelter sheds and bash the living daylights out of the ****.

Wasn’t the Old Testament to retain harvest from the seven good years to cover for the bad seven

Sounds like strong government welfare to me

His religion is relevant to how he will likely govern.

Ruddock's "review" into religious freedom for bigots was completed in May but the Government still haven't released it as yet.

They will clearly wait till after the Wentworth by-election to release it (as no doubt it will be another bone of contention between the reactionaries and the moderates) and then start implementing its findings.

Morrison's religious fundamentalism will likely dictate his response to the recommendations.

So his sky fairy worship is clearly something deserving of ridicule if it will have practical effects on people's lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back