Starting positions, bigger goalsquare a step closer

Remove this Banner Ad

That's why there is an outcry I mean they have based these changes on three trial matches, three! they haven''t released any data or explained any logical reasoning except to say it "might" help higher scoring "might" is the key word. They are banking on hope and a prayer that these changes will work!
Just amateur hour.

I've said it before on these boards, The rules and laws of the game should be placed in a national trust and only be made changes too when it is absolutely warranted after extended research and trials! the way the AFL decide to change the game to fit there own narrative and please the whore media partners is a ******* disgrace. Just like they try to shove that disgusting game they created AFLX down our throats! no wander nobody trusts these clown after creating that piece of s**t! this is our game they are suppose to be looking after not theirs to play around with willynilly. That's my frustration they are playing god with our game.

Agree with some of your comments but was there an 'outcry' when there were no trial games when the AFL introduced the goal review video system, banned 3rd man up in ruck contests or when they introduced the deliberate out of bounds rule...?
Subjectively these rules have impacted the game but have been accepted for better or worse by most. Agree, the AFLX concept was a failed experiment.

about congestion which is a normal part of the game and which opens up as the game goes on and players become more fatigued.

Exactly right !!

Instead of making artificial & bandaid changes to the rules, why not look into "fatigue" and ways of making that have a greater impact on the congestion in a match.

>attendance goes up
>TV viewers goes down

wow whoda thunk it
Attendance isn’t up anywhere accept WA though

Vic crowds avg 43-44K per game in the late 2000s...but only 40K this year

SA crowds were boosted with new stadium in 2014...but dropped every year since.

QLD is miles off what it was 15 years ago, NSW is flat and Tassie crowds are also dropping away.

Take out the new WA stadium and crowds aren’t going up...people aren’t coming, or watching as much as they used to...apart from Richmond bandwagonners

Agree with some of your comments but was there an 'outcry' when there were no trial games when the AFL introduced the goal review video system, banned 3rd man up in ruck contests or when they introduced the deliberate out of bounds rule...?
Subjectively these rules have impacted the game but have been accepted for better or worse by most. Agree, the AFLX concept was a failed experiment.

There diffidently was an out cry with the goal review and banning the third man up! go have a dig through these boards. Both where introduced prematurely.
the deliberate rule was generally welcomed but the way the umpires pick and choose and police it has been course for frustration, needs to be reviewed.

Removing 50m arc would be interesting: Hocking
SEN - Fri, 14th Sep 2018

AFL football operations manager Steve Hocking has admitted it would be interesting to see how the game would change if the 50m arc is removed.

The competition committee made their recommendations to the AFL Commission yesterday, with a larger goal square one of the floated ideas.

While abolishing the 50m arc wasn’t a recommendation, Hocking has explained how exploring the idea could have merit.

WHAT HOCKING AND AFL WANT TO ACHIEVE WITH NEW RULES

AFL COMPETITION COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS REVEALED

“Having watched football to the level we have, at all levels throughout the year, there is something really strange that happens around that 50m arc,” Hocking told SEN Breakfast.

Sorry, the video player failed to load.(Error Code: 104153)
“It would be interesting to have that taken out of the game just to see how it changes player’s behaviour.

“There is no doubt players and coaches utilise those lines on the oval, they use them almost for players to actually guide them as to where they need to be on the ground.”

http://aflnation.com.au/2018/09/14/removing-50m-arc-would-be-interesting-hocking/

This prick wants to * the game up! someone needs to take him out!

Attendance isn’t up anywhere accept WA though

Vic crowds avg 43-44K per game in the late 2000s...but only 40K this year

SA crowds were boosted with new stadium in 2014...but dropped every year since.

QLD is miles off what it was 15 years ago, NSW is flat and Tassie crowds are also dropping away.

Take out the new WA stadium and crowds aren’t going up...people aren’t coming, or watching as much as they used to...apart from Richmond bandwagonners

Yes, and TV viewership is only down slightly after years of record breaking figures, with an additional 20-25,000 or so WA fans watching the game live instead of on TV, in a year which conflicted with the FIFA world cup. If you owned shares in a company that had a series of record breaking years, would you panic sell when they had a year that went down slightly

Not only this, but i'm yet to see concrete evidence that this drop is correlated to any concerns regarding the "state of the game". Did the AFL do private polling? Am I missing something here? We're expected to completely ignore how shambolic the AFL fixture is, how many crap games were played in prime-time broadcast slots, and just take the AFL's word on the fact that a portion of people are tuning out because there's too many stoppages.

Most of tonight's game had only 3 sets of players start in 50m arc. Hawks often had 7 players start in their back half. So these starting set ups will not be allowed next year. The players that presently run off back and front of square will no longer be where they can start. So this 6-6-6 format is not as minor a change as some seem to think. It will not be a massive change but the way midfielders can clear and run from centre square will certainly be more interesting part of game next year with so many needing to start from as far back as the 50 metre arcs. I think if you watch game mostly on tv you will not even really notice much difference. But when the team stats are analysed within clubs there will be vast changes in way teams go about things.

Going to be an interesting 2019 season to come. The line 18 metres out from goals for use for kicking out after behinds I think we will take a month to get used to and barely notice it for most of games after that but it will change the way teams can lock ball in the forward line.

Exactly right !!

Instead of making artificial & bandaid changes to the rules, why not look into "fatigue" and ways of making that have a greater impact on the congestion in a match.
I agree with this, as I’ve said we should allow only one interchange per quarter. Slow the game down a little and the game will open up naturally and we will have less injuries. But the afl are scared of slowing down the game because it will lose the edge it has now. I’ve watched the tigers play all year and most games are like finals football, intense. I’d rather that than the NETBALL style kick the kick that some supporters want to go back to because their team is not winning at the moment.
So the haters come out and bitch about everything. I love the game as it is, just needs fine tuning, not American style changers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting analysis by folks at the ABC: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-15/afl-rules-changes-may-reduce-scoring-not-increase-it/10247576

The basic gist of the article: Three trial games is too few to draw any conclusions, but proper comparisons indicate---if anything---that the altered rules led to a reduction in scoring.

He will probably claim they were "15% higher than other games on the same day" or similar, but this makes Hocking look downright dishonest.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back