April Bradley
Kim Ravaillion
Madi Robinson
Kelsey Browne

Goalers
Shimona Nelsen
Gabby Sinclair
Natalie Medhurst

I agree she’s not star, but we’ve got a pretty inexperienced goal circle in Sinclair & Nelsen, and there is no doubt Medhurst brings a lot of top level experience to the table. It’s also worth noting that she can play mid-court as well in Wing Attack. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sinclair and Nelsen are the first choice goalers and Medhurst is a bench player at least to start with.

5 years ago Nat could play WA, absolutely zero effect as a WA now.
Her experience will be great at training.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
There is a lot to like about this squad having watched 3 out of 4 matches from the weekend. We looked a lot more flexible and within the squad making it a deeper looking team. Robinson played predominantly at centre during the Team Girls Cup, Ravallion played a little bit at centre, but mostly in Wing Defence along with Bragg, with Brazill only available for the Friday night match against Fever due to AFLW commitment and both Mentor and Nelson were pulled from the court at different times giving us a look at Medhurst/Sinclair combo up front and Brandley/Garrett combo in defence and both held up well.

There is also a better unity about the squad, and it looks like a focus has been on the combinations, because with all the different looks that took to the court for the magpies over the course of the weekend the combinations worked well together (although the stand out was the sisters of Browne and Robinson). You can't help but feel that Mentor and Wright have had a big influence in that regard.

And early on it looks like we might get a couple more wins from our ANL team as both Sinclair and Bragg (who is a training partner rather than in the main squad) look quite promising early on.

We do need to temper expectations a little as this is still a pre-season tournament and all teams were doing a fair bit of experimenting, but early on there is a lot to like about the 2019 iteration of the Magpies Netball team.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Awesome win today by the girls
Yep first time we’ve won the derby (not counting the pre-season match earlier this year). And boy did we need the win, although I have liked the balance of our squad this year, particularly since we added Poi, even though we haven’t gotten the results we would have liked.

Last edited:
Babylove and toxic although not a huge follower of Netball, always read your posts so thank you for updates.

Due to bonus point situation
We need to beat Vixens, winning all 4 quarters. Maximum points.

We need fever to win 2 quarters, can't see it happening but fingers crossed
Given our roster, we've improved but under achieved again

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I agree that we have under achieved, this roster looks a lot stronger and I feel a lot more confident in our coach than last year. It does feel like it’s taken all season for our combinations to gel given the amount of change we had coming into the season. I think in some games early on in the season we had only 3 out of 10 players that played with us last year due to roster changes and injuries.

Due to bonus point situation
We need to beat Vixens, winning all 4 quarters. Maximum points.

We need fever to win 2 quarters, can't see it happening but fingers crossed
Given our roster, we've improved but under achieved again
Am watching game, huge quarter by the girls.

On Ch90 now if anyone interested.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Awesome. Was out today so following on Twitter. Looking forward to watching the replay. We’re playing the Vixens again next week for our semi final so hopefully it’s more of the same.

Awesome. Was out today so following on Twitter. Looking forward to watching the replay. We’re playing the Vixens again next week for our semi final so hopefully it’s more of the same.

Wow, sorry couldn't post in yesterday, may have had 1 or 21 too many beers and may have trolled over on the West coast post match board 😅😅

Anyway to the game!

Our midcourt finally clicks!
Ash Braz in centre was so good it was scary (Laura Langman in her prime good)
Kimmy Rav was excellent, rolled into space cutting off Phillips leads allowing April to drop back on Caitlin Thwaites.
Poi was patient when required, dynamic on centre pass. Played a great short give go game and destroyed Mrs Joe Ingles.

Defence end:
Geva Mentor. I love you Geva, marry me. Deflections, intercepts, rolling off and shutting down feeding options. She dominated both Thwaites and Phillips.
April Brandley, attacking game was excellent, constantly the bail out option.

Attack End:
Room for improvement
Shimon - strong and impacted defensively, too much power snatching at the ball, dropped 6-8 very gettable passes, can't afford 1 0 goal giveaways.
Medhurst, best 1st half she's played in 3 years. Then went off the boil, stopped driving to the top of the circle, started running baseline instead of taking the top of the circle. Bad lead patterns which didn't help Nelson

A Great win!

BUT:
When Mwai came on and the Vixens attack end became "unpredictable" we really were exposed.
If Vixens are game, they'll start Mwai (MJ) and then it gets really interesting

Can't wait for Sunday

It's game day.

BLOODY nervous for the girls

Go Pies

I went to our last final (v Giants here in Sydney) and although netball is not really my bag, it was one of the most memorable sporting events I’ve been to. Being in an enclosed stadium full of the shrill screaming of teenage girls - my eardrums were resonating and they got quite painful there at one stage. Exciting game that we lost by a point. Hopefully we do better today.

#gopies

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Well that half didn't go according to plan. Can't watch the game as I am busy preparing for an exam coming up in just over a week, but have been following the scores online, and don't need to see the game to know that we have been thoroughly outplayed that half.

Back