List Mgmt. Coaching Changes for 2019 - Mattner, Wright, Godden IN; Francou, Kaesler, O'Keefe OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think Hart is SANFL coach next year, reckon he couldn’t find anything in Vic. I’m completely fine with that

Will be interesting to see who coaches our forwards, and even who we get to replace Kaesler

Hart doesn't have a contract and was told he was free to look elsewhere for a job. In what world does he think he has a position locked down?
I thought it was the fact that he did have a contract but was told that he could pursue other options if they were available to him. Has anyone confirmed whether he was out of contract or not ?? Why would we put him on as head SANFL coach after deeming that he had failed as an assistant and has previously failed as an assistant at another club. That sounds more like a move of a club stuck with a coach on a contract and nowhere else to put him.

I thought it was the fact that he did have a contract but was told that he could pursue other options if they were available to him. Has anyone confirmed whether he was out of contract or not ?? Why would we put him on as head SANFL coach after deeming that he had failed as an assistant and has previously failed as an assistant at another club. That sounds more like a move of a club stuck with a coach on a contract and nowhere else to put him.

“He has been offered a contract for next year,” Pyke told The Advertiser on Friday. “There is no uncertainty from our point of view.”

And that offer was as SANFL coach from what the rumours are, which caused Ben Hart to go looking for work elsewhere, which he was unable to find again.

If this is true we really are going backwards. Surely you tell the bloke hes replacing before shopping him around to the media.

Our media/PR department is a joke. Unfortunately, we just assumed we could announce Mattners appointment whenever we liked, in a nice planned, controlled manner. We didn’t think that Sturt might like to let their members know their coach was leaving, especially given everyone knew this anyway, might as well confirm it.

We were then forced to trot Marty out before time and he was clearly told he couldn’t let on his official role which was stupid. Should have waited till later in the week and at least prepped the poor guy properly.

His statement should have been “whilst the club is still finalizing its coaching panel, Im not at liberty to discuss my role further...” not “it’s not been decided”.

You clearly don’t take a new job without having a fair idea what your job description will be!

It’s a bit like Paddy saying “I haven’t thought about it”...

And that offer was as SANFL coach from what the rumours are, which caused Ben Hart to go looking for work elsewhere, which he was unable to find again.
Thanks. But why persist with failure when you could bring in someone new ?? If things didn't work out and you literally couldn't find anyone suitable (hard to believe) to bring to the club, finding a decent SANFL coach wouldn't be hard. But instead we go again with Hart. Disappointing.

Thanks. But why persist with failure when you could bring in someone new ?? If things didn't work out and you literally couldn't find anyone suitable (hard to believe) to bring to the club, finding a decent SANFL coach wouldn't be hard. But instead we go again with Hart. Disappointing.
Friend of Roo I guess.

I mean, he could have good communication skills and be adapt at working with youngsters, just that he's a tactical dud, so something like the SANFL role may be better suited to his skillset.

You'd surely want someone who's on the way up, looking to get experience and is enthusiastic about the role.

Instead we have someone who was lumped with a role he didn't want, who's fresh off a demotion.

You'd surely want someone who's on the way up, looking to get experience and is enthusiastic about the role.

Instead we have someone who was lumped with a role he didn't want, who's fresh off a demotion.
I've brought up NEAFL a fair bit in the last day or 2, but look at the resume of Steve Daniel who has just coached Southport to a premiership after they were basically a basket case with Bock in charge. Why wouldn't we give someone like that a go ?? Plus I am sure there would be heaps of other examples similar to his across the country. And surely a guy like that would jump at the chance to work in an elite sporting environment.

If this is true we really are going backwards. Surely you tell the bloke hes replacing before shopping him around to the media.

He's most likely been told, however, we're probably aiming to do all of our coaching announcements in one swoop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably doesn't matter either way. SANFL coach would be really low in the pecking order and is probably just there to make sure everything is running smoothly on gameday, and not much else.

I'd say if you were wanting to go up, you'd be better going to any other SANFL club then us and port. After all, you can't get the results due to being hamstrung by the AFL side (+being totally reliant on them being healthy) and you have no say in development/game style.

I wonder if that demotion comes with a reduced salary?

I still think Hart is SANFL coach next year, reckon he couldn’t find anything in Vic. I’m completely fine with that

Will be interesting to see who coaches our forwards, and even who we get to replace Kaesler

Would not surprise me if Kaesler is not replaced but instead move Hart there with Younie coaching the SANFL
or bring up Thomas, to the role.
Good chance to bring in a retire AFL player to take up SANFL captain and add development coaching role, ie Vince. An interesting way around the AFL soft Capt.

Would not surprise me if Kaesler is not replaced but instead move Hart there with Younie coaching the SANFL
or bring up Thomas, to the role.
Good chance to bring in a retire AFL player to take up SANFL captain and add development coaching role, ie Vince. An interesting way around the AFL soft Capt.
Younie wont coach the SANFL side again

Probably doesn't matter either way. SANFL coach would be really low in the pecking order and is probably just there to make sure everything is running smoothly on gameday, and not much else.

I'd say if you were wanting to go up, you'd be better going to any other SANFL club then us and port. After all, you can't get the results due to being hamstrung by the AFL side (+being totally reliant on them being healthy) and you have no say in development/game style.
Same as Port putting Lokan in charge.

I think you want someone prepared to implement the gameplan that the club believes will work at AFL level.

Hart's position (assuming he takes the SANFL role) is probably not a lot different to Jade Rawlings, who's coaching the Casey Demons in the VFL Grand Final on Sunday. Rawlings had was the backline and defensive coordinator for the AFL team, and has been in the AFL coaching system for about a decade. There are others with a similar path (Aaron Hamill at Sandringham, Shane O'Bree at Geelong). Gavin Brown has gone from being an AFL assistant to a VFL assistant at North Melbourne.

Our media/PR department is a joke. Unfortunately, we just assumed we could announce Mattners appointment whenever we liked, in a nice planned, controlled manner. We didn’t think that Sturt might like to let their members know their coach was leaving, especially given everyone knew this anyway, might as well confirm it.

We were then forced to trot Marty out before time and he was clearly told he couldn’t let on his official role which was stupid. Should have waited till later in the week and at least prepped the poor guy properly.

His statement should have been “whilst the club is still finalizing its coaching panel, Im not at liberty to discuss my role further...” not “it’s not been decided”.

You clearly don’t take a new job without having a fair idea what your job description will be!

It’s a bit like Paddy saying “I haven’t thought about it”...

We really didn't need to rush into Marty holding a presser. We still could've put out our statement following Sturt's and let the news run with that - he was still finishing off his work with Sturt and probably still is.

Then when everyone is clear on what we're doing we roll him out alongside Pyke and everyone is smiling and on the same page.

And has zero interest from 17 other clubs. We're literally the only club in the league who'll employ him. Welcome to Fagan's version of delivering us the best footy dept in the land. You know, because that's what he does. He actually said he has experience doing that. What a w***er.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if we brought in Josh Carr. If there was ever a guy who made the most out of their talents it was him, slow, not a big kick, hands were OK not great, violence level off the charts but geez he was a handy inside mid.

Appears to have done a fairly decent job with North, seems willing to not only play an extra man in defence when the side is 8 goals down but also an extra player on the field itself. Apart from all of that, one of my favourite footy images of all time, just slightly behind Jarman magic in the last quarter, was him astride Ackermanis with one hand grabbing his jumper and his other fist raised, just begging for a reason to punch that ******** in the mush.

Not sure if Roo and him still have issues...actually don't care, work it out, it's been 20 years and not saying he should be a line coach but getting him involved with our mids should be a priority.

I still remember going to watch Glenelg ( think he played the first 8 matches for Glenelg before playing for the Power) and watching this 18 year old kid who should have been fearful of grown men, going around belting people like it was his right; nobody got a cheap possession on him when he played for the Bays, they earnt every one of them.

Given we haven't announced another Coaching appointment ....could it be he is with a current team in the Top 4, that played this weekend ?

I've been wanting Graham from West Coast for a while to take over from Francou. Love how efficient their forward line is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back