The takeover of Australia by two companies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wesfarmers and Woolworths.
Over 40 cents in every retail dollar is funnelled through these two corporations.
In the US, they would be forced to break up their monopolies.
I think it’s time we did the same here. Way to much power in the hands of only two companies.
We’ve seen the news of the milk wars and the damage done.
We’ve seen the news of these companies price setting.
We’ve seen the news of these companies forcing producers to take the price offered for their goods.
And now comes news of one of these companies unconscionable actions in the insurance industry.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-...ises-for-selling-to-woman-on-pension/10224504
But in a letter to Mr Hodgson on September 4, Woolworths Insurance disputes resolution officer Maria Pinzon said the company had no case to answer and the sale of the policy was appropriate.

"There was no reason that presented itself during the relevant telephone conversations which would alert a reasonable person to any issue of capacity to enter into the contract," Ms Pinzon said in the letter.

Horrible.

Just so you know where your retail dollar goes.
http://www.wesfarmers.com.au/our-businesses/our-businesses
https://www.woolworthsgroup.com.au/page/about-us/our-brands/

As a former employee of Coles during my high school and uni days I can't complain about the way I was treated and consider myself fortunate to have gained so much practical life experience at a young age.

I don't however agree with some of the current practices undertaken by both major conglomerates. It's a tricky situation

As a former employee of Coles during my high school and uni days I can't complain about the way I was treated and consider myself fortunate to have gained so much practical life experience at a young age.

I don't however agree with some of the current practices undertaken by both major conglomerates. It's a tricky situation
I know a lot of people have had their working life started via these two companies. But statistics show that small companies employee more people than the big boys on a dollar for dollar basis.
I’ve no problem with these companies operating, but their stranglehold on the retail dollar, be it hardware/timber, supermarkets, petrol, alcohol, etc makes it very hard for small businesses to survive.
And that’s a pity for all of us.
I’d advocate the USofA’s anti trust laws. Where companies are forced to break up when they bec9me to big.
Would be much fairer for all who want the opportunity to drive the economy through having a go.

I’d advocate the USofA’s anti trust laws. Where companies are forced to break up when they bec9me to big.
Would be much fairer for all who want the opportunity to drive the economy through having a go.

The difference between doing business in the USA and Australia is so vast there is almost no point in comparing.

Interesting.

Aldi is rising fast. So there might be three, soon enough.

But I do mourn the loss of IGA, which seems in terminal decline.

It's very hard to encourage diversity given economies of scale in the supermarket industry. I think the best we can do is good labour laws; if they complain about these, they can sell the supermarkets to someone else. The one benefit of a monopoly/duopoly for administration is that they will put up with a lot before they jump ship since they have so many advantages already and don't want to give those up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back