What are you Listening to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Never listened to much Lou Reed but just been booked to play a tribute show on the anniversary of his death next month, including the Berlin album in full. Actually really like the album, should have listened before.

One of the greatest songwriters and musical influencers to emerge from the latter half of the twentieth century. Also one of my favourites who I was lucky enough to see live several times.

Some Petra Haden

That Dog, Beck, The Rentals, Mike Watt, Luscious Jackson, Green Day, Victoria Williams, Spain, Twilight Singers, Juana Molina, Decemberists, Tegan & Sara, Foo Fighters, Iggy & The Stooges, Spain, Afghan Whigs.....and the ridiculous list of credits goes on.

Can play.

Love that dog. They never really caught on much down in these parts. In fact, they never really seemed to catch on much in the US either, despite having major label backing for most of their time together. Three distinctly different albums, all of them good - with the last one (Retreat From The Sun) being an under-recognised 90's 'college rock' gem that boasts an embarrassment of catchy-arse pop riches.

Seems to have been their big play for commercial success if the fairly unsubtle focus placed on Anna Waronker's cleavage in this clip is anything to go by.....

Never listened to much Lou Reed but just been booked to play a tribute show on the anniversary of his death next month, including the Berlin album in full. Actually really like the album, should have listened before.

One of the greatest songwriters and musical influencers to emerge from the latter half of the twentieth century. Also one of my favourites who I was lucky enough to see live several times.

To steal a direct quote from Mrs. Seinfeld - 'how could you not like Lou Reed?'

The man is a genius*.

(*Those albums he did in the 80's that had far too much saxaphone, and featured crimes against music like "My Red Joystick" and "Original Wrapper" notwithstanding.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To steal a direct quote from Mrs. Seinfeld - 'how could you not like Lou Reed?'

The man is a genius*.

(*Those albums he did in the 80's that had far too much saxaphone, and featured crimes against music like "My Red Joystick" and "Original Wrapper" notwithstanding.)

Honestly, I appreciate your musical tastes TOD, but Lou Reed a genius? Please, three chords, and look how cool I can be in my drunken lyrics ... Next you'll be telling me Andy Warhol was an excellent artist.

Honestly, I appreciate your musical tastes TOD, but Lou Reed a genius? Please, three chords, and look how cool I can be in my drunken lyrics ... Next you'll be telling me Andy Warhol was an excellent artist.

Doesn't matter if they were geniuses or not. What matters is that they are geniuses to those whose hearts were touched by their art. And we should all be allowed to decide for ourselves what sings in our own heart.

Some people thought Daniel Johnston was just a schizophrenic with a tape machine. Others thought he was a genius. Neither opinion needs to be the right one. For me, well, some of his songs just sing in my heart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back