List Mgmt. Welcome Luke Dahlhaus as free agent (CONFIRMED & OFFICIAL 5 Oct)

Luke Dahlhaus . Do you want him at Geelong?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Varcoe 2011 was a good Varcoe,then came a couple of foot injuries and he returned as a sheep dog,got the arse was replaced in his role by Motlop who became the new sheep dog and also got the arse to be replaced by Guthrie who is the latest sheep dog,anyone see a trend here?
Not sure what you've got against sheep dogs. Are they related to seagulls?

Varcoe 2011 was a good Varcoe,then came a couple of foot injuries and he returned as a sheep dog,got the arse was replaced in his role by Motlop who became the new sheep dog and also got the arse to be replaced by Guthrie who is the latest sheep dog,anyone see a trend here?
yes Varcoe >> Motlop >> Guthrie. The trend is downward!

Gotta say, as happy as I am to see Varcoe doing well at Collingwood - he seems like a nice guy, at the time I was 100% in favour of getting rid of him.
Agree. I love what he brings to the Pies side at the moment but have no doubt he wouldn't be playing like that now at Geelong if he were still here.

Trav Varcoe was unfairly maligned the entire time he was at Geelong, possibly in part due to the way the club hyped him up when we drafted him (from memory Wells may have said he had one of the best highlights videos he'd ever seen?).

Now he's overrated by us (as a Collingwood player). He is a solid citizen capable of great moments.

Nothing more, nothing less. Would be best 22 at plenty of clubs including ours but I firmly believe he never reached his full potential at either club.

the other issue was his 2008 GF performance which was that he went missing. I remember Bomber having to defend him in particular when there were many culprits not the least Bomber himself for not engineering a loss or recalibration. Balme wont make the same mistake at Richmond.
He was injured during the 08 Prelim v Dogs. And he was a kid. You realise that was 10 years ago? Stokes was really poor that game, also injured.

Agree. I love what he brings to the Pies side at the moment but have no doubt he wouldn't be playing like that now at Geelong if he were still here.
Based on what exactly? After a couple of injury plagued years at geelong his form improved in his last month with us and he just played pretty much at the same level at collingwood.

He was injured during the 08 Prelim v Dogs. And he was a kid. You realise that was 10 years ago? Stokes was really poor that game, also injured.

I wasn’t having a go but identifying another source of disgruntlement that started after this game which just bubbled along for the next 6 years to be replaced with; why did he leave disgruntlement from others.
Not sure what 10 years ago has to do with this sequence of posting; he left four years ago. He remains a dual premiership player for us and of course was involved in that famous sequence in ‘09 which was probably greater than the two goals in the ‘11 GF including the big run.

Why oh why we stuck him in the backline defies logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Varcoe kicked 31 goals back to back in 2010/2011 playing as a small fwd predominantly. Applied good pressure as well. Our current fwd line is crying out for a player like that. Injury affected his output for the 3 years following 2011. Saying he was never any good is completely inaccurate.

And you were 100 percent wrong.

Yeah, hard to argue with that given the way it all panned out.

I still don't blame the club for taking the punt though - a fit Clark (however unlikely that was) would have had a far greater impact on our chances over the past few years than if we'd retained Varcoe, simply due to the style of players they are/were. Gotta risk it for the biscuit.

I still don't blame the club for taking the punt though - a fit Clark (however unlikely that was) would have had a far greater impact on our chances over the past few years than if we'd retained Varcoe, simply due to the style of players they are/were. Gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Clark came with baggage, was never fit, and was not the sort of player / person GFC recruited.
Varcoe finally overcame his injuries and was close to our best in that loss to Hawks (mission accomplished) and in the final.
That punt I do lay blame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clark came with baggage, was never fit, and was not the sort of player / person GFC recruited.
Varcoe finally overcame his injuries and was close to our best in that loss to Hawks (mission accomplished) and in the final.
That punt I do lay blame.
Clark was a bullshit trade, should have been rookie selection
Way too much baggage

Exactly. And at the time 90% of people agreed. It’s only now that we are swarmed with Captain Hindsights.

Not sure what you've got against sheep dogs. Are they related to seagulls?

Sheep dogs try until they drop and have a sole determined purpose. I don't see how the players mentioned fit this category

Back