Strategy Geelong’s teamwork & cohesion

Remove this Banner Ad

We are not going to get amazing F-S picks again, more than likely.
but our team in 15 years is going to be something else .....

just reading the team sheet will give me a woody ( and in 15 years it's probably the only thing that will ...)

There’s an old saying in footy :

‘The best way to shirk a contest is to fall over’
We have a lot of those kind of blokes on our list
That's funny, haven't heard that one.
I do remember an old footy saying from one of my coaches though: "Wear the right *******boots next time, or you'll be playin' left back at the *******clubrooms!!"

That's funny, haven't heard that one.
I do remember an old footy saying from one of my coaches though: "Wear the right *******boots next time, or you'll be playin' left back at the *******clubrooms!!"
And what would be the message from the coach today to those players slipping over?

Hopefully the same. But you and I know that these millennials generally require a more subtle approach.
Probably construed as bullying these days:rolleyes:
Seriously, I have mentioned before that many players prefer lower profile cleat style boots as they believe it cuts down foot/ankle/ knee? injuries. (Cowan,Gregson, menzel- chronic slippers. Joel and Duncan also some history there) It would be interesting to compare philosophies at different clubs regarding this.
Familiarity with conditions at the grounds also helps.
I know that In Adelaide the evening dew can make conditions more slippery than one would expect,even though it appears otherwise dry. MCG too perhaps?

Seriously, I have mentioned before that many players prefer lower profile cleat style boots as they believe it cuts down foot/ankle/ knee? injuries. (Cowan,Gregson, menzel- chronic slippers. Joel and Duncan also some history there) It would be interesting to compare philosophies at different clubs regarding this.
I know that In Adelaide the evening dew can make conditions more slippery than one would expect,even though it appears otherwise dry. MCG too perhaps?
I noticed that it wasn't just Geelong players slipping at the MCG. But when it happens to one of your own it suddenly becomes an issue.

cant build cohesion when you are topping up each year

have to start again and build a group of talented young kids who play together for many years

team first attitude, not self centered players like Danger, Ablett and Menzel
This is why I disagreed so strongly with those who wanted Danger as captain. The humility of guys like Harley, Ling, Corey, Bartel, Chappy, etc. was what got us there last time. It kept the guys like Ablett and SJ accountable. In fact they were allowed to tell guns to lift their team game.

Chris Scott pretty much said something along those lines when dealing with Motlops ( and a few other young blokes) poor form patches last year.

Last edited:
From today’s Age, in an article about Craig Bellamy speaking to the Collingwood playing list this week:

“The Pies have weekly culture sessions where they bring in speakers or go to see a movie together. Many of the sessions have nothing to do with football but offer a different perspective.”

I don’t know what, if anything, we arrange in terms of player bonding and culture development but from the outside it appears we are lacking in this area.

Richmond’s bonding sessions and public speaking sessions over the 2017 pre-season were later regarded as one of the key factors behind their flag success.

I hope this is one of the focuses of Cook’s so-called review. These reports make me envious particularly when we play like a group of 22 individuals rather than a united team all too often.

From today’s Age, in an article about Craig Bellamy speaking to the Collingwood playing list this week:

“The Pies have weekly culture sessions where they bring in speakers or go to see a movie together. Many of the sessions have nothing to do with football but offer a different perspective.”

I don’t know what, if anything, we arrange in terms of player bonding and culture development but from the outside it appears we are lacking in this area.

Richmond’s bonding sessions and public speaking sessions over the 2017 pre-season were later regarded as one of the key factors behind their flag success.

I hope this is one of the focuses of Cook’s so-called review. These reports make me envious particularly when we play like a group of 22 individuals rather than a united team all too often.
And it seems that getting this kind of team bonding, leadership, etc. was a big factor in our 2007 success. Need to add this in the mix going forward - surely can't hurt.

CS has gone off to Harvard and other Ivy league type schools to get greater coaching accreditations.

Im all for this kind of coaching advancement and am pleased he's done it.

However, this year I want a different tact. This year I want that time and funds plowed into player relations and development specifically between CS and the listed players - all of them. Not like a big Kum by Yah or anything - just get a better feel for the group - build the rapport and get some two way communications going.

It aint gonna fix everything - but if it helps gets some cohesion going - i'll take it.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adam Treloar says:

“[The club has] been enormous. Nothing to do with football, all they cared about was about me as an individual. Bucks, Nick Maxwell, who I absolutely love and adore. They helped me massively.

"I don't consider [Bucks] as a coach. My relationship I have with him, and I'm sure all the other players have with him, is a bond, a friendship, a brotherhood."

Adam Treloar says:

“[The club has] been enormous. Nothing to do with football, all they cared about was about me as an individual. Bucks, Nick Maxwell, who I absolutely love and adore. They helped me massively.

"I don't consider [Bucks] as a coach. My relationship I have with him, and I'm sure all the other players have with him, is a bond, a friendship, a brotherhood."
This seems to be where Don Pyke has also fallen over.

Clarkson and Dimma appear to have this bond with their players.

Why do you say that? Ive heard nothing at all thus far.
I reckon this thread is the crux of Geelongs lament as a finals underachiever. I really doubt CS is centred within himself to the same degree compared to Bucks. Bucks can sit silent and your attention would be unwavering upon him. CS doesn't have that gravitus. So Bucks, along with a guy like Balme, become a sort of father figures for whom you walk thru fire for out of a deeper inner connection with their persona. In 2011 the older Geelong guys drove the culture for success, stimulated by a new coach which freshenned the players motivates. Therefore, I suspect that Geelong will fall short into the foreseeable future until the club gets savvy with this idea.

I reckon this thread is the crux of Geelongs lament as a finals underachiever. I really doubt CS is centred within himself to the same degree compared to Bucks. Bucks can sit silent and your attention would be unwavering upon him. CS doesn't have that gravitus. So Bucks, along with a guy like Balme, become a sort of father figures for whom you walk thru fire for out of a deeper inner connection with their persona. In 2011 the older Geelong guys drove the culture for success, stimulated by a new coach which freshenned the players motivates. Therefore, I suspect that Geelong will fall short into the foreseeable future until the club gets savvy with this idea.
There are very few coaches who are like that. Some appear to be to varying degrees. I can't really see this sentiment of behaviour with Chris Scott, at least not publicly. He is a very analytical coach and obviously very intelligent. But that intangible of being a father-figure doesn't seem to be present. None of the coaches in Geelong, barring maybe Matt Scarlett, have this TBH.

This seems to be where Don Pyke has also fallen over.

Clarkson and Dimma appear to have this bond with their players.

I'd say the same for Simpson and the WCE.
They're a great club, and a powerhouse team.
CS to much the analyst appears detached from the group an individualist.
Unfortunately much like his players.

Last edited:

Allot of reinventing going on; Bucks was distant from players 12 months ago had ‘lost the locker room’ etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Watching Buckley on 360 I listened to how he talked about his team and noticed he usually was about the players playing for each other, how they needed to back each other, trust the mates, etc. I also understand that coaches are often talking to their players when they go on these sorts of shows so I was fairly certain that that was also the message he was giving his guys back at the club. I also felt that if some of his broken pieces got fixed and some missing pieces were found that the Pies would be a tough team to play. I posted my thoughts last offseason.
I think that Buckley has also learned from his days as captain to not be so 'demanding'(he teammates weren't quite as perfect or obsessive as he was I think was reported) and how important that cohesion was. And that is a feature of his coaching. The years the Pies have spent in the wilderness, IMO, are due to key injuries, some recruiting disasters at key positions, and just not being able to find quality at other KPs. They have solved most of those issues.
The Cats lineup OTOH has been in a churn for the past several seasons, without young standouts coming in to establish a new team core of true quality players. Recruiting veterans from other teams added to the pressure on our cohesiveness. However, the last 2 years, especially this year, that is changing. We've found some players who seem to have the capability so it looks like that core is starting to form. It's a tough decision but I lean toward keep playing those guys we think can make it; give them(and the team) that opportunity. I worry bringing in even more vets from around the league might stall or derail their progress at the top level, so if they are brought in I would hope they are only played if the younger guys need a spell or have a drop in form. Cohesion is bound to improve as they play more and more together. In simple terms, I am optimistic about where the team is headed.
I also want to heartily support the idea of more team-bonding during the off-season and it must include the old guys.
I have a theory about Selwood's captaincy, and I hope I can express it clearly. First obviously he is an amazing 'follow me' leader on the field. I wonder if because he came into the club right as the team was peaking, if he may be a bit complacent in establishing the team culture on all the other guys. There were so many leaders back then, that the captain didn't really need to be a culture 'enforcer'. Maybe Joel, as he has become a man with more distractions, has neglected that part a little or has subconsciously assumed that the culture imprints itself on new arrivals. Obviously I have NFI what is going on in the club itself, and could be completely off base with my theory. I hope that the leadership gets more proactive in their promotion of vaunted GFC culture into the squad, starting with senior players.

Watching Buckley on 360 I listened to how he talked about his team and noticed he usually was about the players playing for each other, how they needed to back each other, trust the mates, etc. I also understand that coaches are often talking to their players when they go on these sorts of shows so I was fairly certain that that was also the message he was giving his guys back at the club. I also felt that if some of his broken pieces got fixed and some missing pieces were found that the Pies would be a tough team to play. I posted my thoughts last offseason.
I think that Buckley has also learned from his days as captain to not be so 'demanding'(he teammates weren't quite as perfect or obsessive as he was I think was reported) and how important that cohesion was. And that is a feature of his coaching. The years the Pies have spent in the wilderness, IMO, are due to key injuries, some recruiting disasters at key positions, and just not being able to find quality at other KPs. They have solved most of those issues.
The Cats lineup OTOH has been in a churn for the past several seasons, without young standouts coming in to establish a new team core of true quality players. Recruiting veterans from other teams added to the pressure on our cohesiveness. However, the last 2 years, especially this year, that is changing. We've found some players who seem to have the capability so it looks like that core is starting to form. It's a tough decision but I lean toward keep playing those guys we think can make it; give them(and the team) that opportunity. I worry bringing in even more vets from around the league might stall or derail their progress at the top level, so if they are brought in I would hope they are only played if the younger guys need a spell or have a drop in form. Cohesion is bound to improve as they play more and more together. In simple terms, I am optimistic about where the team is headed.
I also want to heartily support the idea of more team-bonding during the off-season and it must include the old guys.
I have a theory about Selwood's captaincy, and I hope I can express it clearly. First obviously he is an amazing 'follow me' leader on the field. I wonder if because he came into the club right as the team was peaking, if he may be a bit complacent in establishing the team culture on all the other guys. There were so many leaders back then, that the captain didn't really need to be a culture 'enforcer'. Maybe Joel, as he has become a man with more distractions, has neglected that part a little or has subconsciously assumed that the culture imprints itself on new arrivals. Obviously I have NFI what is going on in the club itself, and could be completely off base with my theory. I hope that the leadership gets more proactive in their promotion of vaunted GFC culture into the squad, starting with senior players.
Actually, you make a lot of really good points.

We go around and around in circles about the new players traded in, however we have been one of top clubs in debuting new players in the last two years. We are forming a new core of exciting young players.

Honestly, even if we bring in a couple of older players, I’m not going to worry about it too much. Crameri couldn’t displace Fogarty this year, and there’s every chance that Taylor won’t be able to take Henry’s spot next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back