The Travel Thread 🚗 🚢 ✈

Remove this Banner Ad

How long would you recommend staying in NYC for? and whats the best area to stay in? Manhattan? Brooklyn?

Midtown Manhattan is a great location and definitely stay between one and two weeks. One week is enough if you want to be on the constant go and not really have any time to chill out and relax

[QUOTE="James_Blues,
How long would you recommend in New Orleans?[/QUOTE]
I love the music. Venues often have 3-4 bands on each night.You can just wander about town discovering acts. Or getting smashed with the springbreakers. Frenchman street just at one end of the French quarter, or read the local street papers for other venues.

A week for music, soaking up the atmosphere, checking out the Mississippi, swamps, plantations. It's different to the rest of the US.

Have a great trip.

The luggage turned up the next day. It arrived at our hotel in Paphos before we did.
Attended a 60th birthday in Cyprus last night (father of the groom). We’ve been mates since we were teenagers.

The weather in Paphos is hot and sunny. We strolled along the waterfront today and took in the views. The Mediterranean looks benign here and I’m told there’s no sharks.

Here are a few of today’s photos.
F1049C75-A2A7-4DB9-84A9-5DD0BCE94780.jpeg
F9D050A7-EC4C-462E-9C60-3A5BD4FA0960.jpeg
DD7D226C-EDE3-4C6B-A678-E628AEEDDCD8.jpeg

Headed off to do some travelling round the US in October before settling in to do a working holiday in Canada over the winter. Any recommendations for places to go in the US?
Was there 4 years ago, loved New York, Washington and San Francisco.

But my absolute favourite place was Fallingwater - an amazing house built over a waterfall that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1935. Its in Pennsylvania State, near Pittsburgh. If you get the chance I highly recommend it is truly brilliant.

Was there 4 years ago, loved New York, Washington and San Francisco.

But my absolute favourite place was Fallingwater - an amazing house built over a waterfall that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1935. Its in Pennsylvania State, near Pittsburgh. If you get the chance I highly recommend it is truly brilliant.

Fantastic Blue!

Been 1 week plus change in London. Absolutely ******* love it! Been to two football games already (and bought a new QPR kit), many pubs, Buckingham Palace, Leicester Square etc.

I’m based out of Twickenham and I’m absolutely having a ball! Genuinely didn’t think I’d ever travel so this is all a bit surreal!

Big day. We never up this late. After 1am in Paphos.

We walked to the Tombs of the Kings today. About 3 kilometres. The weather hasn’t changed here. About 30 Celsius and 70% humidity. Lucky it’s autumn.

The Tombs is a world heritage site. It’s the bare minimum. I’m not sure that a lot maintenance occurs at the site which is a pity. It’s amazing.
929FCFA3-B428-4270-B593-C9FCB384659C.jpeg
5A85C611-CD18-4241-AB61-F85133480D3A.jpeg
F7AE1F3A-ECBD-4D68-A18E-29AC87B8076F.jpeg
4078CF5D-A5AF-4319-82FA-58EAAD9F50ED.jpeg
2F841895-85B3-46A7-ACE4-6DCAD1ECEC4A.jpeg

Another hot one today. I was just talking to an old guy who told me in winter that it snows here. I’m calling bullshit.

We had to get out of the sun today and retreated to our hotel at about 3pm.

I checked the footy scores. Then I had a nap to recover from the shock. I’m downstairs with my wife having drinks before dinner. Life’s tough.
DC89599E-D7E4-4C34-A64C-35B048B16A28.jpeg

Today was breathtaking. We spent some time at a church today which was constructed in the 4th century.
4152222B-708B-44F4-B912-D81D5456E1DC.jpeg
8136A393-B6E1-4240-BAAD-C78D0B4B4142.jpeg
We then moved onto the Roman ruins at the archeological park. The recovered and restored mosaics.
6ADFF22C-A5D9-412E-9F49-D6DFF9116603.jpeg
57464E4B-E79C-4823-A0AF-F40043787B65.jpeg
An aside. In one place the mosaics are protected with a purpose built structure. A touring group of Italians arrived before us and wouldn’t get out of the way. I was picking up a little of the commentary and these people were waxing lyrical that the mosaics were created by Romans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it’s our last day in Paphos. We’ve arranged for a ride back to Larnaca where we’ve booked to stay the night. We fly back to Melbourne tomorrow via Doha.

I’ve give Paphos an 8/10.

I’ve taken off a point for the weather. No respite in the dry tropics. It’s hot and humid all the time. Cool change nowhere in sight.

I’ve taken another point off because of our inexperience in some circumstances. Watch out for some of the eateries. Push stuff, ridiculous cost for main courses etc. I’ve coupled this with some rude customer servants at places we visited in our travels.

The history is amazing and the sites are accessible (but dusty). The Mediterranean is at your doorstep so if relaxing and swimming is your thing Paphos is great. If you like sitting in a bar drinking beverages and watching sport then Paphos has plenty.

Food is always difficult without local knowledge. I’d suggest gyros (which is a kebab) as it's good tucker after a few beers. I understand meze is the local version of tapas. So you get to sample the local food this way. You have a better chance of controlling amounts with this option as well (and cost). Ice cream (gelato) is great and not too expensive.

I’m a beer drinker and the local beers are Keo and Leon. Both very drinkable.

We came for a wedding which took place in a village in the hills behind Paphos. Based on this experience I’d suggest you get out of town for a look.

37D662C5-02A5-4563-B7D7-BEF681AB7A32.jpeg
There are lots of cats in Paphos. I understand they were introduced to get rid of the snakes. It didn’t work. The cats are more laid back that their Australian cousins but as I said it’s very hot. I had this huge moggy for company last night. A restaurant cat and huge despite the ‘don’t feed the cats’ sign. Didn’t take any of my food but was quite happy with the pats.

If you get the chance to visit Cyprus I’d recommend it.

We’re about to leave our hotel and head home.

If you ever visit Greece or Cyprus here is a quick guide to sound like a local. It was on our table at the wedding.

View attachment 563877
Yassou Cyprus. Efharisto.

No guides needed for moi.

I fit in like a local when in Greece. :p

No guides needed for moi.

I fit in like a local when in Greece. :p
I was in Italy with my mum and we were walking around the coliseum. A tout stopped us and Mum started chatting to him in Italian. We kept walking and another guy approached us. The first guy shouted at him in Italian. I asked mum to translate and she said “Leave her alone she’s a local”.

We landed in Melbourne just before 6pm yesterday. Stopped in for a pizza before getting home a couple of hours later. Had a busy but memorable trip. I hope you enjoyed my posts and photos. I certainly like doing that sort of stuff. Just PM if you want to know more. Shout out to you all for making me feel wanted.

My son is flying over the Pacific Ocean at the moment and will land in Melbourne at 8.30 in the morning. He’s been away since early July and, after a short tour around the US, has been living in Montreal. The family is pretty excited. He’s back for a couple of weeks before he flies back to Canada.

My son is flying over the Pacific Ocean at the moment and will land in Melbourne at 8.30 in the morning. He’s been away since early July and, after a short tour around the US, has been living in Montreal. The family is pretty excited. He’s back for a couple of weeks before he flies back to Canada.

What does son do in Canada . Job ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back