The Pies deserve all the credit... give it to them here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hats off to the Pies, played a blinder. Not only speed and pressure, but so clean with the ball, it was scary. Seemed to be marking everything. DeGoey had a ripper, Sidebottom looked untouchable and enough has been said about Cox, finally sticking it. Richmond's lack of talls may have played a role but still good effort for a bloke new to the game. Grundy, Taylor, Treloar, Aish, Varcoe, Mihocek all great workhorses too.

Will be tough to beat next week, but like Richmond, they aren't invicible either, and let's hope either we or the Dees find a way.

That's a huge load of bollocks. Our game style does not look anything like Richmond's. The only people who say this are Bruce McAvaney and people who think he knows anything. Look at the stats for yourself and see the differences in the key ones all year. Not even close!
Agreed

And its a far more attractive brand than the Richmond crash forward scrum

Strange old night. I watched Sidebottom run amok in his TAC Cup Grand Final (while secretly hoping for a miracle that would see him come to Essendon) & here he is again, not kicking goals this time but still having a huge influence in a final, great performance, easily BOG for mine. Honourable mention goes out to Mayne, looking very reliable now & his influence down back shouldn't be underestimated. Pies going to take some beating next week.

Incredible effort from the entire club... Eddie cops a lot of flack but he stuck by his man last season and has been rewarded...what buckley has done this season is nothing short of a miracle and good on him...you can see how much the players love him and want to play for him...to make the gf with the injuries they suffered and with a team that includes chris mayne, brodie mihocek, james aish and mason cox is utterly embarrassing for the 16 other clubs that didn't make it...IF they manage to win next week, it will easily trump what the tigers did last year and what the dogs did in 2016...

Well played pies, a great preformance.
Outcoached and outplayed us.
Good luck to Goldsack he’s been a player I’ve always rated over the years.
Just goes to show your only as good as the opposition lets you play.

Having never played footy I struggle sometimes with game plan / structure analysis (despite watching a lot of footy!).

The media don't help. Last night a commentator said the Pies beat Richmond at their own game and I was like what, that looked like a totally different approach (more handballs and willingness to run & carry)? But I'm left doubting myself.
Hey.

So essentially what Richmond really excel at is the following;

-Strong zone defence
-Provision of link up players from HB to HF
-Excessive forward pressure

Last night Collingwood were able to pressure their midfield so much that their forward entries were scattered and the zone worked. Richmond struggled to institute their zone because Collingwood provided direct and clean forward entries to a traditional FF.

The only thing Collingwood did was pressure, harass, zone well and impact Richmond’s forward supply. The media don’t know what they are on about when they say they beat them at their own game, Collingwood used a traditional forward target with success whereby Richmond rely on swarming the forward line and pressuring to create goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies were very impressive. I unfortunatly predicted this back in round 4 when they beat Adelaide. Had a little sneaky premiership bet on them at the 51’s. Basically looked like they had implemented Richmond’s game plan but with what I would consider a better list

Pies were very impressive. I unfortunatly predicted this back in round 4 when they beat Adelaide. Had a little sneaky premiership bet on them at the 51’s. Basically looked like they had implemented Richmond’s game plan but with what I would consider a better list

Funny, isn't it. I think win or lose next week, Richmond fans just about have to let go of Treloar's comments after last night.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but with all due respect, have you been listening to Bruce McAvaney? Have a look at the stats for the two sides and come back and tell me we play Richmond's game plan. They are poles apart and that's why we won.

Ah, yes it will. WC or Melbourne will provide serious competition next week. You’re kidding yourself if you think Collingwood will just walk it in.
I agree.
Buckley made a comment in his presser about how at a couple if stages in the game they drifted from what was working best for them.
He said the way collingwood reacted fuelled the tigers gameplan.
I think that is exactly how they set up to implement their strategy.
To use Richmonds gameplan and predictabilities to launch from.
Their defence is great but the Dees midfield is alot stronger than the tiges
and the old two bears in the square forward line of West coast is different again.
I think if the Dees get to next week and can stay close in the first half their younger legs will play a big part in the second half.
But right now the premiership, it’s really up for grabs.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but with all due respect, have you been listening to Bruce McAvaney? Have a look at the stats for the two sides and come back and tell me we play Richmond's game plan. They are poles apart and that's why we won.
Don’t need to stats to observe the switch from 2017 Collingwood to 2018

I agree.
Buckley made a comment in his presser about how at a couple if stages in the game they drifted from what was working best for them.
He said the way collingwood reacted fuelled the tigers gameplan.
I think that is exactly how they set up to implement their strategy.
To use Richmonds gameplan and predictabilities to launch from.
Their defence is great but the Dees midfield is alot stronger than the tiges
and the old two bears in the square forward line of West coast is different again.
I think if the Dees get to next week and can stay close in the first half their younger legs will play a big part in the second half.
But right now the premiership, it’s really up for grabs.
Pies hard to stop now

Don’t need to stats to observe the switch from 2017 Collingwood to 2018
But if you're suggesting that we play anything like Richmond's game plan you've got it wrong and the stats make it obvious. Only know nothings like McAvaney think that and he has already been corrected many times.

I hate Collingwood as much as the next non-Pies supporter but yes, they were magnificent last night. That pressure level was off the scale. My dislike of Buckley has finally mellowed. He got karma for deserting the Bears but I think he’s done his time and deserves a flag as a coach. Still enjoy seeing Ed’s head explode though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back