Toast Proud of the club in season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Proud for throwing away the only year we have been the best team and burning probably our last chance to win a flag for probably a decafe at least.

Our performance would have been something to be proud of if it was this time last year. For a team that finishes so far on top, a close grand final loss is the absolute minimum. Premiership windows are only ever a year or two long (unless you're a Brisbane or hawthorn 3peat quality team) and the club just burned it with a pathetic display on and off the field.

Proud for throwing away the only year we have been the best team and burning probably our last chance to win a flag for probably a decafe at least.

Our performance would have been something to be proud of if it was this time last year. For a team that finishes so far on top, a close grand final loss is the absolute minimum. Premiership windows are only ever a year or two long (unless you're a Brisbane or hawthorn 3peat quality team) and the club just burned it with a pathetic display on and off the field.
What !!!!

What !!!!
Being proud is for a club which overachieves. Ours was the best club by a fair way this year, yet stuffed around experimenting and playing bruise free footy for the last month, went into the finals in horrid form and put in one of the most pathetic prelim performances from a top club ever.

The club got complacent and paid the price. I can't be proud of that.

This...

...and this...
Being proud is for a club which overachieves. Ours was the best club by a fair way this year, yet stuffed around experimenting and playing bruise free footy for the last month, went into the finals in horrid form and put in one of the most pathetic prelim performances from a top club ever.

The club got complacent and paid the price. I can't be proud of that.
...is exactly how I feel too.

I don't want to, and I've tried to put it behind me, or take a step back and look at it objectively...but I just can't. Losing after giving everything is tough, but you can accept that and even applaud the effort. Allowing an inferior team to walk all over you and just waltz into a grand final is something else entirely.

Two days later and I'm still f**king seething.

This...

...and this...

I don't want to, and I've tried to put it behind me, or take a step back and look at it objectively...but I just can't. Losing after giving everything is tough, but you can accept that and even applaud the effort. Allowing an inferior team to walk all over you and just waltz into a grand final is something else entirely.

Hoos watch GG. It will make you feel better and forget about Friday night!

This...

...and this...

Luckily for 2017 I would be a lot more angrier , although I’m still pretty pissed off we should have at least made the GF 100% . I think what makes it a bit worse is we were hot favs to win the flag , top of ladder etc and media kept talking us until far to much , comments like “ It’s Richmond then daylight “

A tad harsh, but I don’t necessarily disagree. It was fun watching us win every week in the regular season, but the only game that actually counted where there were real stakes, we blew it. Has to go down as a wasted opportunity and a lost chance. The further we get from Friday the more disappointed I feel. Felt like the club in general, both AFL and Vfl sides, thought the job was done once we secured TOP 2. We dropped the ball when other clubs were gearing up. Hope the players learn from this experience and realise that the real season starts in September

A great year but an even greater opportunity lost..! Flag was ours to lose and that we did....!
hopefully players use this as a motivation to be ruthless nxt season.

and please no minor premiership.......seems to be a curse....!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a good year with one poor half to finish.

Lot to learn from 2018. Our best is the best. We have genuine problems against top quality rucks and a super tall forward that had his best game ever. Really good midfields can get us if we aren't full on. We are as susceptible to total pressure as other teams.

Tom Lynch will help I think. But the big thing is to change up what we do just a little to deal with our weaknesses. We are close to a great 2019 - and 2018 can teach us to be a the best again.

Massive overreaction

We have blown a massive chance and I hope the club manages it appropriately. We were playing bad football when it mattered and we had a pile of injuries that didn't help. Butler and Towno would have made a difference along with BEllis. Astbury and Martin shouldn't have played and perhaps Lambert and Graham in that boat but we had no depth to cover them. Conca and Short were very very poor along with a host of others that were well down on output. We were 21 points down in the last with a sniff but once again a momentum killer appeared with an unnecessary tackle from Grigg and a lucky goal to treloar. A horror movie was what Friday night was.

Its a little premature mate, If we fall off the cliff next year and the desires no longer there then yes this point needs to be made then.

I'm disappointed in the result. I'd say everyone is. But am incredibly proud of the way the boys/club went about their business. Current & future culture is in very good hands.... Hopefully the pattern set in the late 60's & 70's is about to roll again?....

2018 is the only year I've gone to Richmond games confident, trusting the team to turn up and play our style of footy. Of course, wins are more fun than losses, but for me, all I really want from my Tigers is to trust that they will show up, whoever the opposition is, whatever the scoreboard says.

I got that more times in 2018 than maybe the rest of my adult life combined. My thanks to the club, the players and the coaches for that.

I'm still disappointed but I've felt worse. This is not worse than a spoon. It's not worse than losing to Carlton. It's not worse than dropping an EF to Norf.

Anyone else still not moved on, lol.

I don't think I feel the same anger as you mate, but my disappointment is still just as sharp.

They broke my trust. This season, I trusted them to turn up and play our style of footy, whoever the opposition, whatever the scoreboard. Riewoldt knocked out by a dog act in the first quarter - no worries! We'll fight and fight and win!

Well, that's gone now. I'll turning up in the pre-season with that old feeling that I could well be leaving the game gutted.

Case in point...

I hope so. I just hope it isn't glossed over as "one of those games". There's a few holes there that need fixing, and Lynch alone won't do it.

I'm genuinely worried that the club thinks one tall forward will fix everything. That messiah complex ****ed us for decades.

We need all 22 of our 22 Tigers to be more aggressive, skilled and smart than the opposition, every week.

I hope I'm just paranoid. The club really is better run these days.

2018 is the only year I've gone to Richmond games confident, trusting the team to turn up and play our style of footy. Of course, wins are more fun than losses, but for me, all I really want from my Tigers is to trust that they will show up, whoever the opposition is, whatever the scoreboard says.

I got that more times in 2018 than maybe the rest of my adult life combined. My thanks to the club, the players and the coaches for that.

I'm still disappointed but I've felt worse. This is not worse than a spoon. It's not worse than losing to Carlton. It's not worse than dropping an EF to Norf.
It was pretty bad. Personally the last 5 minutes of the game were about as bad as it gets. I still can't believe we let Collingwood into the GF. But its somewhat softened by last year, and overall as you suggest, this has been the best year in my life to be a Richmond supporter. Spent the whole season floating and we seemed to just win every week. Far cry from going to games expecting to lose and being happy with being in front at some point.

Have just uncurled from the foetal position that I have been in since Friday night... no TV, radio, internet or papers.
This loss was very, very hard to take. The wins against our traditional Victorian rivals are so much sweeter and the losses so bitter.
However, life goes on and the Richmond Football Club will also go on.
Am I proud of the way we went about our premiership defence over the 2018 season? ****ing oath I am.
Am I proud of the way we went about our preliminary final against Collingwood? Of course not.
Full marks to Collingwood as on the night they were too good and we had our worst performance for a long time... bitterly disappointing.
As always, it's how we respond that will tell the full story.
We still have the nucleus of a very strong team and I fully expect us to be a serious contender in 2019.

They broke my trust. This season, I trusted them to turn up and play our style of footy, whoever the opposition, whatever the scoreboard. Riewoldt knocked out by a dog act in the first quarter - no worries! We'll fight and fight and win!

Well, that's gone now. I'll turning up in the pre-season with that old feeling that I could well be leaving the game gutted.
Yeah, me too. My trust in the way our guys play returned after a very long absence, pretty early last season. And aside from a couple of blips, it was strong all the way through until last week. It's gone now. They've got to earn it all over again.
I'm genuinely worried that the club thinks one tall forward will fix everything. That messiah complex ****** us for decades.

We need all 22 of our 22 Tigers to be more aggressive, skilled and smart than the opposition, every week.

I hope I'm just paranoid. The club really is better run these days.
Funnily enough, and as pessimistic as I am, I think the footy department knows that Lynch on his own won't be enough. For some reason, that bit of trust is still there. Just. It's the players and coaches learning from their mistakes that I don't trust. They keep saying they do. Hopefully they will.

They certainly didn't this year.

Yeah, me too. My trust in the way our guys play returned after a very long absence, pretty early last season. And aside from a couple of blips, it was strong all the way through until last week. It's gone now. They've got to earn it all over again.

Funnily enough, and as pessimistic as I am, I think the footy department knows that Lynch on his own won't be enough. For some reason, that bit of trust is still there. Just. It's the players and coaches learning from their mistakes that I don't trust. They keep saying they do. Hopefully they will.

They certainly didn't this year.

I didn’t think we would go back to back unless we played at our best and through the season I think we showed we did and was getting pretty confident of it then happening , however those last games we played I was starting to get a bit worried as even though we were winning we let sides back in to easily , cats , druggos , dogs , a lot of people thought we had the extra gear and I was hoping they were right and was just being a worrier . I actually thought we would beat the pies if they performed like they did against GWS but we just rolled over in the first half and let them dominate , I actuslly didn’t think this team would ever allow that to happen to them again and totally thought that was no longer the Richmond way , but unfortunately I was wrong and it reminded me of 2016 again . They showed fight in the second half but far to late I don’t get why they didn’t come out like that in the first half .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back