2018 VFL season

Remove this Banner Ad

Great news for them for sure. Concerns me as a Coburg man though, we're getting further and further left behind with no pokies.
Think it's time to cut our losses and go to the EDFL.

Think it's time to cut our losses and go to the EDFL.

I wouldn't be pushing that angle quite yet. While a winning season would be nice the objective should be to remain at this level as long as we can. Off-field I'm confident with the work Sebastian and co are doing we'll be able to stay afloat at the very least. Particularly the work the club has been doing orienting towards the Northern corridor given the virtual abandonment of the area by Preston. Lots to play out in that space.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be pushing that angle quite yet. While a winning season would be nice the objective should be to remain at this level as long as we can. Off-field I'm confident with the work Sebastian and co are doing we'll be able to stay afloat at the very least.
They're doing a stellar job off field, definitely. But we're largely uncompetitive on field and it will take a toll. VAFA, WDFL and EDFL are genuine options that should be explored imo

They're doing a stellar job off field, definitely. But we're largely uncompetitive on field and it will take a toll. VAFA, WDFL and EDFL are genuine options that should be explored imo

Definitely, everything needs to be looked at, just fear once you take that step there's no turning back. Would be a shame to be in the spot Prahran are now (which is obviously preferable to being dead! though!)

Perhaps Coburg's direction lays further north at Craigieburn. The facilities at Highgate are decent and sponsorship up there is much easier to obtain. Linking further with Calder Cannons will also help.

Not a chance. The majority of our current home crowds are locals in groups of mates like me who either walk or take PT to have a beer at the game or local parents and their kids. There would be no home support at Craigieburn at all. The ground is in the middle of nowhere even by Craigieburn standards. No PT access, the club would fold after 10 rounds. Our future is in the inner north or not at all.

Last edited:
Not a chance. The majority of our current home crowds are locals in groups of mates like me who either walk or take PT to have a beer at the game or local parents and their kids. There would be no home support at Craigieburn at all. The ground is in the middle of nowhere even by Craigieburn standards. No PT access, the club would fold after 10 rounds. Our future is in the inner north or not at all.
Well we're losing all our good players by the dozen. Goodwin, Hish have both moved. We're screwed for next year.

Well we're losing all our good players by the dozen. Goodwin, Hish have both moved. We're screwed for next year.

Goodwin is locked and loaded at the the Borough too which adds salt to the wound. Next year will probably be another write off like this year, I think the focus needs to be on the off field again. Get ourselves into a position to be able to recruit. I don't think we can hope for much better than 2 or 3 wins.

Goodwin is locked and loaded at the the Borough too which adds salt to the wound. Next year will probably be another write off like this year, I think the focus needs to be on the off field again. Get ourselves into a position to be able to recruit. I don't think we can hope for much better than 2 or 3 wins.

Without a 12-10 or similar points system it's getting increasingly harder for middle range standalone clubs to compete

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 standalone clubs in the VFL have no pokies revenue. Coburg and Frankston....and where did they finish on the ladder?
So you can point the finger at the off field all you like but let's hope that you are a paid up member of the club and you've also spoken to your friends or family that are in business to see if they'd like to jump in and help the club that you support. Even a low level sponsorship of around $800 would help them i'm sure.

Not sure about Frankston's issues, but Coburg are based in an area where footy is no longer number 1 in local households....it's a battle they must address by researching relocation options. They are impacted further by the fact that 12 years of their history was removed during the Richmond aligned years. In that 12 years, local teams full of juniors have thrived by offering locals a "community" club....rather than an AFL club that does not value the community that theyve dumped their two's in.
Time for people to show they care about their VFL club in Coburg...or don't complain when it's either struggling or gone altogether.

Werribee receive over $1million in pokie revenue per year
Williamstown approx $1.5m
Port Melb approx $700k
Someone will correct me i'm sure but these amounts even if $1 dollar is more than Coburg gets from gaming. Coburg is in Moreland which is anti-pokies...Coburg have been blocked time and time again from getting a gaming deal or license.

Coburg needs an injection of $1million to get on track....anyone got a spare mill?

No focus on VFL clubs with pokies the way there is with AFL clubs!

2 standalone clubs in the VFL have no pokies revenue. Coburg and Frankston....and where did they finish on the ladder?
So you can point the finger at the off field all you like but let's hope that you are a paid up member of the club and you've also spoken to your friends or family that are in business to see if they'd like to jump in and help the club that you support. Even a low level sponsorship of around $800 would help them i'm sure.

Not sure about Frankston's issues, but Coburg are based in an area where footy is no longer number 1 in local households....it's a battle they must address by researching relocation options. They are impacted further by the fact that 12 years of their history was removed during the Richmond aligned years. In that 12 years, local teams full of juniors have thrived by offering locals a "community" club....rather than an AFL club that does not value the community that theyve dumped their two's in.
Time for people to show they care about their VFL club in Coburg...or don't complain when it's either struggling or gone altogether.

Werribee receive over $1million in pokie revenue per year
Williamstown approx $1.5m
Port Melb approx $700k
Someone will correct me i'm sure but these amounts even if $1 dollar is more than Coburg gets from gaming. Coburg is in Moreland which is anti-pokies...Coburg have been blocked time and time again from getting a gaming deal or license.

Coburg needs an injection of $1million to get on track....anyone got a spare mill?

No focus on VFL clubs with pokies the way there is with AFL clubs!

Given the above issues, maybe you could give an opinion on the value of the imminent return of the 'Tassie Devils' to the VFL. The last time the Devils played, footy here had some idea that the direction would lead us into the AFL at some stage. That ended with the North Melbn amalgamation which ended up killing the club.

Do you think their is any point in their return?

Do you think the costs would warrant it, both for the Devils & for VFL clubs.

What do you think is the future of the VFL? AFL clubs want their 2s back & they dont seem to have the same approach to the league as the stand alone seem to.

Interested in your thoughts.

Given the above issues, maybe you could give an opinion on the value of the imminent return of the 'Tassie Devils' to the VFL. The last time the Devils played, footy here had some idea that the direction would lead us into the AFL at some stage. That ended with the North Melbn amalgamation which ended up killing the club.

What do you think is the future of the VFL? AFL clubs want their 2s back & they dont seem to have the same approach to the league as the stand alone seem to.

I think it's good for Tasmanian football honestly. I'm pretty sure AFL Vic will cover the costs for teams like Coburg and Frankston to travel down there, as I believe it would be a hefty cost for those sides to travel interstate.

As for the future of the VFL, I think it's dying. Players don't want to play for teams like Coburg, they want to play for AFL reserves teams or the likes of Port and Williamstown.

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone or anything, good work is being done off field. Definitely wouldn't feel as if I had the right to comment on anything if I wasn't a paid up member who is upping my financial commitment for next season. The club is pushing hard to get members to seek out new sponsors which is a positive, as you said every buck helps.

Tassie in the VFL is fine, I'd support them coming in and making it a 16 team comp. If they had 9 home and 9 away games I bet you that their 9 home games would be against AFL aligned VFL clubs and they'd play the VFL standalone sides away only. There is no way that any of the 5 VFL standalone clubs could afford to fly 50 players and staff to Tassie and pay for a night or two's accom too. The AFL clubs can afford that and will have to foot those travel bills.

Tassie in the VFL is fine, I'd support them coming in and making it a 16 team comp. If they had 9 home and 9 away games I bet you that their 9 home games would be against AFL aligned VFL clubs and they'd play the VFL standalone sides away only. There is no way that any of the 5 VFL standalone clubs could afford to fly 50 players and staff to Tassie and pay for a night or two's accom too. The AFL clubs can afford that and will have to foot those travel bills.

Like the AFL clubs, Tassie would only have one team. so a travel group of about 30 of so. Like last time I guess.

As much as I enjoy the VFL, in fact I prefer the VFL over the AFL in terms of a genuine game day experience... I am feeling more and more distanced from the league with the mix of teams and if they are affiliated with an AFL club or not. To me, it is really starting to feel messy and not something that feels very important in terms of investing time or money into at all. It looks like it's in no-mans-land.

The profession, spectacle and the way one can relate to the players of the VFL is the perfect medium IMO. But the way it currently is, I think many will feel more comfortable lowering their support towards a local league or biting the bullet and investing themselves fully in the AFL. I think the VFL needs a heavy clean up in order for it to connect truly to the people.

As much as I enjoy the VFL, in fact I prefer the VFL over the AFL in terms of a genuine game day experience... I am feeling more and more distanced from the league with the mix of teams and if they are affiliated with an AFL club or not. To me, it is really starting to feel messy and not something that feels very important in terms of investing time or money into at all. It looks like it's in no-mans-land.

The profession, spectacle and the way one can relate to the players of the VFL is the perfect medium IMO. But the way it currently is, I think many will feel more comfortable lowering their support towards a local league or biting the bullet and investing themselves fully in the AFL. I think the VFL needs a heavy clean up in order for it to connect truly to the people.
Bang on. Hard for me to feel attached to Northern who are my local VFL team when they’re half Carlton. Bullants was a hard nickname too, was great.

Bang on. Hard for me to feel attached to Northern who are my local VFL team when they’re half Carlton. Bullants was a hard nickname too, was great.
The junior team is still called the bullants.

Jump aboard Coburg mate, we're 5 minutes down bell street, local enough and we need all the help we can get. great day out at city oval too

Jump aboard Coburg mate, we're 5 minutes down bell street, local enough and we need all the help we can get. great day out at city oval too
If I had to pick a team it would probably be Werribee since my dad used to take photos of them for the paper, but I support any stand alone teams. All rivalries aside, it’s good to have a day out at the VFL, although I went to more Coburg games than any other this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back