Food & Drink The Hangar Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

cooked last night - tenderest, juiciest bird ever!
ngjnxzzhf2c01.jpg

So I'm making a sugarless chocolate cake for wifey's birthday today and the recipe said to preheat the oven to 160F. Now that's 70C and I thought that doesn't sound hot enough. Sure enough after 45 minutes there aint much happnin so have just upped it to 160 and I guess I'll be flying by the seat of my pants now. What kind of a ******* moron gets F and C mixed up when they're putting themselves out there on the web as some kind of cook? :mad:

So I'm making a sugarless chocolate cake for wifey's birthday today and the recipe said to preheat the oven to 160F. Now that's 70C and I thought that doesn't sound hot enough. Sure enough after 45 minutes there aint much happnin so have just upped it to 160 and I guess I'll be flying by the seat of my pants now. What kind of a ******* moron gets F and C mixed up when they're putting themselves out there on the web as some kind of cook? :mad:

is there even a 70c on the oven? that would be below the warm setting

is there even a 70c on the oven? that would be below the warm setting
I should have googled a few other cake recipes instead of just trusting that someone putting themselves out there as a cook on the internet with a supposed following would know wtf they were talking about. I must be the first person to ever actually try the recipe. I'm now checking every 10 minutes and praying to a god I don't believe in that I haven't totally ****ed it up.

Just waiting for the coals to die down for those steaks and In the meantime I butchered up a Fallow deer leg that I hung for a couple weeks

Before
20180923_134156.jpg
After
20180923_141703.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that bacon around the asparagus? Looks great. How long do you leave those on for?

Proscioutto. But Seranno or any other simmilar cured meat works the same.
Medium to hot heat untill each side is crispy, couple minutes each side witth 3-4 turns. Hard to overcook because you will burn the outer well before the asparagus is cooked.
Medium heat as you would cook an egg sunny side up.

Tefal make good frying pans that aren't stupidly expensive. Have 3 of them.
I grabbed a couple of Tefal "Jamie Oliver" frying pans, pots and a wok when we switched over to an induction cooktop and scoffed when we were given a lifetime guarantee. Almost 3 years later, every piece of that set is almost as it was when we bought it. All pieces have had heavy use whether it be oats for brekky or bits and pieces for the kids dinner etc. Prior to that, we would buy what we thought was good quality non-stick stuff which would need to be tossed a year to 18 months later when the non-stick had gone. Tefal has been really good.

Want to buy a decent frying pan and saucepans any recommendations?
I found this useful https://www.goodfood.com.au/good-li...equipment-conundrums-answered-20180921-h15oi0

Scroll down to see what he says about cast iron pans being best value for money.

We have a range of frypans, from cast iron to a couple of fancy French copper ones to Scanpans to Tefal non-stick. Would agree with Beerfish and Dero that the Tefal ones are good for the price. Our best ones are seasoned cast iron though.

I’ve got a Le Cruset cast iron pan that’s fantastic. Just need to look after it well. Use as little soap as possible. Just wipe with kitchen paper after use if you can get away with it. Don’t need to set the stove too high either. Works best on medium, but being allowed to warm up a bit beforehand.

+1 for cast iron. 1 piece if you can (no wooden handle/rubber grip). Love my Baccarat griddle pan that can go in the oven/under the grill. Has a little spout for pouring also.

Other day we had a cheap cut steak so I seared it, then stuck it in the oven basting it with a butter/pesto/peppercorn spread that my wife had picked up on the cheap. While resting the steak I stuck the pan back on heat, deglazed it with red wine and it made a really tasty sauce.

Last edited:
Chicken Tacos with homemade tortillas, guac and salsa. I had never made tortillas before and bought a tortilla press which worked a treat. Really healthy, gluten-free dish and no oil was used!
And yes, there is some lime in my Corona. 951BA58A-D269-4B51-A8CD-5EDE57E66260.jpeg

Lazyman's Eggplant Parma.

Shamelessly adapted from Yumi's Zero *s Eggplant.

Vegans not invited.

Thinly slice an eggplant into 2-3mm rounds.

Layer half the eggplant over the bottom of a baking tray or shallow baking dish, lined or greased as you see fit.

Slop half a tall jar of passata over, and a handful of shredded or sliced mozzarella.

Layer the rest of the eggplant, top with a responsible dose of prosciutto, slop the rest of the passata over it all.

Bake at 175 for half an hour.

Scatter a good handful of parmesan, breadcrumbs and a grind of black pepper over the top.

Whack under the grill on a million until crispy.

Serve with chips or good bread and a garden salad.

Won't win any prizes for presentation but takes about five minutes of prep and tastes so good you'd have to pay me to bother with schnitzel crumbing again.

Last edited:
have spent forever trying to perfect the go to stir fry that doesn't just end in a turgid mess - week after week id throw whatever I had in the cupboard and fridge in, hoping to nail the perfect combo.. many failed - but I think one succeeded, it blew our heads off last week, so much so I replicated it last night and again. perfect. I think i've nailed our go to stir fry, easy, quick, big flavor.

Ill start by saying i'm not flash with Asian flavours, but I always try to go with the salty sweet sour bitter combo thing (even tho I don't know how to balance them), apparently its the holy grail - hence why ive been guilty of throwing random stuff in hoping for the best - anyhow here tis

chop up some chicken tenders or thigh or breast if its what you have, I try small little pieces, almost like its been ground.

cook it off in a real hot wok then remove it when near cooked.

bit more oil in the wok, hot again - throw in a few chopped birds eye chillis and 4 garlic cloves roughly diced, get it sizzling then ad a splash of rice wine vinegar to stop the garlic burning - then in with a sliced red capsicum, a big hand full of topped and tailed halved green beans and some thin sliced carrots (any veg really, but these are what I had and they worked nice.) kept a nice crunch.

back in with the chicken, add a big splash of soy or tamari, a smaller splash of fish sauce and a big go of oyster sauce, toss it about and make sure it has enough coating, then squeeze in a bit of lime (or lemon) juice and a few sprinkles of brown sugar.

Take it off the heat - toss in a huge bunch of thai basil leaves, like a good 2 cups or so., quickly toss them thru so they start to wilt.

eat.

so full of flavor, everyone knows the chilli thai basil combo is king but its the first time ive been able to make it sing at home.

plus we have a chilli plant and a thai basil bush in the yard, and a lemon try hanging over the back fence , so once you have the 4 bottles and sauces in the fridge its a pretty easy dish to knock up with not much effort or cost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back