Radio 1116 SEN 2024 Line-up

Remove this Banner Ad

I texted in about it , they are all doing it , we know their talking about a footy club.

Exactly , it's doing my head in TW is the worst.

id say watson has him covered.

this very topic was actually discussed on macquarie sports radio a while ago, on a weekend. i think it was mcinness who said we dont refer to teams by their full name including nickname aka richmond tigers, fremantle dockers etc. But in sydney/nrl they often do.

Does MG have a podcast? Because if you listen to the segment between say 6.47-8 there's a conversation between the hosts about heart and soul of a club. Tim Watson said the words "football club" no less than i counted 7 times in a minute. It is like some sort of tick, he keeps saying football club
Don't get me started. :D I've ranted about this before. It's annoying. I reckon Joe Gutnick unintentionally introduced it to the lingo. I remember when he arrived on the scene and saying "the Melbourne Football Club" over and over, and thinking how odd it sounded.

He moves in circles with people who'd know absolutely nothing about footy, so if he says, "I'm going to watch Melbourne today", a lot of them wouldn't know what he meant, so he got in the habit of being more specific.

Then, with many footy people deadshit sheep, they picked it up for some reason. I guess the formality of it makes them feel smart and/or gives their comments more seriousness.

But they are 'football clubs'. Who cares if they use that wording in their vernacular?
Eh, it's verbose and an unnecessary clarification which makes listening to some people tedious. What if they went a little further and started saying, "I work for the Richmond Football Club, established in 1885 at the Royal Hotel"? Like: "I love the Richmond Football Club established in 1885 at the Royal Hotel, and I will ALWAYS love the Richmond Football Club established in 1885 at the Royal Hotel. I would never deliberately do anything to harm the Richmond Football Club established in 1885 at the Royal Hotel." *snooooze*

Your lives must be perfect if this sort of thing actually bothers you. I envy the thought of this being something worthy to complain about to be honest.
Der! :D The great majority of crap discussed on Big Footy - - in fact, on most on the internet - - is about first world problems. You could post this on probably 90% of the threads. You're gunna be busy, so get to work. Go Tiges :straining::thumbsu:

Last edited:

But they are 'football clubs'.

Who cares if they use that wording in their vernacular?

Your lives must be perfect if this sort of thing actually bothers you. I envy the thought of this being something worthy to complain about to be honest.
It's NOT needed we know who their talking about mr perfect.

Never do I miss Finey's Final Siren as much as when Richmond have played like s**t on a Friday night against a rival - especially Collingwood.

Damn that would've been phenomenal radio tonight :(

I understand Pies wore clash jumper for previous WCE clash. I agree there is no clash, however, I wonder if League will force Pies into clash strip or cave in to Eddie? If so KB should be all over this. What is good for Richmond is good for Collngwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As predictable as babies shitting their nappy, Lyon and Watson complaining about the brownlow being a midfielders award. Lyon so salty that his boy Gawn didn't win and umpires shouldn't do the votes. Next minute goes on about how good Brayshaw coming 3rd was. Which is it Gary, you don't rate the brownlow or you do? Don't mention he took Gawn's votes etc.

Not this year , started to cop too much abuse
Imagine that, someone abusing someone else for no reason. How terrible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back