Autopsy 2018 Preliminary Finals: Liked, learnt, hated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lucky we got to face a zero hit wonder in September last year
I didn't post what I did to trigger Richmond fans. But the truth did exactly that.

We've won grandfinals interstate. You havnt . We've won grand finals against team playing in thier home state you havnt.

Your retort is immature and reflects poorly on the decent Richmond fans hurting that the house of straw fell down.

It was always going to happen after your coach lost his temper in round 2 when encountered with the truth about you can't win outside Victoria.

I didn't post what I did to trigger Richmond fans. But the truth did exactly that.

We've won grandfinals interstate. You havnt . We've won grand finals against team playing in thier home state you havnt.

Your retort is immature and reflects poorly on the decent Richmond fans hurting that the house of straw fell down.

It was always going to happen after your coach lost his temper in round 2 when encountered with the truth about you can't win outside Victoria.
Our interstate ability didn't undo us - we still finished top regardless and we lost at the MCG.
I take exception to people labelling us 'one hit wonders'. Does a team have to go back to back in order to not get that label? Geelong 07, 09, 11. Amazing that they were able to be one hit wonders in 3 separate years.
We made a prelim ffs. If we drop out of the 8 next year, maybe its called for, but we're still clearly one of the best sides in the league and incredibly well placed to go again. How does that constitute a 'one hit wonder'?

Liked: Two top 4 teams in the GF
Learned: AFL + USA = WWE
Hated: Modern footy's set-ups that now make it very difficult to catch up after falling 4-5 goals behind as Melbourne and Collingwood did, which lead to 2 boring Prelims (maybe excepting 15-20 minutes where the Tige's had a crack)
Granted friday wasn't close for a large part of the game, but boring it certainly was not! That first half was the most shocking /exciting half of football of the season.

Our interstate ability didn't undo us - we still finished top regardless and we lost at the MCG.
I take exception to people labelling us 'one hit wonders'. Does a team have to go back to back in order to not get that label? Geelong 07, 09, 11. Amazing that they were able to be one hit wonders in 3 separate years.
We made a prelim ffs. If we drop out of the 8 next year, maybe its called for, but we're still clearly one of the best sides in the league and incredibly well placed to go again. How does that constitute a 'one hit wonder'?
Yah, can't call the tiges one hit wonders. Backed up years of finals with a flag, then a minor premiership and a prelim. Even if they drift away now (which they won't), it's actually a pretty standard flag run.

Nice post.

This week has highlighted just how hard it is to win one flag, and how hard it is to go back to back. Don't play well enough in H&A and you won't make the eight or be in a competitive position in September. Play well in H&A and then screw up one in a series of four games max, and you're buggered.

That's the beauty of our league and others that employ finals as opposed to ones like the EPL. The regular season means something (positioning yourself for finals) but finals are so thrilling because everything is on the line. Would not have it any other way.

Absolutely. That's why i find it funny when a team is going well at the start of the season, and people say "peaking too early" or "you don't win premierships in May". Very few teams ever can choose the right time to step it up a gear on command at finals (only Hawks and Lions three-peat teams really come to mind). The mortal teams need to capitalise on their form when it comes to get the wins needed to get those home finals / double chance, and then hope that the form is there again at finals time.

Yah, can't call the tiges one hit wonders. Backed up years of finals with a flag, then a minor premiership and a prelim. Even if they drift away now (which they won't), it's actually a pretty standard flag run.
People will say it, but people say lots of silly things. You are right, you've had a great season. I disagree with people who think premierships are the only thing that matters. My best memories of watching pies in terms of how good they were was 2011 when we lost, rather than 2010 when we won. We were ridiculously good that year, and i got so much joy going to those games throughout the season, and doubt I will ever see them dominate like that again. I'm sure you would feel the same about the tigers this year, you've seen some great wins. Sure beats turning up and seeing your team smashed week in and week out!

People will say it, but people say lots of silly things. You are right, you've had a great season. I disagree with people who think premierships are the only thing that matters. My best memories of watching pies in terms of how good they were was 2011 when we lost, rather than 2010 when we won. We were ridiculously good that year, and i got so much joy going to those games throughout the season, and doubt I will ever see them dominate like that again. I'm sure you would feel the same about the tigers this year, you've seen some great wins. Sure beats turning up and seeing your team smashed week in and week out!
Sorry SloppyJoe - thought you were the tigers supporter. I see it was harrythetiger.
All the best for Saturday!

Liked - Josh Kennedy making a statement with his 4 goals in the first half and 15 goals from our forwards generally. I think this is the best WCE forwardline weve ever had. Also Big Cox on the end of some beautiful delivery and taking it at perhaps the highest trajectory ever seen in the AFL?

Learned - while Collingwood is the real deal, perhaps Richmonds soft draw and zero injuries made then a tad complacent?

Hated - yet again the higher ranked interstate team stiffed by the AFL with home ground advantage ceded and a day less time to recover for the GF. Against the team it beat in the qualifying final... Its pathetic and everyone knows it.
The extra day recovery is a bit harsh to be upset about as Richmond were seeded higher and therefore expected to win and get the recovery.

I wouldn’t have been upset for you to have had the Friday night final though to even the travel burden a bit, but that’s a different argument.

Liked: Eagles flogging Melbourne and denying them any opportunity to play well.
Richmond being shown as the pretenders they are by a young Collingwood side that had no right to beat them.

Learnt: Simpson is a good coach and could be a champion coach.
Collingwood is better than I thought.

Hated: Vic media and Victorian giving us no chance. Grand final played at the MCG when it should be in Perth or a neutral venue.
Enjoying the Vic media giving you no chance. Sentiment swings the other way and all of a sudden the bookies have you undeserved underdogs despite beating us twice, including by six goals at the ground we’ll play at this week.

Common sense dictates you’d look at loading up at those odds.

I'm exactly the same with 2008. That was my favourite year watching the Cats for sure.

Absolutely. That's why i find it funny when a team is going well at the start of the season, and people say "peaking too early" or "you don't win premierships in May". Very few teams ever can choose the right time to step it up a gear on command at finals (only Hawks and Lions three-peat teams really come to mind). The mortal teams need to capitalise on their form when it comes to get the wins needed to get those home finals / double chance, and then hope that the form is there again at finals time.
Will never forget the roller coaster of last year. We started well but there was an undercurrent of anxiety that you don't win the flag if you're too good too early. Then we were a very suspect side in the middle rounds, then looked good, then looked a bit shaky (but I was keen to point out that sides who go into the GF on long winning streaks tend to lose). Then we looked good for the first two finals, then we shat our pants in the granny. FMD that was a ride.

It's part of the romance and build up - a long season followed by just a couple of cut-throat matches, culminating in The Big One where reputations are made or shattered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked, Learnt and Hated is a bit more of a personal reflection for mine:

Liked: What Collingwood brought to the kitchen. They were fierce, unrelenting and switched on. Exactly what you'd want your team to be. We were not.
Liked: The atmosphere at the MCG was incredible.

Learnt: There are no longer genuine premiership favourites in the AFL.

Hated: This on a personal basis, but I think of how many of Friday night's crowd will not get a GF ticket, and how that was me last year.
Since I was able to afford a club membership in 2012, I would say I've been to roughly 15+ games a year.
Went to every final except the 2014 Port Adelaide final and the grand final last year.

Sat there in silent shock on Friday night, but managed to look around and although 1000's upon 1000's of Collingwood fans were up, loud and boisterous, I could see that they'd ridden a lot of the bumps along the way, and that they were experiencing what we had 12 months earlier, but knowing also, that for many of them, tonight was it for them, there'd be no grand final ticket.

Making my way home via Metro, within an hour of the game finishing, I got a message from a friend of mine who I went to uni with, who happens to be a Collingwood supporter. He said bad luck tonight, and by the way, do you think there is any chance you could find me a grand final ticket?

Call it bad timing, call it insensitivity, but I thought back to last year, missing out on a ticket and told him a truth.

I replied with:
Sorry? You attended 0 games through the year,
You attended 0 of your lead up finals,
You are not a Collingwood member (hence the request), and have not contributed any investment toward the Collingwood FC.
What makes you think you are entitled to a grand final ticket?

Really struck a nerve with me.

Enjoying the Vic media giving you no chance. Sentiment swings the other way and all of a sudden the bookies have you undeserved underdogs despite beating us twice, including by six goals at the ground we’ll play at this week.

Common sense dictates you’d look at loading up at those odds.
You are correct. And it happened this past week as well.
WCE still aren't rated by many in Victoria, especially the media and that's fine, it will just make it all the sweeter to stick it up em if we win on Saturday. Im confident we will.
One thing I will take from this year regardless of the GF result is that both WCE and Collingwood have had exceptional years that both fan bases can take a lot of pride in. They have both overcome significant adversity/injury concerns to get to the big dance.

You are correct. And it happened this past week as well.
WCE still aren't rated by many in Victoria, especially the media and that's fine, it will just make it all the sweeter to stick it up em if we win on Saturday. Im confident we will.
One thing I will take from this year regardless of the GF result is that both WCE and Collingwood have had exceptional years that both fan bases can take a lot of pride in. They have both overcome significant adversity/injury concerns to get to the big dance.
It’s an interesting clash for mine as both have key players approaching the twilight phase of their careers but then also a number that are looking like up and coming potential stars. Looking forward I’m concerned about our key defensive stocks, particularly if Moore was to leave. Dunn and Goldsack are both 30+ and the options below them leave us horrifically exposed.

I hope we take the chance with two hands because you never know if you’ll get back, no matter how talented and promising you look. I’m sure West Coast will approach this the same way, with no thought for who is in the stands. No doubt Nic Nat and Gaff strengthen you, but the fact remains the best opportunity is now and not some point in the future when they’re in the side.

Good luck this week, the winner will deserve it.

Nice post.

This week has highlighted just how hard it is to win one flag, and how hard it is to go back to back. Don't play well enough in H&A and you won't make the eight or be in a competitive position in September. Play well in H&A and then screw up one in a series of four games max, and you're buggered.

That's the beauty of our league and others that employ finals as opposed to ones like the EPL. The regular season means something (positioning yourself for finals) but finals are so thrilling because everything is on the line. Would not have it any other way.
Well I would love for us to employ an EPL system just for this season :p

But I agree with you in general. Finals are so thrilling and the most composed, physical and switched on side wins the Premiership in circumstances where the pressure elevates physically and mentally. It wasn't Richmond this year, but maybe next year!

I hope we take the chance with two hands because you never know if you’ll get back, no matter how talented and promising you look. I’m sure West Coast will approach this the same way, with no thought for who is in the stands. No doubt Nic Nat and Gaff strengthen you, but the fact remains the best opportunity is now and not some point in the future when they’re in the side.
This is the critical point about grand finals. It may look like there is always next year, but before you know it you could be in the wilderness for decades. In an even league, the state of being in flag contention can vanish very quickly.

The extra day recovery is a bit harsh to be upset about as Richmond were seeded higher and therefore expected to win and get the recovery.

I wouldn’t have been upset for you to have had the Friday night final though to even the travel burden a bit, but that’s a different argument.
Agreed an extra day is irrelevant except that the team travelling (ie WCE) deserves a home final. GF should be in Perth. How can it NOT be? Instead shafted twice with away game and less recovery having also had a PF fixtured mid afternoon in mid september on a 28 degree day so that the interstate team could sleep in their own bed after the game. Gill is a knob.

Last edited:
Agreed an extra day is irrelevant except that the team travelling (ie WCE) deserves a home final. GF should be in Perth. Instead shafted twice with away game and less recovery having also had a PF fixtured mid afternoon in mid september on a 28 degree day so that the interstate team could sleep in their own bed after the game. Gill is a knob needs to go.
Agree Gil is a knob. That said, the preliminary finals should always be Friday night/Saturday arvo in my view, and the split was right based on finishing positions. Agree that the Grand Final in an ideal world would be played in Perth this Saturday, and extending the MCG deal was grossly unfair.

Almost everything Gil has done has been done out of self-interest, pigheadedness and delusions of his own importance. I ******* hate the bloke, makes Andy D look almost competent in comparison.

Liked Winning
Learnt not much Already knew the media are s**t Gil is an arse wipe
Hated nothing

WCE sorry but hope you lose this week

Hardwick took exception to the truth when told at an interstate loss " this is not the mcg". He was triggered

You're one hit wonders because it took a manufactured unfair playing field for you last year and this year. Six of your first seven played at the g and six of your last seven played at the g this season . It took this bullshit draw to deliver you a minor premiership

It was our eleventh game on the road when we played in the grandfinal and we were minor premiers.

That's something your current list could never do. No list of yours has ever done We've never bottomed out. Never had priority picks or constant low first round draft picks. Hence why you are one hit wonders. You have so much more going for you than we do yet you fall apart when things are even like against collingwood and like in interstate games.

With the biased the vfl umps give top Victorian teams. One hit wonders

Footscray would not of won thier premiership if not for crooked umpires, hence why the one hit wonder tag fits thems. They also had an unfair advantage playing the grand final in thier home state despite being the lower ranked team.

Like you guys the moment they don't have an unfair advantage and are able to succeed is when the one hit wonder tag is unwarranted

If last years grand final was on a neutral ground you would of got flogged. This is not able to argued rationally

There is no reason why you should of played so badly last week if the one hit wonder tag is not true. You didn't get umpires on your side or home ground advantage.

Your interstate record is pethetic. There is no reigning premier ever with such a poor record in away games

You lost to us in round 2 when we had half a side. You had everything to play for that night after continually hearing after the grand final how easy you had it and all the things that went your way for your flag. You guys buckled in the third quarter. Then went to lose your next three interstate games. Including to hapless port.

Your record at the mcg is remarkable and your brand of footy a treat to watch.

But the one hit wonder tag is real.

You guys should be arguing for neutral umps and something to be done about grand final fiasco that is playing at the g. It takes away from the achievement and joy you long suffering fans have. As seen by hardwick outburst in round 2. Your supporters loyalty after year after year of s**t is honourable. You don't deserve to be hurt with the truth and your achievements tarnished.

It just builds a house of straw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back