Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Had my first attempt at sumo deadlifts this morning. Ground out a 190kg single before my hammies (I think) packed it in

This is what the whole workout looked like

My first ever attempt at Sumo Deadlift

5th September Legs Workout

Mixed Grip Barbell Sumo Deadlift

100kg 1,3
140kg 1
160kg 1
180kg 1
190kg 1 (had to grind this out a bit but got there fairly easily in the end)

Switched to conventional because my hammies were cooked

Mixed Grip Barbell Deadlift

160kg 3,3,3

Barbell Good Mornings 40kg 6,6,6
Barbell Low Bar Back Squat 40kg 10,10,10
Barbell Lunge 20kg 6,6,6

Awesome workout, I ******* love deadlifts. Happy with my first trial of sumo deadlifts.

Would love some decent resources (articles vids etc.) on sumo to get my form down pat a bit

Watched this barbell brigade vid (after the workout, which seems counter intuitive), however I have no idea if the bloke is talking bs or not.

Had my first attempt at sumo deadlifts this morning. Ground out a 190kg single before my hammies (I think) packed it in

This is what the whole workout looked like

Would love some decent resources (articles vids etc.) on sumo to get my form down pat a bit

Watched this barbell brigade vid (after the workout, which seems counter intuitive), however I have no idea if the bloke is talking bs or not.

If you watch enough vids/read enough articles you’ll notice common trends/points that pretty much everyone will allude to. After that it’s largely semantics/personal biases.

For the most part though;
• shins should be vertical or very slightly like this /\
• the closer your hips are to the bar the better
• there’s not as much tolerance for back rounding as there is in the conventional (bar gets caught on your quads)
• the knees should ideally lock out much earlier in the sumo deadlift than conventional
• if you miss anywhere but off the floor your technique probably sucks

If you watch enough vids/read enough articles you’ll notice common trends/points that pretty much everyone will allude to. After that it’s largely semantics/personal biases.

For the most part though;
• shins should be vertical or very slightly like this /\
• the closer your hips are to the bar the better
• there’s not as much tolerance for back rounding as there is in the conventional (bar gets caught on your quads)
• the knees should ideally lock out much earlier in the sumo deadlift than conventional
• if you miss anywhere but off the floor your technique probably sucks

Thanks bro

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on weight belts for squats? I've never worn one and am hoping not to but I've been squatting pretty consistently over the last couple of years since quitting footy. I'm 5'9 and weigh 73 kg and am generally squatting in a pyramid scheme up to about 2 - 3 sets of 115 kg at this stage. I could see that number getting up to roughly 125 in the next couple of months though.

My question is: I've never worn one and I don't feel as though it's restricting me. I don't get any pain. Form is good as far as I've been told. But should I be thinking about wearing one to prevent any issues from arising? Rather than waiting for an issue to come and then work out what to do.
(Also, my preference in general is to hopefully not wear one due to convenience and I must admit I think they may look a little douchey)

Cheers

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on weight belts for squats? I've never worn one and am hoping not to but I've been squatting pretty consistently over the last couple of years since quitting footy. I'm 5'9 and weigh 73 kg and am generally squatting in a pyramid scheme up to about 2 - 3 sets of 115 kg at this stage. I could see that number getting up to roughly 125 in the next couple of months though.

My question is: I've never worn one and I don't feel as though it's restricting me. I don't get any pain. Form is good as far as I've been told. But should I be thinking about wearing one to prevent any issues from arising? Rather than waiting for an issue to come and then work out what to do.
(Also, my preference in general is to hopefully not wear one due to convenience and I must admit I think they may look a little douchey)

Cheers

It’s been discussed a few times on here before (mostly by me haha)
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...d-everything-ii.885110/page-130#post-47425355
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...d-everything-ii.885110/page-130#post-47426871
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...d-everything-ii.885110/page-172#post-53323146

I did 5 reps of 100kg bench press this morning, which is an equal PR and only the second time I've done it in my life.

What I will tell you though is that I've never done it that easily, this dreamer bulk is working like a charm. Incidentally weighed in at 95.7kg this morning (clothed) so my beefcake dreams of triple figures are within reach

Here's the full workout in case anyone cares
14th September Push Workout

Barbell Bench Press

20kg 10,5
60kg 3
80kg 1,1
100kg 5,4,4
80kg 6,6,6

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 26kg each 8,8,6
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 12kg 10,7,6
Cable Cross Overs 30lbs 10,8,6
Dumbbell Bench Press 30kg each 6,4,4

I did 5 reps of 100kg bench press this morning, which is an equal PR and only the second time I've done it in my life.

What I will tell you though is that I've never done it that easily, this dreamer bulk is working like a charm. Incidentally weighed in at 95.7kg this morning (clothed) so my beefcake dreams of triple figures are within reach

Here's the full workout in case anyone cares
100kg bench press on a 100 keg frame.

Livin' the dream. :thumbsu:

I love deadlifts but hate sumo ones. To me they just feel such an unnatural and awkward way of moving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

spread them legs and drop it low

Interestingly on YouTube I found a bunch of ergonomic vids using toddlers as examples of how to pick up items off the floor (encouraging "lift with the legs" and neutral spine).
Problem is they only demonstrated them picking up empty boxes, soft toys etc.
The couple of examples I could find of a toddler picking up something even remotely challenging they looked like how strongmen pick up atlas stones ie virtually straight legs

Not exactly related to the convo above, but I do love this video that went viral a few weeks back

It kinda ties in with the second half of my post about how toddlers lift things being contrary to how many perceive is the most appropriate way to lift things.
I tend to agree with Spina etc in that there is no good or bad way to lift something (and this is definitely a view I’ve changed over the past few years).
Efficient vs inefficient sure, but you could have the worlds ugliest looking deadlift (plenty do) and never get injured as long as what you’re asking your body to do isn’t more than what your body is capable of.

New PB on clean & press last night, 42.5kg, I really want to get to 50kg by the end of the year.

I attempted a 95kg deadlift last week and failed :( Got it off the ground but couldn't pull it above my knees.

I got ahead of myself, need to tone it back to make sure I don't fail my next attempt.

is it just me or was he no where near making that?

At that level there’s a pretty fine line between a make and a miss.
He’s also squatted 500kg before (iirc at the corresponding comp last year) so not like it was a Hail Mary attempt.
Though not at his level, I’ve defibitely been stapled by lifts before then come out and made them next attempt.
A girl I was coaching a few years back missed a weight at a comp then next attempt smoked a lift 5-7.5kg heavier.

Don't have quite as much time committed to lifting atm so I'm giving DUP (daily undulating periodization) a crack for the first time.
In layman's terms it's a full body program where you have separate hypertrophy, power and strength days within a single week (compared to a traditional western program which might have 3-4 week blocks of each).
Of the basic forms of periodization that have been studied it stacks up pretty well against the other forms of periodization.
I found a template online which I've modified a fair bit as (I'll post the template at the bottom of my post)
1) I get bored easily and definitely wouldn't do the same exercise for 6 weeks in a row lol
2) as I rarely squat or bench press for reps over 3 I've dropped the % on the hypertrophy day to build up to the extra reps I'll be required to do
3) my power day will be focused more on plyometrics, jumps, throws etc for footy/skating rather than the barbell lifts (and technically speaking you get higher power production at sub-30% of 1rm rather than the 80%+ in the program I found)

Original template.
The % are of 1 rep max and apply to bench, squat and deadlift which you do 3 times per week (though iirc the original only had them doing deads on the strength day which was a bit odd)
DUP table.jpg

My template.
Power day I'll just make up as I go (basically it'll be 20-25 reps of a plyometric based exercise) and the strength day I'll stick to my traditional Westside Barbell max effort (so a 1rm each week).
I'm not doing any deadlifts for the time being either as my finger is still pretty cactus.
% are higher for the upper body exercise as I can do more reps than lower body exercises.
Will throw in some upper back and hamstrings for accessories. DUP 2 table.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back