• Musician

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Sports star

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Actor

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd go sports star. Number 1 tennis player in the world. Look at Federer. Amassed a fortune of nearly half a Billion through winnings and endorsements.

Very obscure video here. Recorded just a week before it all went down.

John-Lydon-looked-unrecognisable-1018731.jpg

Porky Punk-John Lydon.

Sports. Something like being on PGA tour. Tons of money, travel to nice places, has some longevity, no major injuries, have some anonymity and don’t have to workout like a maniac.

This :thumbsu:

Plus you can still enjoy your skill until you are basically dead dead

Musician is hard work. You have to work at being good so you can make money. Then when you make some money if you make the slightest attempt to make more money you're a sellout. Change your style? This is s**t, go back to your old stuff. Stick with same style? You suck. Every song sounds the same.

Sports star is fickle. Would be fun to be paid millions to play a game, but then your split second decisions are analysed for hours. Make the tiniest * up that has big ramifications and thousands of people instantly hate you. Then 10 years later, if you're lucky, your career is over.

Actor is the real answer. Easy work. Being male means you can be a leading man until you die. Sign me up.

The highs of being a sports star would be the best, ie. kicking a game winning goal, followed by the musician. But overall day to day s**t, it's gotta be actor.

Sports star is fickle. Would be fun to be paid millions to play a game, but then your split second decisions are analysed for hours. Make the tiniest **** up that has big ramifications and thousands of people instantly hate you. Then 10 years later, if you're lucky, your career is over.

Thats why you play on the PGA - there are probably 70 guys on that tour who are largely anonymous and would be raking in the cash

Sportspeople are generally boring. How many are actually interesting? And even the ones with loud personalities are general twats.

When you’re in a country like Australia, the UK, America, * anywhere really, and you concentrate on one thing forever then you’re going to be very one dimensional. Bob Murphy reckons he’s unique because he’s got other interests. Most famous, very good athletes have no other passion. At least back in the 90s and s**t soccer players and tennis players were into music and drinking. Nowadays an extra-curricular activity is liking bikini shots on instagram. These days they’re all focused from 16 at the absolute latest too, and they’ve tunnel visioned into sport, and the stakes are so high they can’t find themselves with bands or books or whatever else.

Not to mention having a whole life where your parents, other adults, and coaches tell you how good you are and then having nothing but people tell you how cool, funny, and good with chicks you are because you’re good at sport too. Most are so arrogant and conceited to go along with their cardboard, two dimensional self and outlook.

If I could be ‘successfully mediocre’ at one of them it’d be AFL footballer - to be able to say you played one game of AFL would be so cool. Probably cooler than spending six years on a list and managing 32 or something.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats why you play on the PGA - there are probably 70 guys on that tour who are largely anonymous and would be raking in the cash

European Tour is the best tour to play. Some of the sights & views you'd get to take in wowee.

Lets be honest which one you choose to be is the one you get best tax benefit from

None of the above
But sports star of those options
Not into drugs /alcohol so not being able to use them is no big deal
I like sport far more than movies too, and concerts give me headaches so being a musician wouldn’t work well for me unless I was say , a pianist

Musician without any doubt in the world.

Imagine walking out onto a stage in front of 50,000 people who have come just to see you. It'd be an indescribable feeling.
Yeah but imagine playing the same set over and over again, the same 5 shows in a week sort of deal would just become any other job after a while.

I'll take top sports star, be at my peak for lets say 10 years, make my millions then retire without any further expectations and hopefully with a solidified legacy than you can't ruin when you are washed up. (musicians always expected to keep performing and being creative) Come out of the woodwork whenever I want to to give my opinion and feel like attention.

Thriving on competition and the need to be directly better than those around you, pumping up the adrenaline with the highs of winning and lows of losing is what life is all about.

Acting seems like the worst when it comes to doing the 'work' due to the amount of hours needed to produce something and repeating it again and again and again until it is how the director wants it, not to mention a lot of what you do probably won't make the final cut.

Yeah but imagine playing the same set over and over again, the same 5 shows in a week sort of deal would just become any other job after a while.

I'll take top sports star, be at my peak for lets say 10 years, make my millions then retire without any further expectations and hopefully with a solidified legacy than you can't ruin when you are washed up. (musicians always expected to keep performing and being creative) Come out of the woodwork whenever I want to to give my opinion and feel like attention.

Thriving on competition and the need to be directly better than those around you, pumping up the adrenaline with the highs of winning and lows of losing is what life is all about.

Acting seems like the worst when it comes to doing the 'work' due to the amount of hours needed to produce something and repeating it again and again and again until it is how the director wants it, not to mention a lot of what you do probably won't make the final cut.
Talking to a massive Springsteen fan, his sets are never the same (there are some staples obviously), but from night to night there can be 15-20 different songs. Obviously he is one of the exceptions, and your point is valid, but musicians love what they do and would get a kick playing the songs IMO.

Being a professional athlete would be great too.

Acting would be sick. The shame is a lot of even good actors these days end up enslaved to the franchise mechanic or intending to go down the 'do a big movie to bankroll the cool ones' route but never end up getting around to funding, filming, and starring in the cool ones.

The good thing is you don't even have to be that good looking. If you are then you can dress like a complete imbecile and be fat like Leo and still pull because you were pretty when you were 21. But if you're ugly or short then you can overcome that easily too and still be bagging 6'0 models if you're cheeky, endearing, or cool enough.

Plus who wouldn't want to look back and see the magnitude of a good film they were in?

Guess that's the issue though... be an awesome soccer player and everyone will realise it. Be a great actor and you can make the wrong choices (always in retrospect) and end up meh, whereas someone even worse who was in the good stuff reaps the reminiscing and awards.

The only people who do that are s**t utensil rock arena bands like Muse, massive pop stars like Taylor Swift (though she slots in a new song or two every show), or bands with tiny tiny budgets who barely make money and have a shitty sound and lights guy who needs the exact set every night so he can plan all that.

No one really dreams of that.

I'd love to be in a band that maybe gets to play second or third billing at massive festivals, get the nice sundown sets. Play wherever you want to generally 2,000 people a night, get nice theatres and a day off or so every couple of nights. And enough to take a year off to actually write a good album. That way you play 50 different songs across two nights if you really want to.

I don't think most people expect you to sustain success. No band ever really has. They say there's a six year period where you write the most and the best stuff of your career and I agree with that, but most people only get 25 songs down in that time or even just one album and a few b-sides. Write one crackin LP and you can sell the * out and do a full album performance tour or just go on the festival circuit forever, peppering out the odd okay single every now and then.

The only people who do that are s**t utensil rock arena bands like Muse, massive pop stars like Taylor Swift (though she slots in a new song or two every show), or bands with tiny tiny budgets who barely make money and have a shitty sound and lights guy who needs the exact set every night so he can plan all that.

No one really dreams of that.

I'd love to be in a band that maybe gets to play second or third billing at massive festivals, get the nice sundown sets. Play wherever you want to generally 2,000 people a night, get nice theatres and a day off or so every couple of nights. And enough to take a year off to actually write a good album. That way you play 50 different songs across two nights if you really want to.

I don't think most people expect you to sustain success. No band ever really has. They say there's a six year period where you write the most and the best stuff of your career and I agree with that, but most people only get 25 songs down in that time or even just one album and a few b-sides. Write one crackin LP and you can sell the **** out and do a full album performance tour or just go on the festival circuit forever, peppering out the odd okay single every now and then.
I'm assuming you've read Fever Pitch, I reckon you might also enjoy Juliet Naked by Hornby.

Actor. Easily. They have the longest shelf-life - you can do it as a kid or as a 90 year old. They get paid millions for a few months' worth of work a year. They get to travel the world. They get to work with a bunch of other talented people. They get to go to all those self-congratulatory awards ceremonies and drunkenly hit on Scarlett Johannsen at the after-parties. It's probably the most boring choice of the bunch, but the most sensible.

Musician would be good when you're young but would suck as you get older. Most musicians have their golden period and then fade into obscurity, and then have to go the rest of their lives singing the same old songs that they wrote 10-20 years ago to a crowd of middle aged fans. Imagine being Shakira and having to perform "Hips Don't Lie" every other night for the rest of your life.

Sports star is the worst of the bunch. Unless you play some soft sport like golf or baseball, you'd end up with a buggered body by age 50. I'd also hate to be an AFL/NRL player who has to go and get a regular job after they retire. Maybe if you were a top-of-the-line singles athlete (Federer, Woods) or a European soccer player it'd be alright... millions in endorsement deals every year. The 10-15 years of being a pro-athlete would be pretty exciting, but being known as a "former pro-athlete" for the rest of your life would be a bit of a drag.

Last edited:
Back