List Mgmt. Coaching Changes for 2019 - Mattner, Wright, Godden IN; Francou, Kaesler, O'Keefe OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

Craig admits that it was he that ran out of steam. This year was one we need forget like the gf. Murphys law ruled.

However Hart didn't survive the extensive review at Collingwood. That review seemed to work.

One thing though. The game changed in 2005. Defending become zones. Not man on man.

I wouldn't want a forward or defensive coach who played mostly after 2005. I would want someone older. Someone who remembers the space and skills required to defend and attack.
Hart was long gone prior to the major review at Collingwood

Without the funds that AFL clubs have, SANFL coaches have to rely on creating a good culture and forming good relationships to get success.. Two of the most successful in recent times would bring both those things to a club that is crying out for it..
Both good appointments, just would’ve liked someone else instead of Hart..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think you are on the money. The Club obviously worked out that what is going on upstairs in the players' minds is the area to be tapped as an advantage over other teams. Unfortunately CM sprouted all the words we wanted to hear but didn't actually deliver on the promises. I see the appointments of Mattner and Godden, along with Pyke, as continuing with the positive psychology approach but from a new tack. What has been posted on Mattner and Godden are their abilities to develop team/positive cultures/team relationships etc. This style obviously works with the current generation of young AFL footballers and seen as path to success. Gone are the days of the fire and brimstone coaches who tear strips of the team at every break. This generation of footballers appears to not be as resilient as others. Perhaps this is one strategy to address player retention?

However the Hart one doesn't make sense to me. Is there another young Hart we hope to Father and Son and so we need to keep dad happy?

I like the Godden and Mattner appointments but this isn't an industry best coaching panel. There wouldn't be any in that list of coaches that opposition clubs would be goong out of there way to try to poach with the exception of Mattner.

Godden?

Is the club taking the piss? Godden reeks of being a bottom of the barrel appointment because we couldn't find anyone else.

What happened to Fagan saying that we're going to assemble the best coaching panel in football?

Honestly is there a less inspiring and more insular assistant coaching line up than this?

Senior Assistant / Game Strategy – Scott Camporeale
Defensive Coach – Marty Mattner
Midfield Coach – Michael Godden
Forwards Coach – Ben Hart
Rucks Coach – Matthew Clarke

This reminds of me of the dark days at Port when they had the had likes of Brad Gotch, Tyson Edwards etc on their coaching panel.

I am not sure where we're spending our footy department cap because it's definitely not being spent on our coaching panel.

Last edited:
Don’t understand the hart bit at all, we were happy for him to look for opportunities, none came, so now he’s forwards coach?

Most likely that we couldn't find anyone else

Mick Godden and Ben Hart are the types of appointments you make when you have a dearth of interested parties.

We either were offering two fifths of FA or no one wants to come to our club.

Last edited:
Buckley is still a dud. Somebody they acquired over the 2017 off-season is the brains behind the Pies recent success. Maybe Longmuir.

No way would I believe Buckley suddenly woke up as a decent coach after 7 years of mediocrity.
I dunno with Bucks.

I never really liked his list management when he took over with the guys he moved on after them being a young premiership side. That being said, always found him to be rather fascinating to listen to and seems to have a good understanding of the game which just didn't quite translate to onfield performance. So I at least believe the brains are there, it just wasn't translating.

I believe they basically had a different head of football every year for the first 5 odd years of his coaching tenure at the club which certainly wouldn't help.

Terrible appointment of Hart to forwards.

Where is all our soft cap going?
Hart - base rate no one wants.
Godden - first year assistant. Base.
Mattner - first year assistant. Base.
Campo. Part timer, not that interested. Wouldn’t command big dollars.
Clarke - long time coach. No chance of being poached.. small dollars.
Younie - SANFL meh. Small dollars.
Wright/Reilly/Thomas development coaches. Small money.
Haas - uni student
Burton - mates with Roo. Kicked out of Lions. Lower money for role compared to others (Balme etc)

Where exactly is it all going that we can’t afford best football department people? (Cough Longmuir)
Have we chucked it all into the high performance Sanders? Ie the mess Burton created?

Club is stupid and it’s decisions like these that are costing us flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy to miss since he played 0 games for us as pick 116 in the 92 draft.

He played in a trial game once, but it was against an SANFL side. It was back in the early days where the main side would play an AFL opponent in a trial while the rest of the list would play first against a SANFL side.

The only reason I remember that was because there were a couple of old grannies that day who keep calling him "Gooden" and for some bizarre reason that memory has stuck with me for 25+ years while other great memories that I should remember have been completely forgotten.

Godden was fairly experimental this year in his set ups at centre bounces. He liked using the bigger bodies of the Hayes boys on the ball at the ball up and immediately they’d run down forward and others would come in.

I hope he can develop players like Milera, Laird, Smith, Atkins and Fogarty to be as capable on the ball as they are in their set positions. If even just one or two of the above could make that transfer it would give our midfield a whole new look.

Don't know a lot about Godden, but reading around I can see when in charge at WWT they've never missed the finals, were minor premier from 2015-17 and had a flag in 2011 with 2 other GF appearances.

I like that we've finally moved Campo out of the midfield position, and I've got a feeling that with Clarke doing AFLW coaching we might be looking at moving him out in the next year or so.

Don't mind Mattner in defence but Hart as the Forwards coach is underwhelming.

On balance, slightly more positive about next year.

I wanted Godden for Burton's role. He seems like a guy who can implement a team wide philosophy. I don't know how I feel about him taking over the mids. I wasn't a huge fan of Campo in that role either though.

He played in a trial game once, but it was against an SANFL side. It was back in the early days where the main side would play an AFL opponent in a trial while the rest of the list would play first against a SANFL side.

The only reason I remember that was because there were a couple of old grannies that day who keep calling him "Gooden" and for some bizarre reason that memory has stuck with me for 25+ years while other great memories that I should remember have been completely forgotten.
Even the AFC have forgotten about that game.

Most likely that we couldn't find anyone else

Mick Godden and Ben Hart are the types of appointments you make when you have a dearth of interested parties.

We either were offering two fifths of FA or no one wants to come to our club.

Well unlike Hart, Godden actually has a fairly successful state league coaching resume. And we've finally gotten someone else in to take on our midfield structures. Literally anyone is better than another year of Campo's stale ideas.

I do agree that our coaching panel isn't exactly loaded with high caliber, in demand coaches. But that's only a problem if the guys you are hiring are unqualified spuds, which neither Mattner nor Godden appear to be.

We also have increased our AFL coaching panel by 1. We very easily could have kept Campo as midfield coach, brought in Godden for the forward line, Mattner for backs, and dumped Hart. But instead we wanted more personnel and more ideas, so we added.

I'm not normally the most positive about our moves but I think this one is a firm 'wait and see'.

Hart as forwards coach is going to be rough man. Not sure about that one.
"Hey Tex, how ya doin, it's Ben. Yeah Ben. Ben Hart. Yeah, how ya doing Tex. Just touching base with you for next year..... Nah, I'm forwards coach next year..... No, I'm not joking. Will probably get announced in the media in a day or two..... Yeah I'm deadly serious. Hello...Hello... phone must have dropped out"

Last edited:
Godden was fairly experimental this year in his set ups at centre bounces. He liked using the bigger bodies of the Hayes boys on the ball at the ball up and immediately they’d run down forward and others would come in.

I hope he can develop players like Milera, Laird, Smith, Atkins and Fogarty to be as capable on the ball as they are in their set positions. If even just one or two of the above could make that transfer it would give our midfield a whole new look.
As a WWTFC supporter Godden record was great barring GF's. Replenishing sides year in and year out. I believe a great acquisition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back