Richmond-Gold Coast blatant draft tampering

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course AFL want the best for GC and limited trouble so signed of on it but it creates a pretty dangerous precedent wouldn’t you say? Everyone will do it now and the FA comp will implode

Maybe not so bad

You aren’t suggesting that the AFL do things with no thought of the consequences are you ?

So clubs have never let players go for greater opportunities for little to nothing?

Quick! Someone call Gil to stop this travesty!

Did you read my post? I said that this one wasnt a big deal and I don't see anyone caring enough to make an issue of it.

But you can't remove it from the Lynch signing and GC's decision not to match, particularly as they got announced together, and you can't ignore the potential for manipulation of the system.

For those wondering C.Ellis who?

He is a skilled left footer who is a still developing version of this bloke.

dom-sheed-goal_l0ony5almbai1xdq8v0hdq4ln.jpg

So the Suns decide not to match the Lynch deal, low and behold less than 2 hours later 2 Richmond players are off to the Suns at discounted rates (swap of future 3rd round picks, or around pick 50), call me cynical bit this is blatant draft tampering, i would love to see the contract details of these Richmond players, i wonder if Richmond might be paying a portion of their salary?
I like the thread title and while the timing is a bit suspect I think you're overrating their actual worth to Rich. With 16 games between them over the last 2 years they barely even provide depth value. That said being experienced bodies they'll be handy additions to GC.

Draft tampering is when a player or team try to get the player to fall to their pick in the draft. Example in 2000 Essendon and James Davies were investigated for Draft tampering after Davies did not attend the combine or play the in the u18 championships, he refused to talk to any other club and then Essendon drafted him with their first pick. They were both found not guilty. But that is an example of what it is.

Dud selection and dud bloke as an aside.

The issue isn't the deal between the clubs. It's the manipulation of the free agency system.

In this case it's probably fine, but there's a situation not too far from this that gets pretty dodgy.

Consider this hypothetical with fake sides:

Sharks finish 9th, their gun full forward John Smith is a restricted free agent
Bulls sign him on a 6 year 8 million dollar deal.

Sharks can either match the deal and trade him or receive compensation pick 10.
They want to match because he's better than pick 10 and they can keep him or trade him for two first round picks like Gibbs, Lever, Treloar etc.
Bulls trade 2 pretty decent 25 year old fringe players who are each valued as pick 30-40 to the Sharks for one pick 60, the Sharks don't match the deal and keep pick 10.

Sharks get pick 10 and two nice fringe players. Bulls get a star full forward and only give up two fringe players for less than what they are worth. That's getting dodgy, but maybe it's still not too bad. The real worse case scenario would be where the player doesn't match the compensation but is artificially being overpaid to create compo. That's another story for another time.

The AFL decides on compensation picks after the trade has been completed, not before. So any club trying to rort the system risks losing their compo pick.

Oh, and regarding this trade? Two VFL players for a minor pick swap (to make the trade legal you have to swap something), is, according to some salty Collingwood-supporting dude, tampering and unethical? Grow up mate.

Did you read my post? I said that this one wasnt a big deal and I don't see anyone caring enough to make an issue of it.

But you can't remove it from the Lynch signing and GC's decision not to match, particularly as they got announced together, and you can't ignore the potential for manipulation of the system.
You can, seeing as what they should/gc hope they will be able to bring.

Miles - solid citizen which we all know GC is desperate for

C.Ellis - young, talented, injuries prevented a good run at it. Cost nothing with potential to be a 22 player for years to come (known commodity vs 18 yr old long shot)

It’s not like we gave up say K.Mac for a pick in the 50’s, that would be circumspect

To make the argument that this is tampering you have to make the argument that two uncontracted depth players - 1 who has played 6 games in the past 2 seasons and will be 27 at next seasons start, the other who has spent 4 seasons on the list without really improving and has a career average off 11 disposals - are worth more than a pick in the 50s overall.

Spoiler, they aren't. Even without Lynch this is about where they would sit.

Lloyd and Stengle should likely go for something similar which proves the point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C.Ellis - young, talented, injuries prevented a good run at it. Cost nothing with potential to be a 22 player for years to come (known commodity vs 18 yr old long shot)

I wouldn't expect Corey Ellis to be anymore of a 'known' commodity. Hardly shown that he's 100% going to have a career, not much different to a "18 year old long shot" at this stage (and yes this is taking the fact he's had injury issues - they aren't a good thing for a career prediction).

Also, why are people mentioning salary cap space? They were uncontracted. If they hadn’t gone to GC, they would probably have been delisted.

It’s simply a way to get 2 players to where they want to go, because otherwise they were back in the draft with no control over where they go.

I wouldn't expect Corey Ellis to be anymore of a 'known' commodity. Hardly shown that he's 100% going to have a career, not much different to a "18 year old long shot" at this stage (and yes this is taking the fact he's had injury issues - they aren't a good thing for a career prediction).
C.Ellis has had different injuries each time, and took a while to get back into the team.

He’s shown what he CAN do it’s just a matter of he doesn’t do it consistently enough compared to others. He’s too good for VFL but was just too inconsistent to make it into our team where spots are at a high premium

We gave: two depth players and a future 3rd (PROBABLY in the 50s)
We got: salary cap relief and a future 3rd (PROBABLY in the 30s)

Doesn't seem too ridiculous to me.
Unless you wanted GC to match and trade Lynch for those two, allowing us to keep our compo pick for Conca.
Mmmm yeh i must admit it didn't seem strange to me at all. Lots of sheninigans go down for the fringe and depth players. Sometimes just as much about the salary dump as it is the picks.

I don't see the problem.

Gold Coast are providing opportunities for fringe players with not much trade value to continue their AFL careers. Richmond clearly dont see much senior opportunity for Ellis and Miles and under AFL rules have to trade them for something.

How is what Gold Coast and Richmond did today different to say Sam Gibson, who finished sixth in the club's best and fairest being traded from North Melbourne to Adelaide in return for Pick 91 last year? Or former No.16 pick in the 2007 Draft, Matthew Lobbe going from Port Adelaide to Carlton for Pick 95? Neither 91 or 95 was used by either club in the 2017 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back