2019 planning (2018 finals, trade and draft discussion here too)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Radio reporting that there will be a mid-season rookie draft, and that clubs will also be able to draft rookie players if a senior player goes down with a long term injury. This throws a spanner in the works for RDT, and will be interesting to see how it is managed. Will also be interesting to see how teams manage it and if any teams do use that option and pick up any players, and if they then get games. The more rookie options for us, the better.
I would assume that any player picked up mid season would merely be added to the teams lists and i further assume they would be at rookie pricing. :) :thumbsu:
Will be interesting to see how the AFL look at a clubs salary cap if they are wanting to add a rookie mid season.

With A Hall likely to go to North I feel he will be a great pick up next year along with Hanners.
Hopefully some of these bargain guys getting traded get DPP

Just thinking about Tim Kelly, if he goes then that could open up the door for Charlie Constable to be a gun rookie for next year. Hopefully Constable has bulked up enough by then as he was a bit skinny this year.

Just thinking about Tim Kelly, if he goes then that could open up the door for Charlie Constable to be a gun rookie for next year. Hopefully Constable has bulked up enough by then as he was a bit skinny this year.
On the Dahlhaus move, I think Dahlhaus at Geelong will be played predominantly forward, so doubt we see a return to the days where he put up very good scores every week. Is that going to be the consensus ??

On the Dahlhaus move, I think Dahlhaus at Geelong will be played predominantly forward, so doubt we see a return to the days where he put up very good scores every week. Is that going to be the consensus ??
I'd say so

Geelongs midfield is deeper than ours so don't think he'd run through there much, if at all, but their outside types and forward of centre smalls are pretty average so yeah, definitely seems to be a role for him.

Probably average around 80 again

On todays trade period news, will Miles be cheap enough to be relevant next year ?? Played 5 games in 2017 and 1 game this year. And will Shiel getting to Essendon mean he goes to the next level and becomes relevant as a premo mid, or does his aquisition just help Merrett and Heppell more ??

On todays trade period news, will Miles be cheap enough to be relevant next year ?? Played 5 games in 2017 and 1 game this year. And will Shiel getting to Essendon mean he goes to the next level and becomes relevant as a premo mid, or does his aquisition just help Merrett and Heppell more ??
I think Merrett is cheap enough to average around what he averaged this season, worst case scenario

How Shiel affects Smith, Heppell, Zaharakis scoring etc will be interesting though

Yep Miles could be relevant, but he needs a big preseason first, we've seen Barlow barely feature and Lyons who is their most consistent mid be dropped. Dew needs to be trusted first I feel in regards to job security for all relevant Gold Coast players

I agree with Miles. Believe he will average at a minimum of 85 yet he will be priced at no more than 60. I see him spending quite a bit of time in the midfield.
Already have around 10 certain starters for next year unless something untoward happens.

I can't see WC coming up with a suitable trade hence i feel that Kelly will still be there next year. Rohan going to Geelong could have an influence as well.

Just off the top of my head from trade period

Brisbane: Neale, yep will pick him over Zorko. Zorko should get the tag again, Neale is consistent enough

Carlton: Setterfield, hopefully under 200k, maybe Nic Newman too as a punt

Fremantle: Lobb, check for DPP and role I guess

Gold Coast: Miles hopefully as a midpricer, not sure if Ellis will be cheap enough as a cash cow

Hawthorn: Wingard? If he gets mid time then maybe, should be DPP again

North: Pittard + Hall? Preseason watchlist

Port: I think with the midfield departures, perhaps Rocky gets more mid time again, hopefully he gets DPP also. Needs a strong preseason though. Hopefully Lycett gets DPP also to be a potential R3-F6 option

St Kilda: Hanners? Will be cheap, but needs to show he's fit again

About it really that stands out to me at the moment. Not interested in Beams or Shiel, I think Beams hinders Taylor Adams potentially, they're similar type of midfielders, short and stocky type of mould. I think with Collingwood it'll be wait and see in regards to who is their highest scoring mid. Zerrett is the only one from Essendon I'll start with.

Just off the top of my head from trade period

Brisbane: Neale, yep will pick him over Zorko. Zorko should get the tag again, Neale is consistent enough

Carlton: Setterfield, hopefully under 200k, maybe Nic Newman too as a punt

Fremantle: Lobb, check for DPP and role I guess

Gold Coast: Miles hopefully as a midpricer, not sure if Ellis will be cheap enough as a cash cow

Hawthorn: Wingard? If he gets mid time then maybe, should be DPP again

North: Pittard + Hall? Preseason watchlist

Port: I think with the midfield departures, perhaps Rocky gets more mid time again, hopefully he gets DPP also. Needs a strong preseason though. Hopefully Lycett gets DPP also to be a potential R3-F6 option

St Kilda: Hanners? Will be cheap, but needs to show he's fit again

About it really that stands out to me at the moment. Not interested in Beams or Shiel, I think Beams hinders Taylor Adams potentially, they're similar type of midfielders, short and stocky type of mould. I think with Collingwood it'll be wait and see in regards to who is their highest scoring mid. Zerrett is the only one from Essendon I'll start with.
Of all the tradees the only ones I expect to have next year are setterfield, miles, hanners, hall, Kent and possibly horlin smith

Of all the tradees the only ones I expect to have next year are setterfield, miles, hanners, hall, Kent and possibly horlin smith
Will GHS be cheap enough to make cash?

Averaged 63 but played 4 games so should get a discount

If he's under 300k maybe he's worth the risk, but over 300k and I wouldn't bother. Miles will be better value I'd imagine in regards to scoring output.

Kent is an interesting one

His 3 full games he scored really well for his role, 86, 93, 77

Had the 2 injury games which lowered his price to a 57 average from 5 games. Durability seems to be a massive issue and could be an early burnt trade, but he could easily average 70-75 it seems if he gets a run at it and be a Christensen type midpricer/cash cow pick

Will GHS be cheap enough to make cash?

Averaged 63 but played 4 games so should get a discount

If he's under 300k maybe he's worth the risk, but over 300k and I wouldn't bother. Miles will be better value I'd imagine in regards to scoring output.

Kent is an interesting one

His 3 full games he scored really well for his role, 86, 93, 77

Had the 2 injury games which lowered his price to a 57 average from 5 games. Durability seems to be a massive issue and could be an early burnt trade, but he could easily average 70-75 it seems if he gets a run at it and be a Christensen type midpricer/cash cow pick
GHS is only a watch at this stage. His average was impacted by a injury affected 20 in those 4. Likely to be in play a lot as I imagine the ball will be in his vicinity most of the time.
I'm thinking that Kent will get far more opportunities at St.Kilda and if his body can hold up I feel he could be a top 10 forward next year. As in past years one needs to take a punt or two.
Unbelievably, I already have 18-19 that appear to be certain starters for next year assuming injury doesn't come into play. My defense is already complete with Doch, Williams, Smith, Hanley, Roberton and Birchall although Hartlett may find his way into the 22 with Birchall going to the bench.
Only 10 weeks or so to go and we will get all the info via assistant coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2018 Number of times Played-on after behind scored. (highest per team)

A Witherden 52
S Hurn 51
H Shaw 48
K Simpson 46
J Lloyd 43
T Stewart 42
McKenna 36
C Salem 27
D Houston 25
J Harbrow 25
B Williams 23
J Macmillan 20
N Wilson 17
L Dunne 16
J Short 15
L Brown 15
J Sicily 12
L Webster 9
Good numbers for Williams that considering he played multiple positions at times and got injured and was out for 6-7 weeks

Could be our next breakout contender

2018 Number of times Played-on after behind scored. (highest per team)

A Witherden 52
S Hurn 51
H Shaw 48
K Simpson 46
J Lloyd 43
T Stewart 42
McKenna 36
C Salem 27
D Houston 25
J Harbrow 25
B Williams 23
J Macmillan 20
N Wilson 17
L Dunne 16
J Short 15
L Brown 15
J Sicily 12
L Webster 9
Difference is that next year a player who kicks out after a behind will play on every time. Not sure how cd will record these kick ins.

Agreed. This will need to be clarified one way or the other before the season starts.

Fairly certain CD already tweeted something on it, same scoring applies, once a player leaves the square umpire calls play on and kick or handball counts as a stat

This stage of the year is normally all about looking at who 2019's value picks will be. As stated earlier, I already have 18-19 players I am more than confident will be in my starting 30 next year (barring injuries). However, with only 11 vacancies I have no-one from the following teams:
Brisbane, Bulldogs, Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong and West Coast.
Am I missing anyone from these 6 clubs who you feel will likely be in your starting squad next year? I'm referring to existing players - not those who will be drafted next month.
Thoughts???

This stage of the year is normally all about looking at who 2019's value picks will be. As stated earlier, I already have 18-19 players I am more than confident will be in my starting 30 next year (barring injuries). However, with only 11 vacancies I have no-one from the following teams:
Brisbane, Bulldogs, Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong and West Coast.
Am I missing anyone from these 6 clubs who you feel will likely be in your starting squad next year? I'm referring to existing players - not those who will be drafted next month.
Thoughts???

Libba
Treloar
Jake Lloyd
Gaff

The first 4 that sprang to mind with zero research

Libba
Treloar
Jake Lloyd
Gaff

Don't feel that Treloar, Lloyd or Gaff offer value for what you will pay for them.
Libba is certainly an option that I had forgotten about. Just have to worry if his leg will stand up.
A few others that I have discovered that could be options from those clubs are - D Moore, Lynch and Darling.

Libba
Treloar
Jake Lloyd
Gaff

Don't feel that Treloar, Lloyd or Gaff offer value for what you will pay for them.
Libba is certainly an option that I had forgotten about. Just have to worry if his leg will stand up.
A few others that I have discovered that could be options from those clubs are - D Moore, Lynch and Darling.

Darcy god no, god god god no (would go Fasolo as a blue over Darcy)
Lynch...no no no

Darling...maybe

Darcy god no, god god god no (would go Fasolo as a blue over Darcy)
Lynch...no no no

Darling...maybe
Moore will be priced at around 38 next year. Basically a high priced rookie. He averaged 62 from his 21 games in 2017 and if he were able to do that let alone improve on it, he could be worthwhile. Biggest issue is his body, which is why I'm pleased he decided to stay at Collingwood rather than go to the Swans.
Lynch averaged 80, 86 and 80 over his previous past 3 years playing in an absolute shite team. As the main focal point at Richmond I expect him to improve dramatically on the 67 he will be priced at next year.
Darling will be priced at 76 yet if you take out his two games when he was injured early he averaged 86 for the year. That even includes 3 games of 45 or less.
I feel Lynch will average more than Darling and he will cost significantly less.
Sheed could be a likely midfield option also as he is priced at 74 yet he averaged 98 through the finals where he spent a lot more time in the midfield.
Our two JLT games will tell us a little. Not sure where Collingwood plan to play Moore next year which will have a huge bearing on his scoring potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back