Traded Jesse Hogan [traded with #65 to Fremantle for #6 and #23]

Remove this Banner Ad

If that’s what Freo wants, I don’t know what else needs to be said.
Agree. Their rookie list manager has made it clear in a statement that they would not be proceeding with a trade.

He couldn’t have made himself any clearer. It would be a monumental and embarrassing backflip for him to go back on his word now.

Question for everyone:

What do you think Hogans worth is if he sits out next year or is injured for most of it?

I'm thinking would still fetch a late late first or early second

Agree. Their rookie list manager has made it clear in a statement that they would not be proceeding with a trade.

He couldn’t have made himself any clearer. It would be a monumental and embarrassing backflip for him to go back on his word now.
You have said Bell will flip a few times now ill take that bet, loser donates $50 to testicular cancer foundation?

Nah. The quote on the Melbourne website was revisionist.

Try the quotes from the 8th Oct:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-08/hogan-call-first-then-demons-will-look-at-may

At that stage, Mahoney was clear that Hogan hadn’t decided he wanted to go. Mahoney was graceful enough to say it was his choice, but when he decides we’ll be able to trade in May.
Hey Colombo, that article was from the 8th of October, the one with Mahoney talking about Jessie wanting to leave is from the 12th of October. It couldn’t possibly be the he’d made his mind up to leave?

My comparison is based on a 23-year-old KPF with a form record which stacks up against some of the best players ever to play the game at his age.

What would a 23-year-old Buddy Franklin have been worth in a trade?

There's a serious underrating of Hogan around here. I don't want him to go, but at the same time, it's pretty destabilising to have the 'will he won't he' drama rock around every two years. So I don't blame the club. Personally, I still think they'll demand 5 (from the Neale deal) plus 11.
Buddy had kicked 305 goals in 102 games by the time he was 23. There is no comparison at all. You keep overrating Hogan on 'potential' when a superstar at age 23 should be well past the potential phase.

Hey Colombo, that article was from the 8th of October, the one with Mahoney talking about Jessie wanting to leave is from the 12th of October. It couldn’t possibly be the he’d made his mind up to leave?

The point is, Mahoney had made up his mind he wanted May (and therefore Hogan gone) before Hogan decided he wanted to leave. Jesse Hogan was pushed.

Jon Ralph, Herald Sun

Neale is a free agent who will walk from Fremantle - albeit for a compensation pick - and will spend the year stewing given he has already told Ross Lyon, Steve Rosich and Peter Bell he won’t play for them =
COMPLETELY MADE THIS s**t UP GO READ NEALES B&F SPEACH

"But while the downside of Fremantle passing on Hogan is that they will never again have the chance to recruit him, the Demons just play Hogan for a year, trade him as a non-free agent then get May as a free agent next year=
SO WE NEVER HAVE THE CHANCE TO GET HOGAN AGAIN BUT MAY AUTOMATICALLY GOES TO MELBOURNE NEXT YEAR ????

Fremantle will lose Neale in 12 months and still have done little to solve their forward woes=
IF YOU CAN SEE INTO THE FUTURE TELL ME SOMETHING BLOODY USEFULL LIKE THE LOTTO NUMBERS YOU PARROT
May is a free agent next year, Hogan’s not. The comment that you’ll never get a chance again relates to you burning your bridges this year by walking away when a deal was there to be done.

Put yourself in Hogan’s shoes. You guys chaise him for 4 years, relentlessly. You put a big money offer on the the table and for the first time he shows actual interest. You then value him asa P11 player and then walk away.

I think and hope he resign on a long term deal at Melbourne and we can be threw with you peasants.

Buddy had kicked 305 goals in 102 games by the time he was 23. There is no comparison at all. You keep overrating Hogan on 'potential' when a superstar at age 23 should be well past the potential phase.
I wasn't going to comment in this thread any more because it's just a slanging match with no point but come on, of course there are no comparisons. Did buddy have multiple injuries including cancer and have his father die? Or is it because Hogan has a drug problem that some of you unsubtlely insinuate?

It really doesn't matter how much people talk up or down his value, what will happen will happen without our input. But do we have to be slanderous and insulting to the player and each other about it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you even read peoples posts? Or just go off half cocked? Clearly Melbourne as a professional sporting organisation is going to capitalise on a key player wanting to go home. Capitalise by way of using that to fill a need. We’re getting on the front foot. But if a deal isn’t done, well your staying with us. And the player is happy to stay. Kelly is also happy to stay another year if he can’t get to WC. Neale is not happy and is demanding a trade from all reports. Nothing about happy to stay next year.

I was demonstrating how other teams have handled the situation without running to media. Not only that, when he ran to the media he weakened your trading situation.

May is a free agent next year, Hogan’s not. The comment that you’ll never get a chance again relates to you burning your bridges this year by walking away when a deal was there to be done.

Put yourself in Hogan’s shoes. You guys chaise him for 4 years, relentlessly. You put a big money offer on the the table and for the first time he shows actual interest. You then value him asa P11 player and then walk away.

I think and hope he resign on a long term deal at Melbourne and we can be threw with you peasants.
Free agents attract multiple bids you guys will be struggling to pick him up next year.

If you guys wanted to trade hogan at a fair value including all the risk he is carrying it would of been done already, instead you have asked a ludicrous amount and have seriously burned your bridges with him. He knows where we are when he wants to cone home.

The point is, Mahoney had made up his mind he wanted May (and therefore Hogan gone) before Hogan decided he wanted to leave. Jesse Hogan was pushed.
No he wasn’t.

Unless Mahoney is a stone faced lier. His literal quote was Hogan came to the club and said he wanted to explore other opportunities in Perth playing for Freo.

The club didn’t go to him,

Free agents attract multiple bids you guys will be struggling to pick him up next year.

If you guys wanted to trade hogan at a fair value including all the risk he is carrying it would of been done already, instead you have asked a ludicrous amount and have seriously burned your bridges with him. He knows where we are when he wants to cone home.
You put a mil a year on the table and offer P11 as a trade...

You guys are a laughing stock

No he wasn’t.

Unless Mahoney is a stone faced lier. His literal quote was Hogan came to the club and said he wanted to explore other opportunities in Perth playing for Freo.

Yet they planned on May pretty quickly rather than on trying to keep him to his contract.

Counted chickens.

Looks like Neale is off to Queensland. I just want to let the Lions fans know that you guys are getting a gun, he’s the best small midfielder I’ve seen in my time (25 years) at Freo. He’ll easily be your best player soon (sorry Zorks).

The second best small mid we’ve ever had is Peter Bell. What the f*** is he doing?!?

Short blokes from Korea tend to go nuclear and it looks like he’s pressed the button on half a dozen clubs trade plans... I’d rather Bell go nuclear than the other short Korean bloke but still, f*** me. I am completely terrified of him and he’s only been in the building a week.

No he wasn’t.

Here’s the first quote.
"We're not sure at the moment, he's got a bit of thinking to do over the next few days," Mahoney told NAB AFL Trade Radio.

"We had a conversation at the end of the season with Jesse about his future and it's well documented the struggles he went through over the last 18 months and he's to be applauded for his efforts to be able to do what he's done this year.

"But he's at the stage in his career that he's got to think about what is the next phase for him, and he said to us one thing he wants to consider is, is going back to Perth a chance?

"He's going to take the next few days to think about that."

Here’s the later quote.
"At the end of the season, Jesse expressed his interest to explore other opportunities, and to return to Perth and play for Fremantle," head of football Josh Mahoney said.

"We believe our offer was reasonable given Jesse’s record as a 71-game player.

"Jesse has been with us since he was 17 and has gone through some well-documented personal issues, particularly in the last two years, so we were comfortable to support his request.

"It was made clear to Jesse that if we were unable to complete an appropriate deal for both clubs, he will remain a Melbourne player.

"Both us, and Jesse, were happy with this."

Both sets of quotes are consistent with Hogan approaching the club and requesting a transfer, and also with Hogan going to an exit interview and being asked to consider being traded. No one needs to have lied.
Hogan being asked to consider leaving Melbourne is more consistent with the enthusiasm that Mahoney displayed in getting a May trade completed and getting an historic deal.

I wasn't going to comment in this thread any more because it's just a slanging match with no point but come on, of course there are no comparisons. Did buddy have multiple injuries including cancer and have his father die? Or is it because Hogan has a drug problem that some of you unsubtlely insinuate?

It really doesn't matter how much people talk up or down his value, what will happen will happen without our input. But do we have to be slanderous and insulting to the player and each other about it?
I don't think it's insulting to say that Jesse Hogan isn't as good as Buddy Franklin. One of your posters said that Fremantle were trading for "Buddy Franklin at 23" and I was merely pointing out that was a ridiculous comparison.

The fact that he's had multiple major injuries is part of the problem when assessing his value. For the record I haven't said a thing about his mental health or "drug problem" because I have no idea, don't care, and I agree that it's disrespectful when my mail is that he has great character and is a top bloke.

My main concern is whether his body will ever let him reach his potential because by the age of 23 he still hasn't been able to string together enough games to have a dominant season. This is the first year he's finished in the top 10 of the Coleman and he finished 10th in the final rankings in a record low year. People need to calm down about the generational talent stuff, he looks like he could be very good, but if he was going to be the best forward in the competition, we would know by now.

Last edited:
Could do a Chris Tarrant and turn his career around down back. Would be good.
he kicked 47 goals and probably would have kicked 60 if he didnt get injured.

He doesnt need to turn his career around

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back