Hogan worth

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
If he wants $8mil and we can afford it, front load the **** out of that contract!

The amount per year doesn't bother me as much as the length.

8 years is Buddy territory and Hogan aint near Buddy level of ability or injury 'luck'

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
a guy who has already had a full season back injury, cancer and the ongoing navicular issue.

without arguing about trade picks, of course any long contract is unthinkable.

a long contract for him could end up as one of those quiz night questions.

Megalon

Skills pay the bills
Jun 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
8 years is Buddy territory and Hogan aint near Buddy level of ability or injury 'luck'

And look how the Buddy contract has worked for the swans - 0 flags since he joined them, and they've lost high quality players like Mitchell (brownlow medallist) and Nankervis (premiership ruckman) because of the salary cap pressure. No thanks

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
8 years? **** that. If he gets injured we're screwed.
We gave Lynch 7 years and he is older, Hogan is real young 8 years doesn't sound that bizzare when you think of it. also both coming off injuries too, contracts like this are going to be the norm for any star players leaving clubs.

noise36

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surely they can put stuff in a contract so that the risk of long term injury or off field issues is somewhat removed or reduced?

A player that can kick 60+ goals a season can be the difference between a flag or not while you are in the window for one.

I would still like Hogan if the numbers make sense.

awaremind

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just like it worked for some of our other recruits :rolleyes:
Exactly, how much have we wasted on similar deals or tactics, Bennel, McCarthy, Sylvia, Simpson, Gumbleton and many more further back. I hope we’ve learnt. Certainly don’t pay overs or waste high draft picks on high risk players.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
How bout we sit on it for a year, see how his injury heals up and how he goes next season. Pick him up in a cheaper trade then when he's uncontracted. I'd do $8mill for 8 years then for a fit Hogan with no lingering issues, absolutely.

But if Melbourne want to admit they ****ed up and buckle for us at the eleventh hour this year, so be it.

LeftFootBanana

All Australian
Aug 7, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
8 years? Tell 'em they're dreaming.

Given Melbourne's exorbitant demands, the questions over recovery form his foot injury and now he and his management trying this on - thanks but no thanks.

They're taking the p155.

Back